Detention Basin - Excavation & Site Work Picture Post - Contractor Talk

Detention Basin

Old 02-09-2015, 03:48 PM   #1
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,388

Detention Basin

I'm Back !!!! I have been really busy this past year and haven't had time to troll the forums. My dad and I all by ourselves did a 28 lot housing development. 3 acres or clearing and grubbing, 1,500 lf of roads with 2 cul-de-sacs, 3,000 lf of sanitary, 1,000 lf of 15" storm, 3,500 lf of gas and electric trenching and sand padding, detention basin, erosion control and 2A modified roads. I still have 2,600 lf of grass lined swales and paving to do in the spring.

Here are some pics of the detention basin.

Rip Rap apron was gabion baskets. Huge PITA !!!
Attached Images

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH

Last edited by rino1494; 02-09-2015 at 04:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rino1494 For This Useful Post:
hdavis (02-09-2015)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Vagitarian

Re: Detention Basin

Here are more....

This is a rock we found in the bottom of the pond. I was able to rip it into some pieces. The big piece I had to dig a hole in the bottom of the pond and bury it. It was too big to get out. That is my dad standing on the rock.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
Vagitarian

In case anyone is wondering what that pvc thing is attached to the outlet structure, here you go.

http://www.fairclothskimmer.com/

It is temporary and gets ripped out post construction. Oh yeah, it also cost $1,000.

Old 02-09-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 2,136

can't imagine having to contend with rock like that daily. your projects are pretty lofty..i'm really impressed you and your dad did them all alone. that'd be tough
The Following User Says Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
rino1494 (02-10-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 2,136

as usual though Jason...very nice looking work.
The Following User Says Thank You to dayexco For This Useful Post:
rino1494 (02-10-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #6
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,246

That's one heck of a rock.

Good to hear that you have plenty of work.

It all looks great as usual.

www.gebcon.com
The Following User Says Thank You to tgeb For This Useful Post:
rino1494 (02-10-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 09:18 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Excavation & Asphalt Paving
Rewards Points: 286

Good looking work! Nice to see you back. That sucks you had to buy the skimmer, I've seen something like them on one or two ponds but we were able to fab them ourselves. Didn't have the metal piece on them though. The specialty devises and structures in these ponds and storm water facilities are crazy expensive, we install a bunch of aqua swirl structures in our pond conversions start at 7-8k up to the 20's just nuts for one plastic or cmp structure. Got two coming weds day for our next pond.

That is a bunch or work for two guys, impressive. I'm not even close to a pipe guy but seems like a pita for only two men? I hear you on the gabion baskets what a huge pita. We've done a bunch also, hands and forearms bark at the end of the day from all the f'n tie wire.

Have you always run the swinger on the hoe? We put helacs on all ours, nice option for grading. How do you guys mass grade with only 2, lot of machine switching?

Last edited by Moxley-Kidwell; 02-09-2015 at 09:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moxley-Kidwell For This Useful Post:
rino1494 (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #8
Vagitarian

The skimmer has a patent on it. A fellow contractor fabbed one up and the inspector wouldn't pass it. The conservation districts are putting us out of work. All my developing customers are done because it is getting too expensive for the erosion control measures and harsh township regulations in this economy. This developer here has 3 others properties that are proposed for developments and he has them all up for sale. That baffle in the pond is temporary. 3/4" pressure treated plywood on pressure treated 4X4 posts. Got $1,000 in material on that. The emergency spillway is lined with pyramat which is $1,000/roll.

We did have a guy help us out once in a while. He is an older guy in his mid 60's that sells firewood. He helped us clear and did some mudding on the inlets and helped us build the baffle in the pond. The sanitary my dad was the pipelayer. 8' deep using a box and a 200 hoe we did it all in 4 weeks. This included be digging, dragging the box, handing the pipe down, getting the wheel loader and getting a bucket of stone in the side dumper for the hoe and bedding the pipe. Only had 1 leak because a pipe rolled out of the wye when I drug the box. We found it right away and fixed it quick. We have a Terex 27 ADT and alot of times we have to load ourselves and dump it and while the other guy spreads the dirt and rolls it. Digging the utility trenches I had to sandpad them and get out and rake the sand off and keep going. A lot of times I am jumping in out of the machine checking grades. We are slower than most but at the end of day we do get alot done and more profitable.

We did buy a Topcon dual slope laser and a AGL target that mounts on a mast on the dozer for grading. It is a huge help and alot faster. Just plug in the grade % on the laser and grade away. Works great for flat building pads too. The target has magnets that you can mount on the stick of the hoe, but haven't tried it yet.

Last edited by rino1494; 02-10-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:02 PM   #9
Vagitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxley-Kidwell View Post

Have you always run the swinger on the hoe? We put helacs on all ours, nice option for grading. ?

We have 2 of them, this was the first time ever using it and I tell you what, I am head over heals with it. They are worth every damn penny. I need to do grass lined swales in the spring and this is the ticket.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:05 PM   #10
Pro

Damn, that is bustin a$$ for your money man my hat is off to you guys. Nice that your customer is willing to give you guys a little extra time. Around here these guys want everything yesterday. Looks like a bunch of work is going to cut loose around here as soon as spring hits, got 10 or so pond quotes, few roadwork projects and a grading/paving package all in line for bids. Hope it keeps up.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rino1494 View Post
We have 2 of them, this was the first time ever using it and I tell you what, I am head over heals with it. They are worth every damn penny. I need to do grass lined swales in the spring and this is the ticket.
We sold our old 200 but took the helac off to add it to a newer one when we find it. We bought a yanmar mini from one of the Wolfe auctions a while ago already set up with one. We've done a few miles of grass Swales with that thing. You get used to them real quick.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:18 PM   #12
Stud

Trade: Excavation
Rewards Points: 660

Easy to see why you didn't have anytime to post. Project looks good. How old are you and your old man. I would have no desire to do a project like that with only 2 people anymore.

Can't say I can blame you though. Besides me and my brother in law we only have 1 full time guy. Operator who's 71 years old. We also have a few part time retired guys as needed. Hard to find anyone who worth a dam nowadays. Anyone who is can get a Union job easy around here.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:22 PM   #13
Vagitarian

Quote:
We sold our old 200 but took the helac off to add it to a newer one when we find it. We bought a yanmar mini from one of the Wolfe auctions a while ago already set up with one. We've done a few miles of grass Swales with that thing. You get used to them real quick.
Man, I haven't been to a Wolfe auction in a long time. Too busy working. You probably do not want to hear this, but we bought both our Helac's at Ritchie Bros. One is for a Daewoo 130 which is the one I am using our that Kobelco 115 and the other fits a Case 160. Neither one was pinned on a machine as the paint was still on the inside of the collars. Picked 1 up for $800 and the other for $1,000.

Old 02-10-2015, 06:26 PM   #14
Vagitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck View Post
Easy to see why you didn't have anytime to post. Project looks good. How old are you and your old man. I would have no desire to do a project like that with only 2 people anymore.

Can't say I can blame you though. Besides me and my brother in law we only have 1 full time guy. Operator who's 71 years old. We also have a few part time retired guys as needed. Hard to find anyone who worth a dam nowadays. Anyone who is can get a Union job easy around here.
I am 33 and my dad will be 63 in a couple weeks. I hear ya on finding good people. Seems to be alot of people with drinking or domestic problems. If you do find good guys, they want top dollar and rate work. I know a couple foundation guys that do poured walls and they cannot find anybody who is willing to work. Kids today are lazy.

The contractor who installed the water mains in the development had a wheel loader operator that was 81. He used to have his own business and just needs something to do.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 589

Man, that looks like a lot of work! In my neighborhood, the city required a huge detention pond for a large development. I don't know why but they built a really nice "track" around it that's almost exactly a quarter mile long. It's crushed rock and the city maintains it. This place is perfect for walking dogs or just getting exercise. I swear it gets more use than most of our local parks! It's nice when a big (expensive) project like this can have a second use too!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #16
Stud

Trade: Excavation
Rewards Points: 660

Quote:
I am 33 and my dad will be 63 in a couple weeks. I hear ya on finding good people. Seems to be alot of people with drinking or domestic problems. If you do find good guys, they want top dollar and rate work. I know a couple foundation guys that do poured walls and they cannot find anybody who is willing to work. Kids today are lazy.

The contractor who installed the water mains in the development had a wheel loader operator that was 81. He used to have his own business and just needs something to do.
I'm about to turn 44 and and my old man is 73. Last week I had to turn on water at condo that never got turned on. Took me 2.5 hours to break thru frost and did up water shut-off by hand. Old man was there the whole time and I think part of him was actually enjoying the fact we had to do it by hand. Can't get better father-son bonding than that.

As far as that skimmer. What a waste. Hopefully it's re-usable. If not it's even a bigger waste.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:40 PM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Man, I haven't been to a Wolfe auction in a long time. Too busy working. You probably do not want to hear this, but we bought both our Helac's at Ritchie Bros. One is for a Daewoo 130 which is the one I am using our that Kobelco 115 and the other fits a Case 160. Neither one was pinned on a machine as the paint was still on the inside of the collars. Picked 1 up for $800 and the other for $1,000.
Wow, I think it cost us 15-20k to set up our 200 with all the piping/hose, switches, solenoids etc brand new. You got two awesome deals, still cost a bit more for parts but at a fraction of the cost of new. They pay for themselves though, worth the money. Machines are like a gradall that you don't have to work on every week with them.

My partner/father in law and I have a pretty flexible schedule as we do have employees that do most of the field work so we can get to the sales. Sometimes I would like to work more in the field, but just not enough time do to the business/office/bidding side of things and be in the field much, that's his job.

I really need to pay more attention to the small stuff at the auctions though looks like I'm missing some good stuff.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #18
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter/General Contractor(again)
Rewards Points: 1,232

Ha! Back in my day we had to all of that hand.

Didn't have no fancy back-hos or nothing.

Andy.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:50 AM   #19
Vagitarian

Quote:
Wow, I think it cost us 15-20k to set up our 200 with all the piping/hose, switches, solenoids etc brand new. You got two awesome deals, still cost a bit more for parts but at a fraction of the cost of new. They pay for themselves though, worth the money. Machines are like a gradall that you don't have to work on every week with them.

My partner/father in law and I have a pretty flexible schedule as we do have employees that do most of the field work so we can get to the sales. Sometimes I would like to work more in the field, but just not enough time do to the business/office/bidding side of things and be in the field much, that's his job.

I really need to pay more attention to the small stuff at the auctions though looks like I'm missing some good stuff.
Looks like I am giving up all my secrets .... Lol. Our Kobelco already had 2-way hydraulics and a foot pedal so all we needed was a couple hoses and fittings. Our Cat 315 doesn't have 2-way and they want $7k to run everything.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:49 PM   #20
operator

Trade: excavating, concrete, landscaping
Rewards Points: 518

That's a lot of work for two guys but you've done a hell of a nice job. Those Helacs are worth every penny. They say not to abuse them but we have one on a Kubota kx161 that has been beat to hell and back again and it still works flawlessly. The only downside I've found is if you have to switch buckets a lot it's a but of a pain

Advertisement