Caulk Around Toilet Code

Old 10-17-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,008

Caulk Around Toilet Code

My plumber told me on our last job that caulk around the toilet to floor was code now. He knows I hate to see that.

Is he right?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-17-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Caulk Around Toilet Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
My plumber told me on our last job that caulk around the toilet to floor was code now. He knows I hate to see that.

Is he right?
I think Rex lives in MI, he would know your state code. In Wisconsin it's NOT code but on commercial bathrooms many architects spec caulk for sanitary reasons.

Mike

The Following User Says Thank You to Oconomowoc For This Useful Post:
Paulie (10-17-2011)
Old 10-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Yeah, I should have made clear it's residential.

Thanks
Old 10-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
;-p

Trade: I do that too!
Rewards Points: 2,064

I think when done correctly caulk around the base looks clean. When it is tile it's nice to see grout caulk. IMO
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #5
Solvent breather

Trade: Painting and Flooring
Rewards Points: 1,072

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post

Is he right?
Was it a new flange or an old uneven flange sunk an inch under the subfloor? If it's the latter I call bs.

www.portlandhardwoodrefinishing.com
Old 10-18-2011, 12:24 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: Licensed Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro M & L View Post
Was it a new flange or an old uneven flange sunk an inch under the subfloor? If it's the latter I call bs.
If that was the case it would be the GC's fault, not the plumber's.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
manipulator of wood

Trade: general contractor

in new jersey its code. all plumbing fixtures have to be caulked to the wall or floor for sanitary reasons. that includes tub and shower valves, sinks, toilets.. etc..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I Mester For This Useful Post:
greg24k (10-18-2011), Metro M & L (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 04:44 AM   #8
Chief Reporter of Spam

Trade: Kitchen and Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,022

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISM37
in new jersey its code. all plumbing fixtures have to be caulked to the wall or floor for sanitary reasons. that includes tub and shower valves, sinks, toilets.. etc..
Since when has New Jersey become worried about sanitary plumbing methods... :
They outa worry about cleaning up that turnpike first
aptpupil (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 06:01 AM   #9
Grand Rapids Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrpntrFrk View Post
I think when done correctly caulk around the base looks clean. When it is tile it's nice to see grout caulk. IMO
I agree it looks good...... at first. But the first time you brush a dirty mop up against the caulk it looks bad.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:54 AM   #10
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,098

Code or no code, why would you leave un-calked it looks like s^*t without caulking.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #11
Thom

Trade: General Contractor/Homebuilder
Rewards Points: 2,104

It is required here in Albuquerque. The mechanical inspector checks every commode in the house for it. .

We can use caulk or grout.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: home improvement contractor
Rewards Points: 504

around here, inspectors like to see caulk on the front and sides, but not the back. The caulk on three sides help hold the toilet in place, and no caulk in the back helps in early detection of leaks
Old 10-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Apprentice- Framing, Carpentry
Rewards Points: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomdanis View Post
Un-caulked allows for early detection of leaks that could damage the subfloor and keep ebola viruses from this sH!t factory to escape.
I totally agree with you there, however I also agree with the above post that if the floor isn't perfect, it looks horrible without caulk as well. I've only ever seen caulk here in Cali, not up to date on if it's code or not, but I'd assume so. That being said, I've become a big fan of using a clear caulk around toilets as opposed to white since it fades better into the difference of the toilet color and the floor, as well as accepting dirt way better than white. Still trying to figure out what I can do when I fix up my molding installs which are sawdust and dirt magnets after being caulked to hide imperfections :P
Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy85

I totally agree with you there, however I also agree with the above post that if the floor isn't perfect, it looks horrible without caulk as well. I've only ever seen caulk here in Cali, not up to date on if it's code or not, but I'd assume so. That being said, I've become a big fan of using a clear caulk around toilets as opposed to white since it fades better into the difference of the toilet color and the floor, as well as accepting dirt way better than white. Still trying to figure out what I can do when I fix up my molding installs which are sawdust and dirt magnets after being caulked to hide imperfections :P
That's why you hire a pro to do the work on everything. Then there's no need to caulk around a toilet base because the floor is level.

If anyone is using caulk to help stabilize the toilet as was mentioned in a previous post, you've got bigger problems that caulk won't fix!

Caulk has its place, but definitely not around the base of a toilet. (Sorry, my opinion, and I realize its just my opinion, but I think doing that is just misinformed and borders on hack work.)
PrecisionFloors (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #15
manipulator of wood

Trade: general contractor

thats the way we do it here. caulk all around except for the back. leave that open in case of a leak it can be detected.. if left uncaulked it just plain looks like crap.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #16
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomdanis View Post
Un-caulked allows for early detection of leaks that could damage the subfloor and keep ebola viruses from this sH!t factory to escape.
That is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard... Not to mention it is adopted code requirement in some states.
First of all what if you have kids and they miss the toilet have the pi$$ get under there and stink? Give me a break.

Caulking helps a more secure connection between the toilet and the floor.
In addition in most cases the tile higher then the flange, or the tile stops right before the flange, not to mention there is always a gap and the water will always get under the tile, between the pipe and plywood and cause the damage caulked or not caulked... water will never make it to the floor surface this why this theory doesn't make any sense.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: construction
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24k View Post
That is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard... Not to mention it is adopted code requirement in some states.
First of all what if you have kids and they miss the toilet have the pi$$ get under there and stink? Give me a break.

Caulking helps a more secure connection between the toilet and the floor.
In addition in most cases the tile higher then the flange, or the tile stops right before the flange, not to mention there is always a gap and the water will always get under the tile, between the pipe and plywood and cause the damage caulked or not caulked... water will never make it to the floor surface this why this theory doesn't make any sense.
Many states do NOT require it. A caulked toilet in Wisconsin, on a residence, is very rare.

As far as helping to secure a toilet that's complete bulls$$$. A toilet is secured to a flange with bolts, if it can't be secured that way then something is very wrong.

If somebody pisses on the floor that's not a plumbing issue, it's a prostate issue.

Lastly, tile goes up to a flange. The toilet seals against a flange. The two share no commonality.

Mike
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oconomowoc For This Useful Post:
PrecisionFloors (10-18-2011), TNTSERVICES (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Apprentice- Framing, Carpentry
Rewards Points: 79

I may have been misinterpreted. I didn't mean in my post to use caulk to reinforce it. The toilet and it's nuts should take care of that alone. I'm just saying that even one slightly crooked tile to me, and being an architecture major, even though the floor could be near perfectly flat- if one tile is crooked or the rim of the bottom of the toilet (more often the case) isn't perfect, caulk helps to hide these slight imperfections. Leaving it open in back, for detection of leaks which shouldn't occur in the first place, however, I agree with.
The Following User Says Thank You to sy85 For This Useful Post:
greg24k (10-18-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #19
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oconomowoc View Post
Many states do NOT require it. A caulked toilet in Wisconsin, on a residence, is very rare.

As far as helping to secure a toilet that's complete bulls$$$. A toilet is secured to a flange with bolts, if it can't be secured that way then something is very wrong.

If somebody pisses on the floor that's not a plumbing issue, it's a prostate issue.

Lastly, tile goes up to a flange. The toilet seals against a flange. The two share no commonality.

Mike
Mike,

I know the toilet is secured by bolts, caulking makes a better connection and it gives a nice finished transition with the tiled floor. I know many states don't require, but some do, and most plumbing inspectors around here will request to caulk under it. I don't think or wish for any kid age 3-5 to have any prostate problem, but they do have a tendency to miss here and there, especially in the middle of the night.

With that said, tiles go under the flange, they go over the flange,they stop 2" before the flange... no matter where or how. in most cases the water will go under and not over and it will not spill onto the floor.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #20
Future Post Deleter...

Trade: Nothing
Rewards Points: 520

yea you gotta caulk here...i use clear latex on everything

a certain inspector years ago used to make me caulk toilets on wood floors which i hate doing, but its code

The Following User Says Thank You to rex For This Useful Post:
Paulie (10-18-2011)