Pole Barn Insulation Questions

Old 10-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #1

Trade: General contractor

Pole Barn Insulation Questions

Hey everyone I'm looking for some tips on how to insulate my new shop. I have an idea but not sure if it's appropriate,so all feedback is welcomed.
I just built a 1000 square ft pole barn I am framing inside with 26 to match poles 2 ft centers. My plan was to then use bat insulation probably r 21..iny question is on the way they built the pole barns is they have 24s laying flat on exterior to attach siding.if I frame and insulate as I mentioned it will leave a 1 1/2" air gap behind the insulation and the metal siding. Is this ok? Will it create moisture behind the walls? Please let me know what you guys think. Ps I have a budget so I'm looking for proper and cost effective solutions..thank you, chris

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #2

Re: Pole Barn Insulation Questions

Hey everyone I'm looking for some tips on how to insulate my new shop. I have an idea but not sure if it's appropriate,so all feedback is welcomed.
I just built a 1000 square ft pole barn I am framing inside with 26 to match poles 2 ft centers. My plan was to then use bat insulation probably r 21..my question is on the way they built the pole barns is they have 24s laying flat on exterior to attach siding.if I frame and insulate as I mentioned it will leave a 1 1/2" air gap behind the insulation and the metal siding. Is this ok? Will it create moisture behind the walls? Please let me know what you guys think. Ps I have a budget so I'm looking for proper and cost effective solutions..thank you, chris

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 244

What did your contractor recommend?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bull Trout For This Useful Post:
Unger.const (10-30-2017)

Old 10-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #4

I am the one doing the work I just never insulated before having a air gap in between. I'm looking for suggestions..pioneer pole buildings said I should spray insulate it but I'm looking to finish interior of shop and that stuff is ugly lol
Old 10-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: remodeling-cabinet maker
Rewards Points: 689

i think you will have condensate on the metal. So i would leave the 1/1/2" gap. That way it can condensate like it is going to any way but it wont touch the insulation and it will run out the bottom of the metal.That is the way a mobile home is built. They condensate through the walls and onto the backside of the metal and run out the bottom.

nicko
Old 10-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #6

Thank you for your input. Do you think it would be wise to run some thick plastic first then insulate so the insulation doesn't become wet ? Thanks, chris
Old 10-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
Always Learning

Trade: Builder/Remodeler
Rewards Points: 484

Cut 1-1/2" Dow to go between the exterior purlins and then spray foam over that. Gets you great air sealing and r-value and then the metal can still be removed later if ever needed.

Last edited by overanalyze; 10-29-2017 at 01:20 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to overanalyze For This Useful Post:
Philament (10-30-2017), Randy Bush (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 02:14 PM   #8
workit!

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 24

Only so much you can do on a budget. Go for it
Old 10-29-2017, 02:31 PM   #9
Always Learning

Why 2 topics asking the same thing??...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2017, 04:18 PM   #10
Pro

Trade: Exterior Remodeling
Rewards Points: 470

On a finished building I still question whether there is any cost saving of a pole building over a regular framed one.

I do agree with Over that the 1 1/2 foam board would be the way to go . Also spray foaming really stiffens up the building too. Neighbor of mine sprayed his sidewall, sure made a very easy to heat building.

Another thing to consider is putting roof metal in the ceiling, finishes it off really nice. A lot of them here are done that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Randy Bush For This Useful Post:
overanalyze (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 05:18 PM   #11
Always Learning

We did a black ceiling with galv walls for this one. It was an old horse barn we converted to a toy barn/art studio for our client.
onmywayup (Yesterday), r a s (10-29-2017), rblakes1 (10-29-2017), Tom Struble (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 08:33 PM   #12
Eater of sins.

Trade: Designer/Drafter Extraordinaire
Rewards Points: 962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgaliano91 View Post
I just built a 1000 square ft pole barn I am framing inside with 26 to match poles 2 ft centers. My plan was to then use bat insulation probably r 21..iny question is on the way they built the pole barns is they have 24s laying flat on exterior to attach siding.if I frame and insulate as I mentioned it will leave a 1 1/2" air gap behind the insulation and the metal siding. Is this ok? Will it create moisture behind the walls? Please let me know what you guys think. Ps I have a budget so I'm looking for proper and cost-effective solutions..thank you, chris
You say, your poles are on 2' centers?

WTF?

Is that a real thing?

Andy.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:30 PM   #13
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 3,862

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post

WTF?

Is that a real thing?

Andy.
I think the poles are 6x6 so he's framing 2x6 to match them.

My input here is that fiberglass unless detailed just right can lead to problems. Definitely don't want plastic on the cold side of the insulation, then the condensation will happen right there, but on the insulation side of the plastic.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:35 PM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScipioAfricanus View Post

WTF?

Is that a real thing?

Andy.
Andy the way I read it is he is going fill in between the post with 2x6's 2' on center. Which when laid out this way really throws your layout off for sheeting or sheetrock, especially if the post are on 10' which a lot are, 8' spacing would not be so bad.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:50 PM   #15

Yes my poles are 8 foot centers. I will add 26 due to poles being 5 1/2 " so finished wall is straight and im studing it 2 ft centers. Just looking how to insulate it with walls framed now.thanks everyone
Old 10-29-2017, 11:18 PM   #16
PCI

Trade: contractor
Rewards Points: 848

Hey, Mr mechanic, I want an oil Change with full synthetic and a whole car look over. BUT, I'm on a "budget" (aka I'm a tight wad and I want cut rate please). I really want someone that is "reasonable ".

Look, you either want the job done right, or you don't care about right and want it done cheap!

F. Your "budget".
The Following User Says Thank You to PCI For This Useful Post:
ScipioAfricanus (10-30-2017)
Old 10-30-2017, 06:32 AM   #17

Haha great response. Yea I'm on a budget meaning I can't spent 10s of thousands of dollars..im looking for tips from experience here. The garage is framed looking I made my suggestions on how I would insulate looking for feedback and ideas.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:22 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisgaliano91 View Post
Haha great response. Yea I'm on a budget meaning I can't spent 10s of thousands of dollars..im looking for tips from experience here. The garage is framed looking I made my suggestions on how I would insulate looking for feedback and ideas.
There are times in life when all you can do is buy a chevy instead of a cadi, both still get the same job done. The best is just not in the cards sometimes.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:50 AM   #19
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 3,862

Instead of starting a new topic I'll tag onto this one. I making an offer on a property with a pole barn, already built. I would stick frame a shop if I was building from the ground up.

I'm not on so much of a budget. I want to condition the space and not cause condensation issues. Of all the types of projects I've done, pole buildings are not included. They are unfamiliar to me and look like funny buildings with no apparent lateral design and 1/4 the right amount of trusses

I like the idea of ridgid plus spray foam. Maybe instead of cutting between the girts, just lay over. I could also just spray foam the seams. One $700 600 board foot foam kit might do it. 2" Polyisocyanurate (yeah I spelled that without looking it up!) is about $1 a square foot. R13 might be enough, I'll be heating it 20 degrees delta T a few months a year, with an efficient heat pump.

What about the ceiling?
Old 02-04-2018, 12:11 PM   #20
Sean

Trade: Principal / Owner
Rewards Points: 40

Better just getting a professional sprayer in there to spray closed cell instead of going with froth packs - it actually comes out cheaper with better results & heh they can spray the ceiling in one shot. As for how much depends some on climate zone but minimum 2" including girts, 2x's encapsulated....

Advertisement

Golden view (02-04-2018)