1st Floor Ceiling

Old 10-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Plumber / Carpenter

Trade: Virginia Building and plumbing contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via Yahoo to Bill

1st Floor Ceiling

I have a 2 story house. We are downsizing it and do not want to use the 2nd floor as living space because we dont need it for one, for 2 it will reduce my tax if the 2nd floor is storage. I do not want to tear it off either as if I sell it, the new owners will have the option of having the additional space if they want it. We tore out everything on the first floor and re insulated the floors and walls, installed new sheet rock. Now that I have decided not to use the upstairs I want to be sure of the insulation. It is my understanding that the ceiling needs to be R38 when the area above it is not going to be conditioned. My ceiling joists are 8-1/4" now (Its full cut lumber, the house is about 100 years old) I looked around and figured R38 is 12" thick. So, I need to add at least 3-1/2" more insulation. Now I thought of 2 ways, one is to install 2x4 90 degrees to the existing joists and fill it in with the green blown in insulation, or the batt insulation. Then I can lay my plywood down and nail it. So, would the existing 8-1/4 insulation be fine, or should I add 3-1/2 more? And which insulation to use, the green blown in on top of fiberglass, batt over batt? Or pull the batt up and install blown in first and top off with fiberglass batt?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-14-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
Wood Butcher

Trade: Remodels/Custom Cabinets/Granite Countertops
Rewards Points: 500

Re: 1st Floor Ceiling

Blown in doesn't offer the same value for its thickness as batts.
So you would probably need more than 3 inches of blown in to make-up the same r-value.

The Following User Says Thank You to bhock For This Useful Post:
Bill (10-14-2010)
Old 10-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
wannabe

Trade: carpentry

Can you explain the situation a little more......Is there living space upstairs that you're closing off?

I'm guessing here, but maybe just lay r-19 bats down over the existing floor and choose a room or two to build a temporary platform for storage......I'm curious.....
Old 10-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
Plumber / Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYcarpenter View Post
Can you explain the situation a little more......Is there living space upstairs that you're closing off?

I'm guessing here, but maybe just lay r-19 bats down over the existing floor and choose a room or two to build a temporary platform for storage......I'm curious.....
2nd line. I am not using the 2nd floor as a living space any more
Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
2nd line. I am not using the 2nd floor as a living space any more
What is up there.....is it open floor joists........is it finished?
Old 10-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #6
Plumber / Carpenter

Is not finished at all, we gutted everything, floors, walls, ceiling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
WNYcarpenter (10-14-2010)
Old 10-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #7
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,100

What?

First, IMO R38 is overkill for VA, but whatever.

Standard insulation in the first-floor ceiling plus attic/roof insulation won't add up to R38?

I'm not even going to try to guess why you would gut the upstairs, using it or not.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:56 PM   #8
wannabe

I would insulate the the 8 1/4" with the appropriate bats, then deck the 2nd floor with 3/4" like normal. Then lay r-19 bats over the floor. Or, just deck what you need for storage if there's a vapor issue with decking the entire floor.

If you think you may sell, IMO you want the availability as simple as possible. I wouldn't build up the floor, unless it was temporary.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Full Service Renovations

Trade: Residential Renovations

Am I unsterstanding you right...... You gutted your second floor down to the joists and studs to save a few bucks on your property taxes.

Is it just me or this the strangest stuff you have heard!!!! Sorry man this is just some wierd sh*t is all!!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #10
Plumber / Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
What?

First, IMO R38 is overkill for VA, but whatever.

Standard insulation in the first-floor ceiling plus attic/roof insulation won't add up to R38?

I'm not even going to try to guess why you would gut the upstairs, using it or not.
The reason fo gutting it was because there was 4 bedrooms up there, we were going to make it into 1 master suite. 26' x 26'. Also the house was balloon framed, the studs vary from 4" to 4-3/4" in depth, the walls were way out of plumb, they were wavy due to the inconstancy of the stud thickness, so we planed on snapping chalk lines and using 2x3 to build a new wall inside of the old one. But then as I said, we decided not to go that rout. We want to keep everything on one floor. My wifes dog is 7 years old and we figured its going to get rough on her to get up and down. Also its less area to heat and cool
Old 10-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #11
Plumber / Carpenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
Am I unsterstanding you right...... You gutted your second floor down to the joists and studs to save a few bucks on your property taxes.

Is it just me or this the strangest stuff you have heard!!!! Sorry man this is just some wierd sh*t is all!!
My house is 26x26 2 story with a 26 x 26 single story added on the back. I had 16 people living here at that time. Now its just me and my wife, so why do I need to use that space for?
Old 10-15-2010, 06:43 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Civil Construction, Excavation, Concrete + Forming

I'm getting worried. I see the guns and wonder where the 16 people went.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Insulation and Weatherization
Rewards Points: 150

i dunno why everybody is so interested in what your doing with your own home...lol...but here is the best solution for your question that i could come up with...

if you have all the floors gutted, i would say use two part foam insulation to airseal the entire attic plane...that make a big difference in the effectiveness of your insulation...then its up to you...if you intend to leave everything unfloored, use r-30 fiberglass which should achieve you an r-37, with all penetrations, seams, and wall tops airsealed...very effecient...or, you could put plywood down and denspack between the foam and the plywood...this will get you your best insulation value, plus be a great sound reducer if you ever did decide to use the second floor again, or as a resale value....

The Following User Says Thank You to ASInsulation For This Useful Post:
Bill (10-16-2010)