Water Leaking Through A Foundation Wall. Any Advice Would Be Appreciated

Old 05-09-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
Kmurdock

Trade: Remodeling contractor / Carpenter
Rewards Points: 75

Water Leaking Through A Foundation Wall. Any Advice Would Be Appreciated

I've been doing some repairs on a house for a HO that just bought the place and her foremost concern was that there was some water damage in her basement and she had it tested for mold and there was (not toxic) so she hired me to tear out the sheetrock and get rid of all the mold and water damage. She told me that the rain gutter drain pipe was right where the water was leaking in and that she had the rain gutter taken care of. Well I tore out about 14' x 2' of sheetrock, vapor barrier and insulation and then treated it with moldicide. Any how I couldn't get back to it for a few days and the HO just sent me an email letting me know that the wood, foundation and insulation is wet. I am going there tomorrow to take a look and repair some other odds and ends. My first thoughts are that it is a crack in the foundation - it's been raining A LOT here and there is no plumbing in or near that wall. The house is around 10 years old and in good condition. Any one have any tips on what else to look for. More importantly does anyone have any tips on the best way to fix it. Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,762

Re: Water Leaking Through A Foundation Wall. Any Advice Would Be Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmurdock View Post
I've been doing some repairs on a house for a HO that just bought the place and her foremost concern was that there was some water damage in her basement and she had it tested for mold and there was (not toxic) so she hired me to tear out the sheetrock and get rid of all the mold and water damage. She told me that the rain gutter drain pipe was right where the water was leaking in and that she had the rain gutter taken care of. Well I tore out about 14' x 2' of sheetrock, vapor barrier and insulation and then treated it with moldicide. Any how I couldn't get back to it for a few days and the HO just sent me an email letting me know that the wood, foundation and insulation is wet. I am going there tomorrow to take a look and repair some other odds and ends. My first thoughts are that it is a crack in the foundation - it's been raining A LOT here and there is no plumbing in or near that wall. The house is around 10 years old and in good condition. Any one have any tips on what else to look for. More importantly does anyone have any tips on the best way to fix it. Thanks
Extend the leaders, and check the grade...it could be back-pitched.

Kmurdock (05-09-2011), MichiganREO (08-04-2011)
Old 05-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #3
Kmurdock

What is a leader?
Old 05-10-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 3,102

the downspout from the gutters

Which Gregs advice is a start, find the leak and repair it. All leaks should be repaired before the water gets in, i.e. you may need to dig the outside, clean up the wall, apply peel and stick or some form of water protections, then I would use Delta MS or similar make sure the weeping tile is working and not plugged.

Wet basements are not fun, most people don't adequately waterproof them and this happens and it costs a lot more to fix it now then when first built.
Kmurdock (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
Kmurdock

So I checked outside (something I should have done first) and sure enough the grade was slightly back pitched and the leader that was recently "installed" was smashed on the end and was plugged, the leader wasn't even screwed on. Any how Thanks for the input so far it has helped. I am still torn about whether to fix it from the outside or inside, it seems like it would be better to plug the leak from outside, but I already have sheetrock torn out on the inside and it wouldn't be much more to take out more since I am already going to be patching the wall anyway. Any and all experience and wisdom that you can give me would be awesome! Thanks
Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
I'm a Mac

You didn't say if it was a block or poured wall.

If poured and you can find the crack, you can drill and inject epoxy. Keep in mind, if you haven't done this before you probably shouldn't try it by yourself without someone who has done it before.

If it is block, are they filled? If not, drill 2" holes below the top course semi-solid and pour liquified grout in. Now when you do this, the basement will flood as you will be forcing any water within the cavities to run and it will find it's way out and it will be into the basement, not outside.

Barring that info, dig it up
Kmurdock (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
General Contractor

I don't know if anyone is familiar with this type of drainage, but its one of the Engineering approved foundation drainage methods in certain situations.

You basically cut and remove 2x6x4" area of the floor near the foundation every 4 feet and you drill a hole in the block,and insert
1 1/2" pipe elbowed under the slab, and you patch the slab. Any water or moisture enters the block, it will drain under the slab and into the sump, leaving walls always dry.

Here is an example
Attached Thumbnails
Water leaking through a foundation wall. Any advice would be appreciated-drainage.jpg  
Old 05-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
Kmurdock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson View Post
You didn't say if it was a block or poured wall.

If poured and you can find the crack, you can drill and inject epoxy. Keep in mind, if you haven't done this before you probably shouldn't try it by yourself without someone who has done it before.

If it is block, are they filled? If not, drill 2" holes below the top course semi-solid and pour liquified grout in. Now when you do this, the basement will flood as you will be forcing any water within the cavities to run and it will find it's way out and it will be into the basement, not outside.

Barring that info, dig it up
It is a poured foundation, so would you drill and inject from inside or still dig it up and drill and inject from the outside, Sorry it's that time of night when my brain quits functioning.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
I'm a Mac

Hey Greg, that system does work, but is a lot of work, I did it on one house with a block foundation, it did fix about 90% of the problem but still had an issue in one corner. I think by the time you figure the breaking of the slab, inserting the weeper, hauling out the excess materials and re-concrete, digging up on the outside may be more cost effective...depending on the landscaping obviously.

If you have not done the epoxy injection before, it is not a first time by yourself thing. You drill and epoxy nipples (Like grease fittings) into the wall every 4-8 inches, depending on crack size, etc., etc. and then you have a grease type gun with epoxy and squeeze it in and pump like crazy to force it threw the crack to the outside and it will also ooze to the inside, it is sealing the crack. Again, work with someone first who has done it before attempting on your own, it could be a costly mistake if done incorrectly and if you do mess it up, you can't cut it out and start again, your digging!
Kmurdock (05-10-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 02:28 AM   #10
General Contractor

Quote:
Hey Greg, that system does work, but is a lot of work, I did it on one house with a block foundation, it did fix about 90% of the problem but still had an issue in one corner. I think by the time you figure the breaking of the slab, inserting the weeper, hauling out the excess materials and re-concrete, digging up on the outside may be more cost effective...depending on the landscaping obviously.

If you have not done the epoxy injection before, it is not a first time by yourself thing. You drill and epoxy nipples (Like grease fittings) into the wall every 4-8 inches, depending on crack size, etc., etc. and then you have a grease type gun with epoxy and squeeze it in and pump like crazy to force it threw the crack to the outside and it will also ooze to the inside, it is sealing the crack. Again, work with someone first who has done it before attempting on your own, it could be a costly mistake if done incorrectly and if you do mess it up, you can't cut it out and start again, your digging!
I agree with you Chris, then again, what is not allot of work, when it comes to installing foundation drains. 90% of the time, the cause for wet basements is back-pitched grading, gutters overflow or leader discharge problems. The cause for the rest of the problems is high water table or hydrostatic pressure, etc

The method I showed in the example, I did this on a few jobs, where the problem was on one or two of the foundation walls... So cutting the slab every 4' and installing 1 1/2" pipe into the block cavity and draining under the slab like I have on the picture was the best remedy based on the situation... and it solved the problem... It was doing that, or cutting back the whole slab 12" along the whole foundation wall (which would have been more work and more of a mess) and installing interior drainage channel along the slab's edge perimeter, or digging up outside and use a drainage membrane.

I never used epoxy nipples but I heard about this method using low-pressure injection of epoxy when working with poured foundation cracks... Thanks for bringing this up, I will look-into this again

Last edited by greg24k; 05-11-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
I'm a Mac

I see your method Greg with just opening up every 4'. That would be less work then cutting a swath around the whole perimeter.

I will admit I have not had any foundation repair work in over 12 years, so my methods may be outdated.

12 years ago...I got tired of leaks, 1 or 2 a year. Now...peel and stick from grade down over the top of the footing and down the face of footing at least 6", followed up with a layer of Delta MS and 2' of 3/4" clear gravel over the weeper. Cost is not an issue when you look at repair costs!

And if you can convince the customer for a better system on the weepers use CertainTeed form a drain which now has weepers inside and out.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
General Contractor

Quote:
I see your method Greg with just opening up every 4'. That would be less work then cutting a swath around the whole perimeter.

I will admit I have not had any foundation repair work in over 12 years, so my methods may be outdated.

12 years ago...I got tired of leaks, 1 or 2 a year. Now...peel and stick from grade down over the top of the footing and down the face of footing at least 6", followed up with a layer of Delta MS and 2' of 3/4" clear gravel over the weeper. Cost is not an issue when you look at repair costs!

And if you can convince the customer for a better system on the weepers use CertainTeed form a drain which now has weepers inside and out.
I believe the method you described still in use on existing/already built homes with water problems.
I only did very few jobs correcting the foundation water problem with method I described in area with very poor soil drainage (clay) the houses about 30 years and older with cinder block foundation. Do to hydrostatic pressure and soil movement many of the basements have major water issues.

It is much better to take precautions from the start when the house is being build. I am also using the system you describing on the homes I built. Here is one I am doing now, the house is already framed and ready for sheetrock, but here is the foundation picture using Super Seal membrane.
Attached Thumbnails
Water leaking through a foundation wall. Any advice would be appreciated-p_00026.jpg  
Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 AM   #13
Kmurdock

http://www.xypex.com/why/applicators/repairs.php#

When you get to this page click the launch button for a video demonstration on concrete crack repair.

Last edited by Kmurdock; 05-11-2011 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
Kmurdock

So I should have taken out more sheetrock to find the crack earlier, I had just a 2' high section taken out and just assumed that it was cracked. Well I took more sheetrock out today and found that the leak was coming out around a snap tie. I'm thinking of chiseling out around it about an inch and about 1" inch deep and then filling it with hydraulic mud, I also would do the same thing on the outside since I would only have to dig down about 2', and then put a membrane on the outside or something to water proof it more, bring in some fill dirt/rock to slope the grade away from the house and put a new extension on the down spout. I ran a hose for an hour just to make sure there were no other leaks. What do you guys think?

Last edited by Kmurdock; 05-11-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-11-2011, 10:28 PM   #15
General Contractor

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 276

I would also work on diverting any water away on the outside by installing french drains etc so that you do not rely so much on the concrete to keep the water out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Laketahoedan For This Useful Post:
Kmurdock (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
I'm a Mac

Is the current outside tar damproofing?

If so, get below grade tar waterproofing, a big brush and some fibermesh...and some old cloths or a zoot suit and gloves. make sure the wall is really clean of all dirt and debris, use your gloved hands, spread the tar, embed mesh and another layer of tar, backfill with gravel.

Don't worry about the inside, it's better if you leave it open so if it does leak again the water flows rather then get trapped and freeze in the winter which could 'pop' and make the leak even bigger.

Ties are common leaks, but now clarifies the use of peel and stick followed by Delta MS.

For ****s and giggles let me know your invoice when done and compare it to peel and stick and Delta MS (Platon) on the whole foundation. Don't forget the interior repairs you now need to do.

I'm just wanting to confirm my theory about cost to do it my way to start and the cost of a repair!
Kmurdock (05-11-2011)
Old 05-12-2011, 10:57 AM   #17
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,154

Quote:
Is the current outside tar damproofing?

If so, get below grade tar waterproofing, a big brush and some fibermesh...and some old cloths or a zoot suit and gloves. make sure the wall is really clean of all dirt and debris, use your gloved hands, spread the tar, embed mesh and another layer of tar, backfill with gravel.

Don't worry about the inside, it's better if you leave it open so if it does leak again the water flows rather then get trapped and freeze in the winter which could 'pop' and make the leak even bigger.

Ties are common leaks, but now clarifies the use of peel and stick followed by Delta MS.

For ****s and giggles let me know your invoice when done and compare it to peel and stick and Delta MS (Platon) on the whole foundation. Don't forget the interior repairs you now need to do.

I'm just wanting to confirm my theory about cost to do it my way to start and the cost of a repair!
any specific brand recommendations?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #18
I'm a Mac

Henry's will have a product that you can use
Old 05-12-2011, 03:49 PM   #19
Every now and then poster

Trade: Home Remodeling Professional
Rewards Points: 2,302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Johnson

That's how we do it. Just don't plan on re-using any of the tools, or caulk gun.

http://www.ohiohomedoctorremodeling.com
Old 05-13-2011, 10:38 AM   #20
Kmurdock

Ohiohomedoctor:

What product would you recommend and if I decide to go this route where would I get some. Thanks