Cracks In Garage Floor

Old 05-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #1

Trade: FLORIDA CERTIFIED RESIDENTIAL CONTRACTOR

Cracks In Garage Floor

I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere already - please direct me if that's the case.

New Construction Spec - home is 5 mos. old - need good solution and technique to fill/fix running crack in garage concrete floor. Crack is less than 1/16" wide. The proper cuts were made in floor after pour both vertically and horizontally. Crack runs parallel about 1 ' above cut the whole width........figures.

Tried putting in some elastomeric concrete caulk and then painted floor with Tuf Top by Flex Bon (after etching). Looked good for awhile, but crack has opened....probably due to more settling.

We're in South Florida.

Thanks for any other ideas.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 05-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant

Re: Cracks In Garage Floor

Sounds like the slab was not sawed deep enough. Also, there may have been a gap in the wire mesh parallel to where the slab was sawed. - Maybe they sawed in the wrong place?

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: general contractor

Its not uncommon for concrete to crack someplace besides the cut. Maybe it wasn't deep enough or didn't cut soon enough or several other possibilities. The crack sounds like nothing other than a cosmetic problem, don't know of any surefire way of fixing it,thats just part of concrete work! Like the old saying goes, there are 2 guarantees with concrete, its gonna get hard and its gonna crack! Seriously we do a lot of concrete and try to control the cracking with cuts but sometimes for whatever reason you get a stray crack. Very seldom has anybody ever complained!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Wood working in spare time.

i have a crack in my garage floor. Goes the whole length of garage. But its a detached two car garage so im not worried about it. Seeing how it was built probably (not Sure) in late 70's i figure there probably isn't much i can do about it. I did notice back then they didn't put any groves in the concrete like they do now.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Residential General

I give people a 100% money back guarantee for concrete cracking.

If it doesn't crack, I'll give them all their money back. (Of course you want it to crack in the control cuts)
Old 05-03-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction

The 3 things we gaurantee is

1. It'll Crack
2. It's heavy
3. No one will steal it

Chris
Old 05-04-2007, 10:53 AM   #7

Trade: FLORIDA CERTIFIED RESIDENTIAL CONTRACTOR

Thanks Guys!

At least I got a good laugh today reading your replies. That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure.

At least I can now make it a little more humorous in my response to the question when I get another one.

By the way, it was Fiber that we used for the whole slab.