Staining Concrete In Ready Mix Truck

Old 11-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #1

Trade: General
Staining Concrete In Ready Mix Truck

We are pouring a slab on Monday and I had heard there was a way to stain the concrete while it's still in the truck or "before it's poured". I also read about using iron sulfate to stain concrete.

Anyone done this before? Do you know if it is possible to use iron sulfate in the truck before the concrete is poured? Have you heard of others doing this or have you done it yourself. If so, what sort of formula is needed for a darker "rust" colored stain?

Since I am a GC and colored concrete is pretty rare in our area, I've never dealt with this before. I'm hoping some of you concrete gurus have dealt with this before.

Like I said, we're kind of in a time crunch because of the slab being poured on Monday. Any advice would be tremendously appreciated.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-27-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor

Re: Staining Concrete In Ready Mix Truck

An intro will get you better responses.

Yes, you can add dye in the truck. Check with your concrete supplier as there will be additional fees, mainly for clean up. Unless you have some experience with this the color you want is likely to be very different to what comes out the chute.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #3
Gumby

Trade: Concrete

Technically it is not staining.
You can add integral color to the batch. You can do it yourself or have the ready mix company do it if they provide that service.

My ready mix co needs 10 days advance notice to have the correct color on hand and they charge $30-100 extra per yard depending on the color and weight of color needed to achieve the color desired. You will see 1lb, 3lb and 5lb colors. They also charge $50 to clean the truck.

If you have never done it before you will be in for a treat. Be consistent with your methods don't add water. Expect color differences between trks.

A stain would be easier after the concrete is down and cured. Get stain from supplier possibly sherwin williams, or most other paint suppliers. Typically one or 2 coats are sprayed 4-6 hrs apart.

Both will need sealers. A cure and seal for the integral and a high solids xylene based sealer for the stain. Check for compatibility.

Here are some links to our local suppliers. Good info: http://www.lambertusa.com/color/

http://www.alabamapigments.com/

Good luck.

Last edited by IanS; 11-28-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to IanS For This Useful Post:
jduck777 (11-28-2010)
Old 11-28-2010, 03:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses.

Ians, have you ever used iron sulfate in the truck to actually color the concrete?

I know there are other methods and stains that could be used, but the area the home is being built in is somewhat rural. Irons sulfate is readily available at a local feed store, so that's why I'm especially interested in it.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #5
Concrete Mike

Trade: concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck777 View Post
Thanks for the responses.

Ians, have you ever used iron sulfate in the truck to actually color the concrete?

I know there are other methods and stains that could be used, but the area the home is being built in is somewhat rural. Irons sulfate is readily available at a local feed store, so that's why I'm especially interested in it.
I haved used iron sulfate to stain hard concrete, never added it to a truck to make a intregal color. I would call your local redi mix supplier before adding iron sulfate to a truck!

Last edited by CONCRETE MIKE; 11-29-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #6

Ok, after talking things over with the concrete supplier, it would be better for the home owner to use the iron sulfate stain after the concrete has had time to cure. Thanks for your responses.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #7
Gumby

Trade: Concrete

Jduck,

I hope it all went well. No I have never used iron sulphate. Your decision will remove any uncertainties. Those unknowns make us contractors lose too much sleep.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Concrete & General Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck777 View Post
Ok, after talking things over with the concrete supplier, it would be better for the home owner to use the iron sulfate stain after the concrete has had time to cure. Thanks for your responses.
I prefer to add colored dye to the truck at job site as opposed to having ready mix supplier provide it. Our ready mix supplier will only do in increments of five cubic yards. I can go to color supplier and pick up what ever color and amounts per yard I need. Yes it takes more time at the site to mix it all up and yes there is a clean up charge, usually $65 minimum here. But, in the long run I feel you get a better product this way; intregral colored dye in concrete, then an antiqued release or a stain. Of course all this is in relationship to the size of the pour, etc.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #9
Lemonade Salesman

Trade: Renovation and Concrete Renovation

I don't see how Iron Sulfate would react in the truck so to speak. Doesn't Iron Sulfate react with the free alkali in the already cured concrete? We integral color concrete all the time in the truck but never with any caustic product like that staining bases. I'm not sure it would even color the concrete effectively since the concrete is still in the chemical reaction process.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #10

We opted not to use it on this pour and since I don't specialize in concrete, maybe someone else could concur with PPRI's point.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant

You do not "dye" concrete in a truck. A supplier that allows this should have to a reliability release form signed (in triplicate) and a hefty clean-out charge (not a wash out on site) before buying any thing else from him. A supplier that allows anything less should not be used in the future.

Unplaced "colored" concrete is properly done by using very strong permanent PIGMENT (normally iron oxides) and not just a dye, but is dosed at batching to create a batch plant and complete mixing if any guarantee is inferred. This is done under controlled situations that monitor aggregate surface and absorption moisture to adjust for hourly variations. This just creates a unform material for the contractor to place, consolidate and finish.

Any additional treatments such as stains and surface applications are up to the contractor, who assume the liability for the performance or acceptance of of the surface.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.

Tags
coloring, concrete, concrete staining, premix