Removing Old Insulation?

Old 04-26-2008, 12:09 AM   #1

Trade: Insulation
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Removing Old Insulation?

Hi, just found this site and I am greatful because I frequently run into situations where I could use advice. I have been insulating for myself for a few years from now, but today I had a first. I was asked if I could remove some old cellulose that was supposed to have gotten wet. Do yall know of the easiest way to do this, (short of buyin one of those vaccuums)? It is a large house, about 2000 square foot. They also want the sellulose to be replaced with blown fiberglass @ R-38. All of this was recommended by the power company. I know that R-38 is recommende for our area (Alabama). There is a young girl with asthma and the only reason that they want to install fiberglass is because they were told that the cellulose would bother her asthma. Is this true? I thought that is all settles and wouldn't be a bother on the ground floor in a few days, and if it were, it seems as if the fiberglass would be worse? . Thanks in advance!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: LI,NY designer, new homes, renovation work, concre
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Removing Old Insulation?

welcome to the site, there is no magic for removing insulation, as far as any type being a problem for a person with asthma, during the installation any type would be a problem, after insall is complete, if done properly, there should be no airborne contaminents.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,728

We don't hav a vacuum, but I thought up a cheaper way would be to get a dust collector, one of the small, single machine types...$125 or so, and use your 3 inch hoses...should work great. Unless the cellulose actually "feel" damp, or tests with a moisture meter to be damp, why pull it out now? If it is dry, it should be no problem...and the stuff we use is extremely mold resistant.

As above, it is ridiculous to blow fiberglass when cellulose is the much better product. My son insulated a lady's attic and simply set up the wet nozzle and "misted" the product...virtually no dust, which she was happy with. Worked fine.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 04-27-2008, 09:00 PM   #4

Trade: Insulation

Thanks for the replies. What exactly are you referring to when you say dust collector? We have been thinking too and thought about using one or two large shop vacs? Might have to make a few reducers and such but it may work. I am going to make a few calls to see if a vac ia available to rent around here, but I highly doubt it.

That is what I was thinking as far as the insulation being an irritant, only during the process. These people had their mind made up before I got there, ya know. If I had known he wanted fiberglass blown in, I may have passed it up. It just makes no since to me. The only time that should be used is on a mobile home. But I'm just a small time operation in a small town and it would not be wise to turn down any job.

If you guys vcome with anything for a vac, please post. Also, what do you prefer to get you UP to catherdral ceilings? All of this new stuff is falling in my lap at once!
Old 04-27-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
New Guy

Trade: Insulation Installer/Building Contractor

Fiberglass blow-in is not that irritating, in fact my eyes burn, and my nose is
more plugged after blowing cellulose. I'm sure it depends on what machine you blow cellulose with, but even with the low dust formula I can not idle my machine low enough to not have to shut of the machine after five minuets of blowing to let the dust settle. As far as the removal, I have an insulation vaccuum, but I will not use it for cellulose removal because you don't know what is in that insulation. It could break the fins on your machine and those things are not cheap to replace, so I agree with Joasis on the use of the $125vacuum, and like he said, "if it's not wet, why take it out?"
Old 04-28-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 3,728

Go to one of the cheap tool houses, like Harbor Freight, and they have small dust collectors....probably less then $100. You can use your hoses you already have.

Insulated Concrete Homes / ICF's
My Facebook Page
Old 06-26-2009, 05:35 AM   #7

Trade: blackwater construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by genecarp View Post
welcome to the site, there is no magic for removing insulation, as far as any type being a problem for a person with asthma, during the installation any type would be a problem, after insall is complete, if done properly, there should be no airborne contaminents.
I hate to tell you this, but I happen to be one of those people that it should not bother. Would you care to see my 6 er visits? What happens is the exposure takes several hours. Usually while I am sleeping & I wake up at 2am and cannot breathe. It is very scary. At this time I am trying remove all the insulation in the attic. I have cleaned over the master br.things have improved since I took off the side of the house and installed this huge fan. I am looking for a vacuum but have had no luck. I tried to modify a shop vac. but that did not work. The house is old(inhereted from my grandmother) the insulation has been wet in past & is clumped together. This will take me months to accomplish. I located a company close to huntsville al, that has the vacuum equipment but can't find their number/ If anyone in north alabama does this I could surely use their help. We build boat docks so this type remodeling is very new to us. Any advice would be useful thanks JoJo123

Last edited by jojo123; 06-26-2009 at 05:36 AM. Reason: name
Old 07-17-2009, 08:43 AM   #8

Trade: blackwater construction

get one of those leaf blowers that will vacuum and mulch. i got mine at home depot. take one of those long dry vent, the tin foil covered ones and run it out side the house instead of trying to use the bag that comes with it. It will take you several days but it beats $3000 for one of the insulation remover vac. Mine cost about $70. Good luck. I had 6 ER visits before I discovered this. Aslo try to wear a mask and purchase a good fan to ventalate the area well.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
JumboJack for president!

Trade: Hilti walking billboard
Rewards Points: 500

spray foam the attic
Old 11-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #10

Trade: insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by missgrit22 View Post
hi, just found this site and i am greatful because i frequently run into situations where i could use advice. I have been insulating for myself for a few years from now, but today i had a first. I was asked if i could remove some old cellulose that was supposed to have gotten wet. Do yall know of the easiest way to do this, (short of buyin one of those vaccuums)? It is a large house, about 2000 square foot. They also want the sellulose to be replaced with blown fiberglass @ r-38. All of this was recommended by the power company. I know that r-38 is recommende for our area (alabama). There is a young girl with asthma and the only reason that they want to install fiberglass is because they were told that the cellulose would bother her asthma. Is this true? I thought that is all settles and wouldn't be a bother on the ground floor in a few days, and if it were, it seems as if the fiberglass would be worse? . Thanks in advance!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 PM   #11

Trade: insulation

We have an insulation vacuum please call us.2563378441.thumbsup: