CA Room Planner

Old 02-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #1
CAD Services

Trade: So done with this place...
Rewards Points: 144

CA Room Planner

This looks pretty cool. I guess I will be getting a new iPad in a few months when the new ones come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe1V...5XqlKHoPz-_UpS

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #2
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 34

Re: CA Room Planner

Didn't know this existed. Just downloaded the trial app. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Whatever the customer wants
Rewards Points: 2,020

This is really cool.
I remember how disappointed I was to find out my GLM100c couldn't be used as a keyboard emulator through bluetooth to do similar things with Sketchup.

Looks like Leica is the only bluetooth laser measure that has keyboard emulation drivers for it.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
Architect

Trade: Architect
Rewards Points: 86

I just commented with this below on that CA video:

As an Architect, I have to do this all the time, so much so, I wrote an app to do this. Finding As-Builts and Floor Area is relative to the job you need, in this above case those 'guidelines' are spelled out, it is an interior remodel, and those interior dimensions need to be pretty darn good because of counters and tops, so this is how I proceed: I walk around the room while in my app and drag corners to any corners I can stand right up over including edges of counters... I get the entire plan done while I am in 3D (Augmented Reality) mode which is actually very quick, much quicker than above, I switch to 2D mode, and use a tool to straighten any corners to 90degrees that are close already (not that they really are 90 degrees, but it is a good start point), (this is just tapping on a button and it does all corners), I then straighten the whole drawing to paper, (this plan comes in with true north calculated in with north arrow) so now the plan is straight, and north arrow will be turned to still face north, now I will touch on third button which puts in all the dimensions automatically in an "as-built" drawing. And since this job above needs to be more accurate than the app will provide, (close but maybe an inch off in the plan, App is using AR not lasers, so it is extremely quick and pretty close to the actual dimensions) I will now walk around with the laser pointer and correct the dimensions in the plan, this will also force some corners to no longer be 90 degrees, so one needs to take crossing dimensions, (like it sounds, across the room caddy corner) to find which corners really are not actually 90 degrees, I can do this easily because I now I have the plan in front of me already drawn to scale and can save to scale to cloud. I would like CA's opinion on the App, it is a first version, I'm planning on adding vertical surfaces/ walls counter tops, it was done with an extreme amount of attention to accuracy, more than a standard AR measuring app., (obviously because I need it). 'FloorArea AR' iPhone/ipad in App Store.

Last edited by hongj; 10-17-2017 at 01:58 PM.