Replacing Asphalt Speed Bumps

Old 05-24-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Customer Education & Development

Replacing Asphalt Speed Bumps

Hello Guys,

I don't come over here to this part of CT much but I think I need to start as there is some good participation. I usually hang out in the masonry forum because thats where I started I guess. My company does all sorts of hardscaping including lots of concrete sooooo I need to get myself over here and see what I can learn.

I do have a question about replacing some speed bumps at a job coming up this next week. I wouldn't normally do it but the SBs are tied into repairing a bunch of concrete sidewalks and as such I included them in my bid. For the record there are only 7 of them and they are in a bad state of repair.

My plan is to scrape the old ones and then dispose of them which seems straight forward. As to the new SBs my plan is to fetch a hot load of asphalt from our local Asphalt plant and just hand form and pack the new SB right back where the old ones used to reside. My main question is if I need a bonding agent or tar or somthing to give me better adherence? Any thoughts as to how to properly do a simple speed bump.

I'm going to be out of town for a few days and so If I don't reply right away it's cause I have'nt read it yet.
Thanks

tim

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-25-2008, 06:43 PM   #2
Captain of the Titanic

Trade: Asphalt Paving,Excavating, Masonry

Re: Replacing Asphalt Speed Bumps

Chuki, just what you've explained will work but a couple of things:

If they were put in like that (using a bonding agent we refer to as"tack emulsion") you may have difficulty getting the remains of the existing one out. You may need a compressor and jack hammer.

And that kind of leads me to my 2nd point. While you can install them like that it is generally better to key the pavement surface(make a knotch maybe 2 inches wide all the way around the perimeter of the bump or remove the pavement section completely) so the speed bump mass is tied into the drive surface and wont get displaced by things like plows, if they have such things in SC

Its not that the tack emulsion wont work, its just that making a key and doing the tie in is better.

As far as methods: Mark the area. Key the pavement. When you've determined the finshed hieght of the bump, place the asphalt in layers of about 2 inches compacting each layer until you get to your finished hieght. Make the shape you want as you go (kind of half round)

Last edited by Vinny; 05-25-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Customer Education & Development

Re: Replacing Asphalt Speed Bumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Chuki, just what you've explained will work but a couple of things:

If they were put in like that (using a bonding agent we refer to as"tack emulsion") you may have difficulty getting the remains of the existing one out. You may need a compressor and jack hammer.

And that kind of leads me to my 2nd point. While you can install them like that it is generally better to key the pavement surface(make a knotch maybe 2 inches wide all the way around the perimeter of the bump or remove the pavement section completely) so the speed bump mass is tied into the drive surface and wont get displaced by things like plows, if they have such things in SC

Its not that the tack emulsion wont work, its just that making a key and doing the tie in is better.

As far as methods: Mark the area. Key the pavement. When you've determined the finshed hieght of the bump, place the asphalt in layers of about 2 inches compacting each layer until you get to your finished hieght. Make the shape you want as you go (kind of half round)
Thanks Vinny,