Spray Foam Cost?

Old 03-08-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Deck/Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Spray Foam Cost?

Im supposed to meet with a HO tomorrow and give her my estimate for a finished basement. I planned on 2" foam panels, walls then FG. Ive always liked spray in for basements but never used it. Well there must be a spray foam convention somewhere b/c of the 6 guys i called only one answered the phone(secratary) and still havent got a call back. Ive got 1500 sq ft of wall. What kink of cost am I looking at? Is it possible to just do a skim coat and fill bays with FG to keep cost down?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-08-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Deck/Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Spray Foam Cost?

nevermind just got a call back.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:20 PM   #3
windows & siding

Trade: windows and exterior remodeling
Rewards Points: 526

Did you crap when you heard the price? .... Extruded board is far less expensive and very effective for the walls. The foam works nice in the sill boxes though. Around here, we buy the froth packs for around $350.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #4
Joseph A. Capece

Trade: GC-Remodeler-Builder
Rewards Points: 732

Let me put it this way. I just received two quotes a couple of days ago to insulate 2x8 floor joists, 16 oc. a total of 420 sq. ft of floor space.

Same company gave the following quotes:

Closed Cell R-21: $1,475

Fiberglass R-21: $425

Additions - Renovations - Home Improvement - Home Remodel & Repairs
Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #5

Trade: Electrical
Rewards Points: 10

I've seen it in a whole basement myself, very nice and quite toasty, but the HO (plumber) got quotes for his whole house in Walltite together. They covered a bunch of our chime, speaker and t-stat wiring... It was nice. It was a good price based on what I know... Nightmare if they bury a box or anything though.

I asked for a price while they were there and they figured $500 min charge for my personal townhome's sills including cantilevers. They wanted open cell though because of the depth... So at that point I figured $500 was not a comparison to two bags of rock wool, spray cans, polystyrene, drywall and fire caulking (unfinished area, so covering the exposed polystyrene). Less than $200 all in ain't bad because nobody wanted wiring for foam.

If I did it again I'd consider a spray product like Tiger Foam or others because it was time consuming, but evenings are free in my house. My customer doesn't want to pay me cash corner wages, it's not fair.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #6

Trade: Energy Efficient Spray Foam Insulation
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CENTERLINE MV View Post
Let me put it this way. I just received two quotes a couple of days ago to insulate 2x8 floor joists, 16 oc. a total of 420 sq. ft of floor space.

Same company gave the following quotes:

Fiberglass R-21: $425

I read your quote and this is what "WE" spray foam insulation contractors have to deal with. Anyway, This is how I figure an estimate.

First off Spray Foam costs allot! $2200 to $2800 per set of 55 Gal drums. Closed cell (2.0 @ 6.98R per inch set value)

You need foam at 4" to gain an 27.92R or you could go with 3" and gain 20.94R. 3" was closer to your desired 21R so we will use it for our base.
your 420 SQ FT floor with 3" of SPF = 420 BDFT Total to seal the floor joists. In Colorado we charge on the average $1.00 to $1.25 per BDFT and a fuel surcharge fee.
So, $1.00 per BDFT X 420BDFT = $420.00 Amazing! now for the fuel surcharge (My company's policy is to charge separately for tax purposes but runs $150 to $250 depending on how far we have to go, how high the property is etc etc.

so we add the $420.00 +
Fuel surcharge $150.00 = $570.00 Total

Looks like he doubled it to me. You must understand what you are purchasing.. SPF right now is at the Porsche or BMW cost, In the mountains 10,000 + ft Ferrari or Mercedes cost. But the savings month by month cool or hot is such a big difference! It's worth every penny just pinch it a bit LOL. I hope this helps a little!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 2,746

Yes people with pay amazing amounts of money for cosmetics on the house which get dated eventually and can be easily replaced but the heart and soul of the house gets "cheaped" out on.

You get one shot to build the structure and insulate it, and the payback is less than 1/2 a dozen years
Old 05-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #8
Joseph A. Capece

Trade: GC-Remodeler-Builder
Rewards Points: 732

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP INSULATION View Post
I read your quote and this is what "WE" spray foam insulation contractors have to deal with. Anyway, This is how I figure an estimate.

First off Spray Foam costs allot! $2200 to $2800 per set of 55 Gal drums. Closed cell (2.0 @ 6.98R per inch set value)

You need foam at 4" to gain an 27.92R or you could go with 3" and gain 20.94R. 3" was closer to your desired 21R so we will use it for our base.
your 420 SQ FT floor with 3" of SPF = 420 BDFT Total to seal the floor joists. In Colorado we charge on the average $1.00 to $1.25 per BDFT and a fuel surcharge fee.
So, $1.00 per BDFT X 420BDFT = $420.00 Amazing! now for the fuel surcharge (My company's policy is to charge separately for tax purposes but runs $150 to $250 depending on how far we have to go, how high the property is etc etc.

so we add the $420.00 +
Fuel surcharge $150.00 = $570.00 Total

Looks like he doubled it to me. You must understand what you are purchasing.. SPF right now is at the Porsche or BMW cost, In the mountains 10,000 + ft Ferrari or Mercedes cost. But the savings month by month cool or hot is such a big difference! It's worth every penny just pinch it a bit LOL. I hope this helps a little!
Don't get me wrong....I'm all about spray foam. I just sold a $6k dollar job to one of my clients.
Additions - Renovations - Home Improvement - Home Remodel & Repairs
Old 05-15-2011, 06:00 PM   #9

Trade: Spray applied insulator
Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Ummm..... 420sqft x 3" = 1260 bdft

Quote:
I wouldn't do joists for that price, I would be hard pressed to do a 420 sqft wall at that price. I think that's an excellent price!

Steve

Last edited by Cold; 05-15-2011 at 06:11 PM. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 05-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #10
I'm a Mac

Trade: ICF Construction
Rewards Points: 2,746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold View Post
Ummm..... 420sqft x 3" = 1260 bdft

I wouldn't do joists for that price, I would be hard pressed to do a 420 sqft wall at that price. I think that's an excellent price!

Steve
The US I noticed is about 2/3 of the cost of spray foam in Canada, much like everything else, you know, magazines, vehicles, fuel, etc. etc.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:40 AM   #11
SPF Equipment Experts

Trade: Spray Foam Insulation

Spray Foam is a high end product and people have to pay for it. It will pay for itself in the long run. It requires a lot of work and training and start up income to be able to correctly apply spray foam and contractors have to charge for that. Not to mention the cost of the product is high compared to other insulation products.

Last edited by Kent Whitten; 05-18-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: promotional
Old 05-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #12

Trade: General Contractor

With the cost of energy going up too - plus you don't have to use a vapor barrier. Spray foam is amazing. Animals don't like to pull at it, gravity won't make it shrink etc. Plus they're done super fast and your boards go up. It's totally worth it when your bills are half of your neighbor.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickangel For This Useful Post:
Frank Bovio (08-19-2011)
Old 08-19-2011, 12:55 PM   #13

Trade: Insulation, weatherization, HVAC

Fiberglass < spray foam

Air movement can happen in fiberglass, it fails at 30 degress or colder, and it makes a nice nest as many of us know.

Spray foamed houses in Louisiana after Huricane Katrina were still standing and had much less damage done to them compared to the regular homes.

Proff is in the pudding you get what you pay for, and the structual benifits of foam are amazing.......this comming from a cellulose guy....in the process of becoming a foam guy....

Writing is on the wall get on the foam train if you can afford to and ride into the future!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
topsail's trimcat

Trade: finish Carpenter/ renovations
Rewards Points: 2,126

were paying roughly 3x the cost of fibreglass here

last year we did a 4000 sq ft icf building with wood framing on the gable end walls both of which are tall wall detail, these and cathredrawel ceiling with teh middle section of hte building being flat.

the initial quote was for spray foam in the gable end walls, vaulted ceilings plus the entire attic... the cost was going to be $26,000 i believe... instead we went with fibreglass in the end walls and a 1" layer on top of hte drywall in the flat ceiling section then topped off with blown in cellulose.. saved like $14,000
Old 08-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
President of the world

Trade: general contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

as posted, my guy is a buck an inch per sq.ft