325lb Cast Iron Tub To 2nd Floor?

Old 04-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #1

Trade: Carpenter/Remodeler

325lb Cast Iron Tub To 2nd Floor?

I'm remodeling a 2nd floor bath room. I encouraged the HO to go for a cast iron tub and they agreed. I have moved them before to the 2nd floor with an appliance hand cart. My concern is the stairs are only 36" wide and pretty much brand new oak. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or tricks for getting it upstairs without damaging the staircase. I looked into a power hand truck but none of the rental centers have them. Thanks.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Framing

Re: 325lb Cast Iron Tub To 2nd Floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLINY View Post
I'm remodeling a 2nd floor bath room. I encouraged the HO to go for a cast iron tub and they agreed. I have moved them before to the 2nd floor with an appliance hand cart. My concern is the stairs are only 36" wide and pretty much brand new oak. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or tricks for getting it upstairs without damaging the staircase. I looked into a power hand truck but none of the rental centers have them. Thanks.
Now go back and say you made a mistake, the cast iron ones are junk and you really want the fiberglass!

Old 04-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: carpenter

Did a bathroom last summer, the HO bought a vanity with 1" thick marble top. Must have weighed 300lbs. A realy tight stair case. No way was I moving that thing upstairs.

Solution - I hired a moving company. They came with 4 guys, had it up there in 10 minutes. They have all the right slings and such. And they are insured in case something gets damaged.
The Following User Says Thank You to katoman For This Useful Post:
protechplumbing (06-28-2010)
Old 04-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations

moving company sounds good, id even hire the lineman off the local high school or college football team
Old 04-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
The Grand Wazoo

Trade: It blowed up real good!

Get a wide nylon strap and carry it up the stairs on your back.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Painting
Send a message via AIM to boman47k

Seems 2 good men should be able to carry that if they can get a good hold on it where it is safe for them and the tub. But, considering the insurance, possible injury, Kato has a good idea as they have hump straps, ins, etc..

Unless you know someone that can and will strap to their back and go with it like Killer said. They are out there.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
Pro Framer Dude

Trade: framing/remodeling

We installed a clawfoot cast iron tub last year on a remodel that I GC'd. It can be moved upstairs, but you want to have four guys. Moving things up narrow stairs like that creates some weird angles to lift and carry. Take it slow and plan out each direction change. Also have some towels or cardboard handy to set it on at every opportunity.

WNC Viking
Old 04-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #8
Who me?

Trade: General Contractor

Did one last summer.

Bobcat from the truck to the door. 4 guys to carry from there. Oh, don't forget the cost of the pizza and beer for the 4 guys.

We have had other jobs where it is just better and faster to hire movers.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
Maker of fine kindling

Trade: cabinet maker
Send a message via Yahoo to Gus Dering

I have hoisted a tub to the third floor by way of a rope, pulley and my truck. Right into the window. Only two guys and no stairs to damage.

It was fun too.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer53 View Post
Now go back and say you made a mistake, the cast iron ones are junk and you really want the fiberglass!
As soon as I said cast iron I regretted it. I shouldn't speak without finishing my coffee first. An Americast tub would have made too much sense.

KillerToiletSpider Get a wide nylon strap and carry it up the stairs on your back.

I think I'm going to try and find one of those sherpa guys that carry stuff up Mt Everest. A cast iron tub would be nothing for those guys. 2nd floor vs. 11,000 ft.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #11
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete

I crew I work with frequently built a sled and a ramp, pulled it up and through the bathroom window.

They used an electric hoist, http://www.northerntool.com/products...s-pullzall.htm

www.gebcon.com
Old 04-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
New Quirky Carpenter

Trade: Trim Carpentry and Remodeling

Never brought one up, but have smashed plenty. Used to bust in half or half and bottom, now 4-5 pieces. Getting too old.

Had to pull out a claw-foot one time, just me and another guy (and I'm a 140 lbs). It was a narrow staircase and we gouged the post at the top of the stairs trying to make the turn, luckily it was an older/beat up house. It was a pain in the back, neck, and legs.

You can do it with a few big guys, but do you want to take the chance. ID talk to the customers and explain that you didn't want to take the chance of ruining their nice new floors. You overlooked the narrow staircase, and an acrylic tub will last them a good 25 years with proper maintenance.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjames View Post
easy !! rent a walking handtruck .. it's a handtruck with a motor on it. it has 3 sets of wheels .. it really walks up and down stairs . the MTA has them . they take MVM'S ( metro card vending machines to you ) down the subway that way . those MVM's weight 1100 lbs .
Thanks Pete, I called around to a couple of rental centers(Taylor PJS & Gold Star Centereach) in my area and nobody has them for rent. When I searched old posts some one recommended a walking handtruck. If it can handle one of the massive MetoCard machines a tub would be cake. If anyone knows of a good rental place that has them in Suffolk let me know.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
The Remodeler

Trade: Home Remodeler

The best I can find locally is just a 1200lb rated hand truck from all-in-one over in East Northport. (www.allinone.com)

I'd imagine using that and a helper would get the tub upstairs easily. I've done it with the cheapie handtrucks and a helper without incident.

Long Island Remodeling Contractor
Old 04-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler

For moving ANYTHING there is no better way than lifting straps.

http://www.teamstrap.com/

(not those forearm straps they show on TV)

The link is only an example of what I mean. I've got a less expensive set that doesn't have the quick connects and adjustments but 2 guys can pick up a full refrigerator and walk it anywhere-even up stairs and hardly break a sweat (with proper procedures).

I paid about 40 bucks for mine and I SWEAR by them.

The concept behind them is simple and absolutely amazing how easy they are to work with.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #16

Trade: Carpentry

Hey John,

Did you ever get this tub upstairs? I am in a similar situation getting a refrigerator upstairs.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 06-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #17
Pro

Trade: Masonry / Carpentry Construction and Restoration

Cardboard protection for treads, lay a 2x12 down flat up the center of the steps, cleat back to solid support, cover with spare carpet and slide that sucker right up there on edge