Asphalt Versus Concrete Versus Paver Cost

Old 03-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Contractor

Trade: Remodeling & Home Additions
Rewards Points: 2,072

Asphalt Versus Concrete Versus Paver Cost

I'm comparing some numbers for my own driveway and can (and have) done concrete and pavers but would have to contract out the asphalt. In Delaware, I could install pavers for about $2.60/sqft in materials and concrete for $1.35/sqft in materials...and I know my likely output in labor so can compare these items easiily for 3200 sqft of already compated area (5-6" minimum of built up base over 10yrs).

Any ideas on cost for 2" of asphalt given base is in place (overlapped at that)?

other concern is wearing down of edges of asphalt over time given running trucks/trailers off the edge (as in turning around and general parking issues)-can anyone comment on this?

last question: adding color to concrete-I understand there are two methods-mixed in the truck which is color throughout the concrete and top spead which is floated. the method of spreading and floating on top-is even coverage and penetration a concern? if mixed in the truck at time of delivery, how long is sufficient for proper dispersion and does the concrete company charge for this (I supply powder)?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Masonry consultant
Rewards Points: 2,128

Re: Asphalt Versus Concrete Versus Paver Cost

If you get pigmented color from a ready-mix supplier, you will definitely get a better product and pay more. Some ready-mix suppliers will not use any pigment that they are not familiar other brands and they buy quality pigments much cheaper than you can. For premixed, what you are paying for is the washing and rinsing and cleaning of the truck drums and the central mix drum if it is a major supplier.

As you can guess, most concrete producers do not like pigmented concrete unless you want a few hundred yards.

Engineer, designer and consultant recently active domestically and internationally on construction and design in about 40 countries.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Contractor

last I checked we are running $109 for 3500 w/ fiberglass. I have not inquired yet about cleaning the drum...assume there will be some sort of additional charge but not not clear on cost as of yet. I'm looking at four truck loads-not sure they will like that too much.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Concrete Mike

Trade: concrete
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4 View Post
I'm comparing some numbers for my own driveway and can (and have) done concrete and pavers but would have to contract out the asphalt. In Delaware, I could install pavers for about $2.60/sqft in materials and concrete for $1.35/sqft in materials...and I know my likely output in labor so can compare these items easiily for 3200 sqft of already compated area (5-6" minimum of built up base over 10yrs).

Any ideas on cost for 2" of asphalt given base is in place (overlapped at that)?

other concern is wearing down of edges of asphalt over time given running trucks/trailers off the edge (as in turning around and general parking issues)-can anyone comment on this?

last question: adding color to concrete-I understand there are two methods-mixed in the truck which is color throughout the concrete and top spead which is floated. the method of spreading and floating on top-is even coverage and penetration a concern? if mixed in the truck at time of delivery, how long is sufficient for proper dispersion and does the concrete company charge for this (I supply powder)?
If you use a integral color be very careful on the amount you pour and how you pour it, you can screw it up if you are not familiar on how to place decorative concrete. Also it is a good idea to add a surface hardner. One hour is the time from batch to placement of 10 yards, unless you at a retarder (add 1/2 hr). It is also a good idea to have your redi mix company add the color at the plant, i like to use liquid, it mixes very well. Also you need to think about what percent of color you want to have (1%-4%). Clean up charge is about 50.00 per truck (ohio).

Last edited by CONCRETE MIKE; 03-14-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #5
Contractor

the plant confirmed a $50 cleanup charge and also stated color charge is $65/yd^3 (other colors may vary).
Old 03-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #6

Trade: General Construction
Rewards Points: 75

If it were me, i'd go with asphalt..We all have our opinions thought. Mike likes concrete, I like asphalt.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Gumby

Trade: Concrete

If you plan to drive over the edge of asphalt you could pour a flat concrete curb to lock in the asphalt.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #8

Trade: Mason

I'm a little late in posting, but here in NY it cost $1.50/sq ft for 2" asphalt if the ground is already prepped.
Its funny, I have added color to trucks on site probably 3 or 4 times and never had any cleanup charge.
Old 04-22-2010, 12:29 AM   #9

Trade: Concrete/Excavation
Rewards Points: 25

How many home foundations or walls that you know are made from asphalt ?? Exactlyy..... asphalt for highways, Concrete for driveways!! Driveway done right lasts years. Pour no more then a 4" slump max. As far as colour (integral) my experience is to bump up the strength about 500 psi ( for dry powder colours) Remeber you get what you pay for !! I do endorse however a stamped or just coloured, even plain "picture frame of concrete around asphalt (3-4" rolled) use a quality sealer , and don't park anything heavy on the asphalt on a Hot day .