How To Build A Firewall

Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #1

Trade: commercial
Rewards Points: 10

How To Build A Firewall

hey guys
my boss is testing me (as usual said of course i can do it).
we need to build a fire wall 26' high & 46' long in a commercial building.
we have concrete floors and steel purlins to attach to .
what gauge studs do i need ect...
5/8 drywall?
fire retardent joints?
please help
i also own a pub i florida and your help will get you a free night out on me.

Last edited by limey; 09-23-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: High Rise Caulk and Insulation
Rewards Points: 250

Re: How To Build A Firewall

Here you go bro.

You can find the different assemblies here at UL. Just follow the instructions.

http://www.ul.com/regulators/codelink/

Old 09-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #3

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 25

Basically building a hourly fire rated wall simply comes down to a correct thickness of drywall or other building material, then fire caulking the heck out of it.

Any penetrations through the wall must be fire caulked, seems in the drywall can not break at the same place (as if any good hanger would do that anyway), and any air duct penetrations must have a fire damper at the penetration through the wall. You must also run the wall completely to the deck, not just to a purlin or bar-joist.

Any wood blocking must be fire-retardant and any insulation in the wall must have a UL rating equal to or exceeding the rating of the wall.

You are also required (at least here) to paint in clear, red lettering the rating of the wall above the ceiling if you have a lay in ceiling.

1 hour wall = 2 layers of 5/8 drywall (i think you can extrapolate from there)
8inch concrete block is 2hour

Most fire rated walls are built around mechanical/electrical rooms or as fire breaks between tenant lease spaces. Some areas (like mine) require a minimum of a 2 hour rated wall between a restaurant lease space and another lease space.

At any rate if you're building commercial you should have blueprints and they should have details on industry standard wall types.

Last edited by Super-Mike; 09-28-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Mike View Post
Basically building a hourly fire rated wall simply comes down to a correct thickness of drywall or other building material, then fire caulking the heck out of it.

Any penetrations through the wall must be fire caulked, seems in the drywall can not break at the same place (as if any good hanger would do that anyway), and any air duct penetrations must have a fire damper at the penetration through the wall. You must also run the wall completely to the deck, not just to a purlin or bar-joist.

Any wood blocking must be fire-retardant and any insulation in the wall must have a UL rating equal to or exceeding the rating of the wall.

You are also required (at least here) to paint in clear, red lettering the rating of the wall above the ceiling if you have a lay in ceiling.

Most fire rated walls are built around mechanical/electrical rooms or as fire breaks between tenant lease spaces. Some areas (like mine) require a minimum of a 2 hour rated wall between a restaurant lease space and another lease space.

At any rate if you're building commercial you should have blueprints and they should have details on industry standard wall types.

Like he said.
Now where in Florida is your pub.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: High Rise Caulk and Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-Mike View Post

That is exactly the type of technical thinking that made it difficult to make money in the firestopping business in Memphis, where I spent a couple of years bidding jobs.

Who do you work for, Colonial?
Old 09-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #6

Trade: Superintendent for Commercial GC

Need to spec a UL assembly number. For this I would start by looking at UL-U419. Whatever you specify when you apply for permit will need to be built to the letter. This particular assembly requires steel studs 25g. or thicker, insulation (optional in some cases), and 5/8" Type-X GWB. Pay attention to the screw-off pattern and make sure to stagger joints from one side of the wall to the other.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Here, it must be 2 thicknesses of 5/8" Type X that meets ASTM C 36. The joints may not be in alignment when applied to one side of the studs but can be parallel if the sheets are on opposite sides of the studs.

You need to check county and city codes for the site.

Now where is this watering hole?

Albert Einstein
Old 09-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #8

Trade: Commercial Superintendent
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivinni View Post
That is exactly the type of technical thinking that made it difficult to make money in the firestopping business in Memphis, where I spent a couple of years bidding jobs.

Who do you work for, Colonial?
Negatory.

I have worked for a few GCs here and a drywall company. Currently work for a very good commercial GC which I will refrain from naming.

I do not see how technical thinking can stop someone from making money though. If you're going to do something it should be done properly and to code.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #9

Trade: General contractor

I just finished building 160 lf of 24' high fire wall. I used 3 5/8" 20 ga stud and 2 layers of 5/8" type X drywall on each side. There is a UL listing for this design but I'm not sure of the number. If you are going to be hanging anything off the wall you could go with 18 ga stud instead but 20 works fine.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: residential remodeling
Rewards Points: 75

You can find almost anything for any situation at this site

http://www.nationalgypsum.com/resources/firesound/

Greg

Greg
Old 02-26-2009, 06:26 AM   #11
Commercial Contractor

Trade: Commercial General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to Mud Master

How to build a firewall:

Step 1. Build a wall

Step 2. Light a match

Step 3. Get paid
Old 02-26-2009, 06:39 AM   #12
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
hey guys
my boss is testing me (as usual said of course i can do it).
we need to build a fire wall 26' high & 46' long in a commercial building.
we have concrete floors and steel purlins to attach to .
what gauge studs do i need ect...
5/8 drywall?
fire retardent joints?
please help
i also own a pub i florida and your help will get you a free night out on me.
Ask him if he wants a 1 hour wall, 2 hour wall etc.

1 hour wall will have 1 layer of 5/8" type X, a stud (it can be wood or steel) then 1 layer of 5/8" type X.

You get 20 minutes for each layer of 5/8" type x, 20 minutes for the stud.

If you put rockwool insulation in the stud cavity, you get another 20 minutes.

A 2 hour wall would have 2 layers of 5/8" type x on each side, the seams have to alternate.

The rated walls have to go to the deck and all penetrations fire caulked or use fire mud, you can use rock wool insulation between the gaps in the deck and then fire mud or caulk them.

Any PVC or other plastic pipes and wires such as T/D going through the rated walls have to be sleeved.

Any MC, EMT, or Ridgid conduit penetrating the rated wall has to go in at a 90 degree angle and be fire caulked.

Any doors in the rated wall have to be rated, 20 minutes for a 1 hour wall, and they have to have door closers on them, any doors with glass need to have fire glass in them.
Old 02-26-2009, 07:56 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

First you.... Wait, this post is five months old.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:09 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: Remodeling 30+ yrs
Rewards Points: 2,838

Here is a good place to get info.
http://www.nationalgypsum.com/qa/res...ports/1338.pdf

I have used Core Board 2" it is 24" by 8-10 or 12' then covered with 5/8 fire code gave us the rating for shaft walls\ stairways\ and elevators.

I will be in Florida on May 25 to collect! lol
Old 05-10-2009, 01:35 AM   #15

Trade: Construction management/General contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalley View Post
Ask him if he wants a 1 hour wall, 2 hour wall etc.

1 hour wall will have 1 layer of 5/8" type X, a stud (it can be wood or steel) then 1 layer of 5/8" type X.

You get 20 minutes for each layer of 5/8" type x, 20 minutes for the stud.

If you put rockwool insulation in the stud cavity, you get another 20 minutes.

A 2 hour wall would have 2 layers of 5/8" type x on each side, the seams have to alternate.

The rated walls have to go to the deck and all penetrations fire caulked or use fire mud, you can use rock wool insulation between the gaps in the deck and then fire mud or caulk them.

Any PVC or other plastic pipes and wires such as T/D going through the rated walls have to be sleeved.

Any MC, EMT, or Ridgid conduit penetrating the rated wall has to go in at a 90 degree angle and be fire caulked.

Any doors in the rated wall have to be rated, 20 minutes for a 1 hour wall, and they have to have door closers on them, any doors with glass need to have fire glass in them.
Winner!

also make sure you use RED fire caulk. and not the orange fire foam. we had a laborer use the foam on a job last year, and damn was it a pain to remove it all.

Last edited by Blackcloud; 05-10-2009 at 01:38 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #16
Damn Skippy

Trade: You can completely control your attitude...if you.
Rewards Points: 3,184

FIRE RESISTANCE DESIGN MANUAL (GA-600-2006)
The 18th edition of the Gypsum Associationís flagship publication depicts over 340 systems that may be used for fire-rated walls and partitions, floor/ceiling systems, roof/ceiling systems, and to protect columns, beams, and girders. Included for the first time in this edition are several new floor- and roof-ceiling systems and double-stud steel partition designs. This manual provides contractors, designers, specifiers, owners, and others with a convenient compilation of the latest in tested gypsum-board designed fire-rated protection systems (as well as some tried and true older systems hat have been with us for quite awhile). It also helps building officials keep up with fire-rated gypsum board systems that are permitted under the codes.

http://www.gypsum.org/GA60006.html

Typically firewall construction is spelled out in your controlling documentation (the plans). If you are building a firewall make sure some inspection authority approves it, so in case it ever has to stop a fire - the lawsuits that follow won't find you liable for anything unapproved.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
improving homes

Trade: Roofing/Remodeling

I really hope he got the built in the 8 months since he posted it!
Old 05-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #18
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,730

For residential construction is 2 layers of 5/8 type X sheetrock on both sides of the wall with joints of face layer offset 16 inches from the base layer.

Tags
commercial wall