Garage Foundation ?

Old 09-15-2007, 06:56 PM   #1

Trade: landscaping

Garage Foundation ?

I am building a 24x36 garage and wanted to know what I should do for a foundation. I am leaning towards a 6" slab that has gravel and vapor barrier under it and have wire mesh through it. I don't think I need 4' froast walls because I won't have a second floor and having it heated through the winter isn't a big deal to me.
Will I need a footer?
What kind of concrete do I need? (for ordering from plant)

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-15-2007, 07:20 PM   #2

Trade: electrical
Lightbulb

Re: Garage Foundation ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaside L&PS View Post
I am building a 24x36 garage and wanted to know what I should do for a foundation. I am leaning towards a 6" slab that has gravel and vapor barrier under it and have wire mesh through it. I don't think I need 4' froast walls because I won't have a second floor and having it heated through the winter isn't a big deal to me.
Will I need a footer?

Thanks
Since your "seaside", I surely would check with your building inspection department and I would recommend a single block off of that slab for
that fine structure to sit on, yes with block, no with no block, IMO.

But I sure would run a re-bar around the perimeter about 3" continually...

Frankly, there many various applications when U get in rebar, and and foundation bolt downs ... enjoy the Man Cave...

Old 12-20-2007, 10:00 PM   #3
Brock

Trade: Residential Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaside L&PS View Post
Will I need a footer?

Thanks
In Kansas you would have a footing 12" wide x 30" deep with 3 horizontal #4 rebar cont. Minimal 4" slab 3500 psi with either remesh wire or fiberglass added to the mix. You will need to grove the slab down the center fron to back and two more grooves perpendicular to prevent cracking. I have poured this type of garage floor for 22 years now in KS with exceptional results. Good luck on your poor.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: custom home building

Use fibre concrete in the field and have a 1'x1' perimeter with 5/8" rebar in it. Angle down the 3 1/2" deep field to meet the perimeter. Put plastic on top of your 4" base of compacted gravel and pour in two pours, 12' wide. Tie these two pours together with re-bar dowels. Cut it twice on each side (every 12 feet) or more if you want. Put plastic over it after your pour and let it cure slowly.

If your local area requires footings, then you'll need them. I don't know if you're on the equator or in Spitzbergen.

To cut the concrete, take your 2nd hand skilsaw which you have dropped off a few roofs and put a concrete blade in it and cut the concrete no more than a 1/4" at a time until you get down to 3/4-1" deep. Do this as soon as you can walk on the concrete and leave no marks with your saw table. Whatever you do, don't get some water and wet down the area and fill the saw kerf with water as you're cutting, because this would be dangerous. Always wear eye and ear protection and a condom never hurt either.

Tie a handkercheif around your arm or something so you won't forget your anchor bolts.