Labor Rates For Metal Framing

Old 10-30-2007, 12:46 AM   #1

Trade: General Contractor and also commercial Drywall and Painting
Rewards Points: 75

Labor Rates For Metal Framing

We are framing load bearing metal stud walls, mainly 16 and 14 gauge CSJ studs. There are some sections that call for diagonal cross bracing (6" inch 16 gauge). I was wondering what the labor rate would be for the cross bracing? It has to be welded to the steel on top and bolted to the concrete slab on the bottom.

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-30-2007, 01:11 AM   #2
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 3,114

Re: Labor Rates For Metal Framing

What kind of project?

In residential we are running $ 42.00 sq.ft. material and labor which includes metal floor joists, walls and roof trusses. This may be high for your area, I am in California.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:12 PM   #3

Trade: General Contractor and also commercial Drywall and Painting
Rewards Points: 75

a mixed use apartment building.

I just want to make sure the our framers are not going to overcharge us to do the X bracing since it does require some welding, and shimming so that it does not show when the drywall is installed.
I believe the rates are roughly $10 per linear foot for a 16 gauge wall around here.
I just need the to know the separate costs for the X bracing.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 3,114

X braces are standard here, included in the framing package price, same as we sometimes require sheetmetal as opposed to an X brace, another one we have run in to is SureBoard 200 from Cemco.

I have never seen the X Brace welded on LGS, we always wait until the roof is on and shingled before installing since the compression of the building will loosen it.

Hopefully they spec'd 5/8 board on the walls, 1/2" shows everything, even modified truss head screws still cause a bump in the wall, 5/8" floats and hides it a bit better.

We just finished a 3 story retirement home, our X braces were 4x4 tube steel, walls were 5 1/2" LGS and we furred the X brace out to run the wall smooth.

Are you sticking this building or using panels?