Need A 2 Hr Fire Rated Wall Design

Old 02-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #1

Trade: General contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Need A 2 Hr Fire Rated Wall Design

Hi I have and existing 2 hour fire rated wall built out of 3 5/8" metal stud with 2 layers of 5/8" drywall on each side. I cut in an opeing 8' x 10' for access so my cleint can put a large boiler in. I wanted to close the opening back up by headering it off and using metal stud and then a non comp plywood on both side so that they could later unscrew it and have access again if needed.

Does anyone know of a UL listed design I could use to prove the 2 hour rating on the plywood knock out?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:22 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 4,088

Re: Need A 2 Hr Fire Rated Wall Design

I think it would be best to put the wall back as It was.
Take a few pictures and Tape both sides.

We had a job in the local mall last year, Prints were approved, job completed just as the print showed.

The inspector for the fire department flaged us for firecode 3/4 plywood in the ceiling - MUST be covered!
3 days before the opening. We had to cover it with sheetrock and tape. I think I got stabed 50 times with with the ceiling wire. That sucked

Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Commercial Contractor

Trade: Commercial General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to Mud Master

A fire rated assembly must be completly sealed off. I don't know of any UL that would allow you to just fire caulk the perimeters either. Not to mention it looking like sh*t.

3 Options:

1. Re-stud opening, 2 layers of Type "X" GWB, fire tape (or block/skim/prime/paint as well if area dictates)
2. Re-stud opening, 2 layers of Type "X" GWB, install fire-rated access panel. Though I don't they make one big enough to accomplish what you want.
3. Frame a RO, install fire rated door/frame/hardware
The Following User Says Thank You to Mud Master For This Useful Post:
Deadhead Derek (02-26-2009)
Old 02-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #4

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 25

If you want access to it why not just put in a fire rated door?