Freelance Drafting - How To Price

Old 06-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #1

Trade: draftsmen
Rewards Points: 10

Freelance Drafting - How To Price

I have an associates in arch. tech., and have three years experience. I was laid off from a construction company in 2009, but continued to work contract for the same architect. I was only getting 10$/hr while working there, then went to 15$/hr when I went to contract. Im still making 15$/hr and i feel this is still pretty low. I draw mainly construction drawings, some preliminary, and when they client wants it I do skp models. I do little to no design work, or load calculations, as i work cloesly with the architect and he mainly takes care of these things. Also, I am the only draftsman, and he only hand drafts. I live in eastern NC.
How do I figure out what to charge?

Last edited by angus242; 06-23-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: edited pricing question

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 06-23-2011, 01:01 PM   #2
I no spell good

Trade: No Longer Zoned
Rewards Points: 226

Re: Freelance Drafting - How To Price

"How much to"questions are not allowed here. I have edited your post and removed the exact pricing questions. It's funny you posted this as we have an ongoing discussion happening. Read this thread:
http://www.contractortalk.com/f11/wh...r-talk-100555/
Now read this thread:
http://www.contractortalk.com/f16/pr...success-27899/

me82788 (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #3

i see from reading those posts the reasoning behind them not being allowed, but it still leaves me emptyhanded. I understand the basic principles of figuring out what i should charge -

what i want to make annually * 1.25 (for taxes blah blah b/c of contract work) / 2080 work hours in a year = what i should charge an hour.

but i have no clue what the running salary for a draftsmen is to put into my equation. i guess i could go to like salary.com or something and find an estimate?
Old 06-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
I no spell good

Trade: No Longer Zoned
Rewards Points: 226

Plug $15/per hour into your calculations to see if that works. If so, can you live with that? If not, try incrementing until you get what number makes it profitable for you.

Try not to focus on a per hour number when you figure your costs. Sounds like worrying solely about that number is hanging you up.
Willie T (06-24-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpenter
Rewards Points: 2,000

Keep learning, keep drawing...rinse, repeat.
The Following User Says Thank You to J F For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,970

The department of Labor & Industry has all kinds of numbers on employee wages for various occupations, broken down by geographical area.

A general rule of thumb for an employer is that an employee should produce billable work worth about three times what he is being paid. That allows the employer to make money over and above the cost of workman's comp and the various benefits he provides.

If you're truly a fully self-directed independent contractor and not just a 1099 dodge, the difference between your fee and what the architect charges for your work is pretty much all profit for him. That's oversimplified, but the gist is there. Just don't forget though, that in a sense you are a parasite. Suck too much blood from the host, and you'll be looking for a new home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinstaafl For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (06-23-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Custom deck builder
Rewards Points: 3,681

I've easily made $100-$250 an hour on drafting.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #8

Trade: General & Design
Rewards Points: 25

Consider charging by the job rather than by the hour...the better CAD drafter you are the more you'll make an hour.

If you're taking a new job from sketch to cd's you're doing essentially all of the work for him. The less marking up and corrections he needs to make the more efficient the job is, hence more profitable.

Maintain a good library of details, blocks and general notes. Make yourself more efficient. Of course if you can command payment per job rather than per hour you will make much more.
The Following User Says Thank You to ziemer For This Useful Post:
Rio (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #9
PRO

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by me82788 View Post
i see from reading those posts the reasoning behind them not being allowed, but it still leaves me emptyhanded. I understand the basic principles of figuring out what i should charge -

what i want to make annually * 1.25 (for taxes blah blah b/c of contract work) / 2080 work hours in a year = what i should charge an hour.

but i have no clue what the running salary for a draftsmen is to put into my equation. i guess i could go to like salary.com or something and find an estimate?
I know your experience is mostly in an architectural setting and overpricing yourself is going to get you know where. If you want to make money doing CAD get yourself an RID stamp, its easier than becoming an architect and they get a great hourly rate.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #10

whats RID?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:05 PM   #11
PRO

Registered Interior Designer...not sure what the call them up there. They do just about the same thing as architects but have some limitations, none of which I can think of off the top of my head. I work with a couple down here.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
PRO

I mostly work with them on interior build outs, they produce all the CD's and attach the MEP's just like an architect does. And YES...the suck just as much as architects, there dimensions are never right and always vague.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #13
Fire up the BBQ

Trade: GC
Rewards Points: 4,478

You are going to have to become adept at design work.
Also you need to know how a building is put together & with what materials. This will likely involve some field experience. You do not want the reputation of no one wanting to build what you draw because you suffer from a rectal cranial inversion.

IMO, you will need some sort of CAD program to be successful. Constant changes, electronic submittals & client review are getting to be the norm.

The Draftsman/Designers I know all charge by the sq foot for residential & most commercial.

PM Scipio Africanus (Andy), he's up on all the CAD stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to griz For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (06-28-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #14

Trade: General & Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandConst View Post
I mostly work with them on interior build outs, they produce all the CD's and attach the MEP's just like an architect does. And YES...the suck just as much as architects, there dimensions are never right and always vague.
That's cuz interior designers have no business doing construction documents.

The more you can experience a construction site and understand what the lines in CAD actually represent in the field the better off you'll be. I have always prided myself in that I feel I'm a real world practical kinda designer...it may not always be the prettiest out there, but you'll damn sure be able to build it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ziemer For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (06-28-2011), Willie T (07-16-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
New Guy

Trade: New York

Thanx guys!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 AM   #16

Trade: Low Voltage

Generally Free-lance cad work is priced out by the project. I have some friends who charge by the page size and number of pages.
It obviously depends on the service you are providing, but don't be shy about asking your potential customers directly. I have found that they are usually willing to share with you what thier expectations are and what price points they are accustomed to paying.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
Where do I begin?

Trade: General Contractor/ Remodeler

I do a sheet for $150-$200
Old 08-19-2014, 02:44 PM   #18

Trade: DRAFTING
Rewards Points: 6

I see that a few people have referenced charging by the project or sheet. I also regularly see that people mention making more money by charging this way.

I am a contract drafter and have been charging by the hour for small projects. I need to transition to charging a fee per project... Can anyone provide additional details on how they (or friends) price this? The more info the better, PM if needed.

The hard part is that these are new projects with a new client, custom homes for an architect, so it is hard for me to estimate at this point how much time the projects will likely take me (otherwise i could just multiple my hourly rate by the estimated hours

Can anyone provide info on how they are charging in what areas maybe? I will be in California.

Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by CAD DRAFTING; 08-19-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: avoid asking for direct price info :)
Old 08-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #19
Pro

Trade: builder fl cbc
Rewards Points: 916

gosh you guys, tree fiddy at least per drawing!
Old 08-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: mason
Rewards Points: 2,334

Just to throw it out there. A number of years ago,I had a conversation with a semi retired architect that lives in my area regarding fees. He has been around a long time (he is 86),he said when he was at it full time,the work was priced at one weeks wage for an architect per page. It may seem exorbitant by today's standard however,things were somewhat different then. For instant,all work was done with a T square and pencil,also he was trained in classical architecture. If one can imagine drawing the capitals of the orders in that fashion one can appreciate the level of detail.

If one were to view some of the earliest work that became part of the White Pine Monographs in the early part of the past century a full appreciation of the time involved would be sensed. The drawings were works of art in addition to depicting how the building goes together.

Today,the drawings are strictly utilitarian,the art has left the architecture,IMHO. One can certainly argue the need for the cad system however,with that came a disconnect between the designer and the design. The best analogy I can come up with (which admittedly is not very good) is like a computer producing a oil painting instead of an artist with his brush.