Loading Docks

Old 10-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #1

Trade: Steel construction and Inspections
Rewards Points: 10

Loading Docks

Having an issue with concrete thickness for a loading dock, dock will be 35' by 15' on W18's (cause I have a lot of them) B deck on three beams on 7'6" center on 15 posts. The primary use will be a 6k forklift lifting 2k pallets. My gut says 6 inches but the owner wants 8 to 10 which is a waste of concrete and makes it heavier than it needs to be on soil I do not trust.

I know this is vague and there are many factors but I am looking for the average.....

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond their range.
Rewards Points: 2,248

Re: Loading Docks

And the soil numbers crunched out to say what? A hunch isn't a lot to stand on, one way or the other.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Head Grunt

Trade: Electrical Contractor&Home Maintenance
Rewards Points: 2,124

Re: Loading Docks

Well, i dont know if this will help you or not but i have some experience in loading trucks. The mine i worked at used lift trucks capable of picking 3ton so they weighed at least 7-8k lbs at minimum. Now when we were in a hurry it wasnt uncommon for me to be loading the truck and another lift truck bringing in 4 pallets "way overloaded" with 2k a peice on them. So you figure the weight of 2 lift trucks and anywhere from 6-8ton of pallets sitting next to the dock really adds up. This is in a 20'X20' area so i think you would want the extra support.

The warehouse i worked in was rather large and held at least 1000-1200 pallets, the pallets weighed anywhere from 2k-4k so there was millions of pounds on these floors. The floors were rippled from the lift truck traffic through the years of use/abuse.