Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Stamped Concrete Drive

12K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Bull Trout 
#1 ·
How tough is it to do a stamped drive? I am a GC and haven't done these before, building a home for myself and the wife wants a stamped and stained drive. I can rent the stamp forms but would like to know if this is something someone with general knowledge can do? The bids I am getting for this in New Orleans are pretty high between 9 and 11 a sq ft inc materials. Seems high to me based on pricing I have seen else where $3-6 a sq ft.

#6 ·
How tough is it to do a stamped drive?
Seems high to me based on pricing I have seen else where $3-6 a sq ft.
As far as for how tough it would be, I suppose a good worker with good common sense can do most anything but concrete, like asphalt, has a workability window and if you dont have your act together the cost and work involved with removing it to start over will be very aggrevating.

Pricing? I never did stamped concrete my self but I can tell you out here concrete is about 110.00 per yard. At 6" deep, which is what a driveway should be, that alone is 2.00 per sq ft. So who or how anyoyne can do the job for 3.00 is beyond me.

I would think 10 or more per sq ft for out here but in La.?????????????/

#7 ·
The stamps are expensive. They can be rented also, still expensive. Plus you have to buy the release agent/stain. About $100 for a 5 gallon bucket. I just did a driveway about 33 yards and used two 5 gallon buckets. One a dark blue and the other a brown color. You need to use a tamper. And I would get a chisel or a roller for any touchups on the joints. If you have to use the stamps anywhere next to a wall or curb, you'll need to get one floppy stamp to be able to get into the hard to reach places.

Here's some pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/briankfranks/Work/photo#5114681386118619602

Set of stamps
http://picasaweb.google.com/briankfranks/Work/photo#5114679702491439538

Spreading the release/stain and tamping the stamps:
http://picasaweb.google.com/briankfranks/Work/photo#5114679766915948994

I think it's pretty easy, but the release is messy. Be prepared to get really dirty. If you can do concrete and finish, the stamping part is easy.

#11 ·
Nice work Cali!

We just started doing a little stamping, and as stated above, a driveway isn't the place to learn. If you can, go watch someone else doing it, or at least try a small walk or something first. The best results we have had is with color hardener bull floated in, and a dry release accent dusted on. Powerwash and seal a few days later.

#12 ·
Driveways

A driveway is not something you would want to learn on. A stamped concrete driveway might be tempting. Stamped concrete is concrete that is patterned and/or textured or embossed to resemble brick, slate, flagstone, stone, tile, wood, and various other patterns and textures. Stamped concrete is commonly used for patios, sidewalks an driveways

#13 ·
A driveway is not something you would want to learn on. A stamped concrete driveway might be tempting. Stamped concrete is concrete that is patterned and/or textured or embossed to resemble brick, slate, flagstone, stone, tile, wood, and various other patterns and textures. Stamped concrete is commonly used for patios, sidewalks an driveways
stating the obvious is when you tell someone something they already know, even 11 years later

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.