Billboard Excavation - Excavation & Site Work Picture Post - Contractor Talk

Billboard Excavation

Old 01-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Vagitarian

Trade: site and utility contractor
Rewards Points: 2,388

Billboard Excavation

This is a billboard that I did the excavation for last spring. It was tough because of the tight working area. The pine trees in the pics below were not on our property and the landscaping ties that you see next to my tracks is the property line. The neighbor recently had the parking lot paved, so we couldn't drive on it. Had to swing up over the pine trees, barely missing a light pole to load the truck.

The hole was 16' deep and was 3' away from an existing building. I excavated 3/4 of the ditch and when concrete was nearby, I opened the rest up near the building, hopped the hoe on the trailer to let the concrete trucks in. Took 55 yds of concrete.

BTW, I recommened sheet piling, but the billboard contractor said that we are gonna open it up and see what happens. I said, no prob, it isn't my insurance.
Attached Thumbnails
Billboard excavation-tight-swing.jpg   Billboard excavation-digging-billboard.jpg   Billboard excavation-prepping-base.jpg   Billboard excavation-setting-base.jpg  

Uncle Sam wants YOU....to speak ENGLISH

Last edited by rino1494; 01-27-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: General Contractor - ret.
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Billboard Excavation

I just watched a program (Dirty Jobs ) of a billboard like that being installed. They just used a big auger to drill the hole. Pretty interesting how it all goes together.

Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
"Pro"

Trade: Construction Engineering Student

That's cool, I never really thought about Billboard construction before.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
Vagitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
I just watched a program (Dirty Jobs ) of a billboard like that being installed. They just used a big auger to drill the hole. Pretty interesting how it all goes together.
Some ppl use an auger, but you gotta go alot deeper. and it costs more. It only takes about 2 hrs for me to dig it and haul the material out, but we charge for a full day for the hoe and truck. It is also nice to have the hoe there because when the concrete is flowing in, it tends to move the base. The contractor slaps on a magnetic level and I wiggle the base around with the hoe to make sure she is straight.

Last edited by rino1494; 01-27-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: General Contractor - ret.

Don't worry, I wasn't criticizing your methods. As always, there's usually more than one way to do things.

Directly related to your post, I'm always amazed where you guys can manage to get and operate your machines. I realize that is the mark of a pro, and I used to do the same thing with trailers of all kinds and farm equipment. That doesn't make it any less amazing. I've wow'd a few folks myself with my trailer skills.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #6
Vagitarian

The billboard guy wanted to put up a digital one, but a competitor had one nearby and he couldn't compete with his prices. Plus the billboard was and extra $30,000 and we would have had to go 20' deep.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: entrepreneur of excavating expertise
Rewards Points: 86

nice job jason. couple of years ago, we had to remove one of those sign foundations for a new walgreens....spent half a day with a hammer busting the footing up. they hired a crane to tie off the top part, torched it off within a foot of the ground, we hammered out the rest. yup, a LOT of concrete in them things.

on edit jason...YOU, of ALL people...missed this thread i posted? SHAME on you!!!

http://www.contractortalk.com/f40/lo...4/#post1106242

Last edited by dayexco; 01-27-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:50 PM   #8
Contractor

Trade: Excavation, Foundation, Concrete
Rewards Points: 1,490

Nice work Rino.

Those type jobs are where the zero clearance excavators come in handy.

www.gebcon.com
Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #9

Trade: Excavating
Rewards Points: 25

Looks good! Those are the jobs that the customers relize why they dont price shop and use somone they have confidence in
Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI55j View Post
Looks good! Those are the jobs that the customers relize why they dont price shop and use somone they have confidence in
all customers price shop...you do when you buy equipment/parts.....just hope that the "value" you provide merits more credit than what they've been using?
Old 01-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: underground
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rino1494 View Post
...The hole was 16' deep and was 3' away from an existing building...I recommened sheet piling, but the billboard contractor said that we are gonna open it up and see what happens. I said, no prob, it isn't my insurance.
If you, or your guy, is pulling the levers when all heck cuts loose you can believe it'll be a prob; either directly or indirectly. You're right about one thing though - it won't be your insurance paying the claim because your policy probably doesn't cover gross neglicience like "I told him it needed to be sheeted"......but I dug the hole anyway.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:35 PM   #12
Pro

rick, good point...jason, rick? is it up to us now to have our attorney's author us a "hold harmless" attachment to our contracts? sad life has gotten to this point.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:41 AM   #13
Vagitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PipeGuy View Post
If you, or your guy, is pulling the levers when all heck cuts loose you can believe it'll be a prob; either directly or indirectly. You're right about one thing though - it won't be your insurance paying the claim because your policy probably doesn't cover gross neglicience like "I told him it needed to be sheeted"......but I dug the hole anyway.
I was waiting for you to post something. What took you so long ??

This wasn't a bid/contract job. It was his job and he just paid us by the hour. I told him before we started that if anything happens, we're not responsible.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:37 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: underground
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayexco View Post
....is it up to us now to have our attorney's author us a "hold harmless" attachment to our contracts? sad life has gotten to this point.
I'm pretty sure the law won't uphold an agreement the intent of which is to assign to party A the consequences of party B's neglicience. Particularly when party B is engaged to provide some "expert" manner of service.

Now days there's a tremendous amount of time and money (capital) dedicated to (wasted on?) accomplishing a very, very, small portion of the overall intended outcome. There goes a lot of the "fun" that was once part of this business. It's also the death nell for capitalism.

All that being said, I totally understand RINO's position in doing a job like that and appreciate that all went well and both he and his client got what they wanted.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #15
operator

Trade: excavating, concrete, landscaping
Rewards Points: 518

@ Tgeb

the only problem with a zero swing machine is they dont have very good counter weights. if you are digging foundations or land clearing all day thats one thing but trying to set a manhole or a large vault of any kind is a royal pain. it would have been nice though in this instance!!

nice job Rino. thats the kind of close quarters that separate the men from the boys. by the way, nice 315. looks pretty new or its maintained well, either way its a nice piece.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
Vagitarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteo View Post
@ Tgeb

the only problem with a zero swing machine is they dont have very good counter weights. if you are digging foundations or land clearing all day thats one thing but trying to set a manhole or a large vault of any kind is a royal pain. it would have been nice though in this instance!!

nice job Rino. thats the kind of close quarters that separate the men from the boys. by the way, nice 315. looks pretty new or its maintained well, either way its a nice piece.
I agree about the zero swings. Plus, I sat in one and there wasn't much leg room for me. If we had to dig deeper, we would have rented a 321LCR.

Yes, the 315 is well maintained. We bought it new. It is an 2001 with 6,400 hrs. We take very good care of it. Only my dad or myself operates it, mainly me. It has been a very good unit with no major problems and it still runs like the day we bought it.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rino1494 For This Useful Post:
peteo (02-15-2011)