Drip Septic System - Excavation & Site Work Picture Post - Contractor Talk

Drip Septic System

Old 11-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,388

Drip Septic System

This is a septic system I recently installed. It is considered an "alternate" system because the soils are poor and will not pass for convential or sand mound septic systems. This is a home that was built in the 60's and the previous system failed. Basically because of poor draining soils and ground water.

This system is called a "micro mound drip system". It is a very complicated system, but pretty easy to install. I purchase the drip equipment through a distributor and they come out and coach you on how to install everything and they set up the unit.

This system contains a control unit that sets out timed doses to the bed. On this particular design, it is set up to send out a dose every 3 hrs and will discharge 30 gallons over 10 minutes. There are 2 zones in this system. It will alternate pumping each zone every 3 hrs. There is a float in the tank that will tell the control unit that there is an increase of flow into the pump tank and will switch over to pump every 1 hr 48 minutes. There is a shut off float that will turn off the system when it is not in use, example, homeowners are away on vacation.

There is a hydraulic unit that sits on the tank. There are filters inside this unit and it will pump each zone and there is a common return line that goes through the unit and back to the holding tank. Every 25 cycles, the unit will do a field flush and flush the drip tubing and everything will flow back to the septic tank.

There are 6 laterals in the bed. Each consiting of a pressure and return line. Inside the drip tubing are little drip emitters every 2' which allow the effluent to slowly drip onto the absorbtion area.

If you are curious about this system, please visit this site.
http://www.americanonsite.com/americ...criteinfo.html
Attached Thumbnails
Drip septic system-drip-sand.jpg   Drip septic system-drip-tubing.jpg   Drip septic system-delivery-lines.jpg   Drip septic system-manifolds.jpg   Drip septic system-septic-tanks.jpg  

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #2
Vagitarian

Re: Drip Septic System

Here is the pump inside the SDR35 with a brass check valve and shut off. There other pic is inside the control unit. The hydraulic unit that sits on the tank has a heater inside of it and a temperature probe. The control unit has a temperature monitor and if it drops below 33 degrees it will trigger the alarm.
Attached Thumbnails
Drip septic system-septic-pump.jpg   Drip septic system-control-unit.jpg   Drip septic system-finish-seeding.jpg  

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rino1494 For This Useful Post:
Rio (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 32

look like it could be a pain in the butt to keep up and running. but if it does what it is to do it is a good solution.
The Following User Says Thank You to pappagor For This Useful Post:
Rio (11-01-2015)

Old 11-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
Vagitarian

Here is a picture of the hydraulic unit that sits on the tank. The pressure line from the pump feeds the unit then the (2) seperate zones feed out and the common return line comes back to the unit, then to the first compartment in the septic tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Drip septic system-hydraulic-unit.jpg  

Old 11-01-2015, 06:45 PM   #5
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 9,034

That's a lot of gadgetry for poop
Old 11-01-2015, 06:53 PM   #6
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 2,421

Good lord. When I was a kid, we used a privy and all we had to worry about was spiders.

Or falling in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
SmallTownGuy (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 07:31 PM   #7
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 2,804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Good lord. When I was a kid, we used a privy and all we had to worry about was spiders.

Or falling in.
or no dry corn cobs....
Tinstaafl (11-01-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 07:47 PM   #8
John the Builder

Trade: Carpenter/Builder
Rewards Points: 798

Quote:

Or falling in.
Or somebody stealing the Sears Catalog.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallTownGuy For This Useful Post:
Golden view (11-02-2015)
Old 11-01-2015, 10:20 PM   #9
Designer/Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,334

If the alternative is an uninhabitable house it becomes a lot more attractive. We just lost a small granny flat due to not enough leach lines and as it turned out that house has no reserve at all but I'm sure there's no way these people could afford what that looks like it cost.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:11 PM   #10
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,246

That's quite a system. Nice work as usual.

www.gebcon.com
Old 11-02-2015, 05:13 PM   #11
Vagitarian

W
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post
If the alternative is an uninhabitable house it becomes a lot more attractive. We just lost a small granny flat due to not enough leach lines and as it turned out that house has no reserve at all but I'm sure there's no way these people could afford what that looks like it cost.
Exactly !!

These people purchased this house several years ago for $80,000 as a foreclosure. They have had problems the last couple years. They pumped the tank many times, had the tank scrubbed, leach lines jetted and even paid a guy $2,500 to dig up the distribution box and dump some kind of liquid into it that he said would fix their problem. They were desperate and that guy is no longer in business.

Finally after deciding to take the leap, they decided they needed a new septic system. After asking around everyone they talked to told them to call me. I set up a meeting with the SEO to dig test pits. In order to install a typical elevated sand mound you need a minimum of 20" of suitable soil. This soil was poor with a lot of mottling. They only had 10" of suitable soil. By law if you are under 20" you need to acquire a "soil scientist".

This guy was $2,400 and I had to dig more test pits. He came up with this drip system which I installed for $28,000, including importing topsoil and completing yard restoration. Their existing well was too close and they had to drill a new well on the other side of the property to get the required minimum distance of 100'. They have brown water and the well driller wants to install a $3,400 filtration system. They told me that they have over $40,000 invested into it.

Last edited by rino1494; 11-02-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #12
Capra aegagrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rino1494 View Post
They told me that they have over $40,000 invested into it.
Thanks for the warm fuzzies. I have a similar situation and I'm soon going to have to bite the bullet.

At least I don't have to worry about the well. It's at a safe distance and already has a water treatment setup.

Is there no practical way to accomplish something similar with a more passive setup? Pumps and valves guarantee there will be maintenance issues down the road.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:45 PM   #13
Box Builder

Trade: Pretty much anything with wood and some metals
Rewards Points: 9,034

$40k into the septic and well combined? And they still have brown water from the new well that has to be dealt with? Frigg.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:05 PM   #14
Vagitarian

Quote:
Thanks for the warm fuzzies. I have a similar situation and I'm soon going to have to bite the bullet.

At least I don't have to worry about the well. It's at a safe distance and already has a water treatment setup.

Is there no practical way to accomplish something similar with a more passive setup? Pumps and valves guarantee there will be maintenance issues down the road.
I would discuss it with you local SEO. The type of system really depends on the type of soil you have. Once your limiting zone goes below 20" then you need to hire the soil scientists. An average elevated sand mound will run you $10,000-$12,000. I have a septic system that is about 5 miles away from this one and the limiting zone is 54" which means they do not need any sand. Just 12" of gravel on top of the ground with their pressure lines in the gravel and a 12" dirt cap. That system is $8,000.

I recently did another system that had poor soils and high ground water. The soil scientists designed an Elgen GSF system. Here is a link to the pics of the install I did.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f88/el...system-119942/

Visit this site, these are soil scientist that I have delt with in the past and are distributors for the drip system I installed.

http://soilservicescompany.com/

Here is another website for the company I used for the Elgen system. They are soil scientist and are distributors for the materials for the Elgen. Actually, they have a pic up on their website of one of my jobs. They are located in Newburg, PA, just north of Shippensburg.

http://www.expertseptic.com/

Where are you located at in central PA ?? My wife has family in the Clearfield/Curwensiville area. We frequent there about 4-5 times a year.

Last edited by rino1494; 11-02-2015 at 06:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rino1494 For This Useful Post:
Tinstaafl (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #15
Capra aegagrus

Thanks; I've actually looked at the expertseptic site before. Good to have a positive recommendation for those guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rino1494 View Post
Where are you located at in central PA ?? My wife has family in the Clearfield/Curwensiville area. We frequent there about 4-5 times a year.
You probably don't pass too far from me. I'm just across the river from Harrisburg, on the mountain above I-81. I'd be happy to buy you a cup of coffee sometime you're passing through.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
rino1494 (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #16
Vagitarian

Quote:
Thanks; I've actually looked at the expertseptic site before. Good to have a positive recommendation for those guys.

You probably don't pass too far from me. I'm just across the river from Harrisburg, on the mountain above I-81. I'd be happy to buy you a cup of coffee sometime you're passing through.
I am about 1 1/2 hr north of you in the Wilkes-Barre area. About 15 min off of 81.

Old 11-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #17
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 4,574

In Alaska I installed an on site sewage treatment system. It was DEC approved to expel the water right onto the ground. Very compact. Similar cost though.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #18
Stud

Trade: Excavation
Rewards Points: 660

Nice looking job. Seems more complicated than the pressure dosing systems i've seen designed around here. Still haven't done one yet.

The ones I've seen you have to manually drill holes in sch 40 pipe alternating sides at certain spacing. As soon as its installed you have to test run it to see that liquid is evenly distributed through leach bed. Designer just told me about a guy who didn't drill holes properly so beginning of leach bed was saturated and end of bed wasn't getting liquid so he had to rip it all out and do it again.

Advertisement