Welding Truck Headers To Exhaust Pipe..

Old 11-07-2017, 08:42 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Workaholic
Rewards Points: 1,324

Welding Truck Headers To Exhaust Pipe..

I installed a new catalytic converter with a pipe going to the headers on my truck. The connection to the header pipe wasn't the best so I got a coupling about 4 inches long and used high temp epoxy as well. Over time it failed and now I got leak (on the top)
I don't want to spend any more money on a band-aid and have decided to get a welder most likely tig.

But how do I weld the top of the pipe? it's a really tight spot
I guess if I got an ark stick welder I could bend the sticks a little to get up there .

any help would be appreciated thanks.

Haven't welded since high school. the last thing built and welded was my highschool's BBQ 15 years ago.

damn time flys

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry
Rewards Points: 4,556

Re: Welding Truck Headers To Exhaust Pipe..

Most exhaust guys use mig and have a small gun with a big curve on it to weld exhaust. Usually they just blob wire on the top where you canít see it when working on exhaust attached to a vehicle on a lift

Usually tig is fitted/tacked on the car and taken off and fully welded on the bench when access is tough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2017, 10:56 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Home Beautification
Rewards Points: 5,172

Epoxy does not belong anywhere near an 800+ degree source. You probably also need a flex pipe.

Clarify the word header. Do you mean exhaust manifold? Or something like a Hooker header with a flange on it?

Either way I would weld flanges onto everything, and make it so it comes apart easily with gaskets in between.

Many of the consumer none water cooled TIG welders will also stick weld. My older Lincoln TIG does both. Still a MIG welder is the easiest to learn on, and can do a lot of work, but it will need shielding gas to be worth anything. Plan to spend $800+ for a decent welder.

In reality the simplest solution is to take it to a muffler shop and they will fix you up in less than an hour.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:57 PM   #4
Pro

Yeah guess all I can do is try. removing the headers is a huge pain.

I can't remember how far the wire can go out of the tig gun before it doesn't weld.. If I can get the wire out a bit could help get in there.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:31 PM   #5

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
...Clarify the word header. Do you mean exhaust manifold? Or something like a Hooker header with a flange on it?

Either way I would weld flanges onto everything, and make it so it comes apart easily with gaskets in between....
Back on my old '79 I had the Hooker Alumicoat lifetime headers. Yeah right?! That story for another time.

Rusted out from the inside, flange broke off. Barely anything left to weld to. Ended up welding the pipe to the header. Wasn't sorry. Lasted long enough until I could find cheap(free) stock exhaust manifolds.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:07 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castle View Post
Back on my old '79 I had the Hooker Alumicoat lifetime headers. Yeah right?! That story for another time.

Rusted out from the inside, flange broke off. Barely anything left to weld to. Ended up welding the pipe to the header. Wasn't sorry. Lasted long enough until I could find cheap(free) stock exhaust manifolds.
Stock manifolds are good for more moderate HP producing motors as you can match port them, but the best part is the cast iron manifolds don't blow gaskets very 10K miles.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Rewards Points: 1,368

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarboarder View Post
Yeah guess all I can do is try. removing the headers is a huge pain.

I can't remember how far the wire can go out of the tig gun before it doesn't weld.. If I can get the wire out a bit could help get in there.
Sorry, but there is no wire on a tig "torch." A tungsten is used and filler wire added during the welding. I doubt you will ever see a tig process done by a exhaust shop, unless it's for a show car, and stainless at that.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyjames View Post
Sorry, but there is no wire on a tig "torch." A tungsten is used and filler wire added during the welding. I doubt you will ever see a tig process done by a exhaust shop, unless it's for a show car, and stainless at that.
****, I meant to say Mig with the Wire.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
Pro

The welder I'm looking at getting...

https://www.kmstools.com/magnum-130a-mig-welder-133934

anyone ever buy one of these cheap welders?

Not sure where I'm going to get 20amps.. sold my generator last year cause never used it....

Last edited by cedarboarder; 11-09-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #10
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarboarder View Post
The welder I'm looking at getting...

https://www.kmstools.com/magnum-130a-mig-welder-133934

anyone ever buy one of these cheap welders?

Not sure where I'm going to get 20amps.. sold my generator last year cause never used it....
It is right on par with Harbor Freight

A decent MIG welder will be 220volts and require a 50 amp breaker. My TIG requires a 100 amp breaker Although it will weld 1/4" aluminum.

Have you asked a local muffler shop what they would charge you yet?
Old 11-10-2017, 10:12 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
It is right on par with Harbor Freight

A decent MIG welder will be 220volts and require a 50 amp breaker. My TIG requires a 100 amp breaker Although it will weld 1/4" aluminum.

Have you asked a local muffler shop what they would charge you yet?
Pretty sure that's my next stop.
Sometimes I go to fix stuff like this and wonder what I'm doing, just pay someone to fix it for me in half hour.

Maybe if I come up with bigger project I can justifie the welder

Advertisement