Drain Flies...

Old 02-12-2017, 11:56 PM   #1

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 136

Drain Flies...

Thought I would ask this here. Hope it is okay in this section. Not really all that knowledgeable with pluming pests but I have seemed to run into an issue. I have drain flies showing up in two areas of my house; the first floor bathroom and the basement. Not sure where they are coming in. I have cleaned out all the drains and they were not around for a good 2 weeks but returned. Anyone have experience with ridding them?
http://www.perkinspreferredroofing.com

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 07:25 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 94

Re: Drain Flies...

A customer of mine had them last year, I cannot remember the name of them but they were really small, the size of fleas or smaller. Took a few months to get rid of them. Exterminator said they came in from the ground outside and would congregate at sink and shower drains. If it is wet or damp outside they stay outside. He sprayed outside right around the house, and she sprayed the drains constantly with some environmentally safe stuff.

Still took forever to get rid of them

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
Business Owner

Trade: Pest & Termite Control
Rewards Points: 6

Drain flies have the big wings compared to their body size. They could be coming from a drain trap, a crack in a sewer line in a slab, or a drain vent that has come loose in a wall. You could try putting a clear cup smeared with something sticky over suspect drains and see if you catch anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to P42003 For This Useful Post:
MarkJames (02-13-2017)

Old 02-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Handyman Services
Rewards Points: 9,499

It could be that an unused drain P-trap has dried out, as well. That's my first bet.

Pour some water down each of the unused drains to get some water into the traps. Unused basement floor drains, lavatories and tubs, etc. Some old laundry rooms may have a floor drain that's hiding under an appliance (not to be confused with drain pans with drain..just leave those alone).

After filling an old trap, a drop or two of oil (eg. mineral oil) will slow the evaporation for next time.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #5

Trade: Commercial Roofing
Rewards Points: 122

You should consider checking around the washing machine. A family friend had an issue with these bugs a few years back and after basically tearing down all the plumbing he finally realized they were in the washer hook-ups. They need heat to lay eggs and breed.
http://commercialroofinghoustontx.com/
Old 02-13-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,822

Same in my shower. Go to Amazon search Drain Flies. There are a couple liquid products that have good reviews....DX 500 or something.

Also get a drain brush for about $12. You have to disrupt where the nest. Use the brush to push everything down a bit.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #7

Trade: HVAC
Rewards Points: 124

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Fix Houses View Post
Same in my shower. Go to Amazon search Drain Flies. There are a couple liquid products that have good reviews....DX 500 or something.

Also get a drain brush for about $12. You have to disrupt where the nest. Use the brush to push everything down a bit.
This is your best bet and I am assuming you will see that after you google a bit on the flies. They don't harm anything but they can get out of control fast. You have to destroy the feeding source and destroys the nests. It can take weeks, sometimes months if the problem is big enough. Just stick with a plan till the pests are gone.
http://www.acmanhouston.com
Old 02-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #8
Business Owner

Trade: Pest & Termite Control
Rewards Points: 6

And to reiterate, make sure you are correct on the identification of the fly, i.e drain flies vs phorid flies, etc.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:22 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Carpentry
Rewards Points: 40

I had something similar. I think. I called them Buffalo knats. They were around my kitchen sink drain. Showed up first of the summer and stayed all summer. Searched the web and tried everything. I think I made a dent in them, but nothing really worked. At the beginning of fall, they disappeared.

Next summer they were back. Fought them hard again. Cleaned everything and always made sure food was cleaned up. Every cleaner I could think of, nothing really worked. End of summer they disappeared.

Never came back.

I did read about a trap for them. I made one out of tupperware with an onion for bait. I thought it worked really well. Caught more than I ever saw. Finally my wife made me stop. She decided I wasn't trapping them, I was breeding them.
I don't know about that, but I was sick of messing with that trap anyway.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:30 AM   #10

Trade: Plumber
Rewards Points: 30

You need to put some strong ass bleach where they've been coming from. Make sure nothing can survive.

Traps are a good shout, but it doesn't really stop the problem as they still may come back in the future. If you go on amazon or to a supermarket/hardware store they should sell something appropriate.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:27 AM   #11
New Guy

Trade: Denver Bath & Kitchen Remodel Group
Rewards Points: 30

Drain flies are known for being the big wings as compared to their body size. They are known for helping coming from a drain trap, also crack them into a sewer line under a slab.
Also, it should be known for trying helping one putting a clear cup smeared with something that is sticky over the suspect drains and also see if you are catching something.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:35 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,622

Call them sewer flies here.

This year I have been plagued by them. They are outside and get in when opening the door or a window.
You can pour stuff down your traps but if you go up on your roof you will see they are in the vent pipe or if you open a cleanout in your sewer line they will be in there too.

I am thinking I should have my septic tank pumped.

Advertisement