Zinser Peel Stop Primer - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Zinser Peel Stop Primer

Old 09-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 93

Zinser Peel Stop Primer

Has anyone used this primer? I am painting a ninety year old house with the old style 3 inch wood siding. They want to keep the home as original as possible, so new siding is not an option. Their are many spots with loose & peeling paint that have to be scraped. Will the Peel Stop Primer cut down on the amount of scraping that has to be down and will it prevent the paint from peeling again in 4 or 5 years?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things!!!

Trade: Paint and Floor Covering Retailer
Rewards Points: 1,135

Re: Zinser Peel Stop Primer

You still need to remove anything that is loose or peeling. Peel Stop will help glue down what is left to prevent it from continuing to peel. It won't help with the parts that are already loose.

Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling / Carpentry
Rewards Points: 1,992

I was going to mention XIM Peel Bond - but's here's a start.
http://www.contractortalk.com/f8/pee...-primer-28725/

It's quite a bit more expensive and get it tinted as it is clear.

I will say I used Peel Bond on a job last year and it didn't fill and level like the lit or YouTube promo's say imo --- maybe others can add their experience ?

Both Peel Bond and Peel Stop are searchable in CT and Paint Talk.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Craftsman
Rewards Points: 718

I just used Peel Stop on my own 110 yr old farmhouse.

I had an unemployed, recently separated friend do the scraping for me, and his work was less than stellar. He also applied the first coat of Peel Stop.
I thought it looked like chit, so I took my Rotex in rotary mode with some 60grit and quickly knocked down any curling/still peeling paint. Then I applied like 4 more super thick coats of Peel Stop. It made a huge difference. Now that side(southwest) doesn't look so out of line with the rest.

My observations on it are:

Tint it unless you will be going with a coat of primer over it.

Apply multiple thick coats to try and mitigate any uneven surface. It won't hide the "age" but it will diminish it. I probably should have sprayed it through the airless, seems like it would have allowed for a better hide/build up. I was able to massage the gaps by working the bristles in the appropriate direction though.

Also, I don't even know if it was a smart idea, but I coated everything with Zinnser Cover Stain oil-based primer on top of the Peel Stop.

All in all, I really liked the way it performed. I guess the real test is how it holds up over time. Check back in 20 years, I'll let you know.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Hair Splitter

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 3,904

There really is no need for more than two coats of peel stop.

Everything needs to be scraped and sanded before applying. Its not meant to glue down peeled paint, but keep it from doing so in the future. Meaning curled and cupped paint will not lay down with just applying peel stop.
Originally Posted by CarpenterSFO View Post
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
There really is no need for more than two coats of peel stop.
No "need" for it per say.

Except that every successive coat of Peel Stop further hid the previously peeling and scraped surface below, evened out the overall look of it, and left me feeling much better about the future of mankind in general.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeGreen View Post
No "need" for it per say.

Except that every successive coat of Peel Stop further hid the previously peeling and scraped surface below, evened out the overall look of it, and left me feeling much better about the future of mankind in general.
Okay I'll just say it. 4 coats of Peel Stop is not the answer, ever. It is not a leveling or fill product. The manufacturer recommends one coat on most surfaces and two coats on absorbent/porous surfaces as needed.

If you have uneven surfaces, use the proper filler, period.

You also recommended to tint it. The manufactures instructions state:

Tinting Do not tint this product

Sorry, but bad advice all around. I have used the product many times and one coat has always done it's job. Occasionally I have had to spot a second coat in problem areas, but never second coated an entire project.

Best method is to:

1) Scrape
2) Sand
3) Wash/Wipe Down
4) Fill uneven areas
5) Sand
6) Wash/Wipe Down
7) Apply one coat of Peel stop
8) Sand if necessary
9) Wash/Wipe Down
10) Prime
11) Paint

Smooth Surface every time.
You ask for your money frequently, and you collect it quickly, else you stop working immediately.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:31 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTSERVICES View Post
Okay I'll just say it. 4 coats of Peel Stop is not the answer, ever. It is not a leveling or fill product. The manufacturer recommends one coat on most surfaces and two coats on absorbent/porous surfaces as needed.

If you have uneven surfaces, use the proper filler, period.

You also recommended to tint it. The manufactures instructions state:

Tinting Do not tint this product

Sorry, but bad advice all around. I have used the product many times and one coat has always done it's job. Occasionally I have had to spot a second coat in problem areas, but never second coated an entire project.

Best method is to:

1) Scrape
2) Sand
3) Wash/Wipe Down
4) Fill uneven areas
5) Sand
6) Wash/Wipe Down
7) Apply one coat of Peel stop
8) Sand if necessary
9) Wash/Wipe Down
10) Prime
11) Paint

Smooth Surface every time.

Hmmmmm???

My can says a few things:

1- TINTING: Can be tinted with up to 1 oz. of universal colorant per gallon to improve topcoat hide.

2- PEEL STOP TRIPLE THICK is 3x thicker than regular primers so it fills and seals cracked, weathered, and peeling areas, creating a smoother, more uniform surface for finishing.

3-APPLICATION:.....or follow with several THICK coats to bridge and fill cracked and uneven surfaces.

4-BRUSHING (or spraying, basically same): Apply HEAVILY and work into peeling and cracked areas. Apply additional thick coats as necessary.

Weren't you the guy who stated in a different thread that only an idiot would spray Peel Stop? They have a section on that too. Doesn't mention idiots, mentions spraying recommendations though.

Beyond those tiny tidbits of my terrible advice (personal observations), it was just the worst side of the house that received that "hack" treatment.

My question to you is........why bother with Peel Stop after you have completed an entire surface restoration of the house? Billable hours? Well played sir.........well played! You shame me with your masterful craftsmanshipiosity!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #9
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeGreen View Post
Hmmmmm???

My can says a few things:

1- TINTING: Can be tinted with up to 1 oz. of universal colorant per gallon to improve topcoat hide.

Tinting – Do not tint this product.

2- PEEL STOP TRIPLE THICK is 3x thicker than regular primers so it fills and seals cracked, weathered, and peeling areas, creating a smoother, more uniform surface for finishing.

3-APPLICATION:.....or follow with several THICK coats to bridge and fill cracked and uneven surfaces.

Application Methods – Shake or stir before using. Do not thin.
Apply with brush and/or roller or airless sprayer. Back brush or
roll to work product into cracks and edges of old paint. When
properly applied, PEEL STOP should dry to a slight sheen. Apply
a second coat if dull spots appear. For best brushing
performance use quality synthetic bristle brushes. Natural bristle
brushes are not recommended for use with this product. In most
cases only one coat is necessary to prime most surfaces.
If
excessive absorption occurs over very porous substrates a
second coat may be necessary. Spot priming is recommended
only under high-hiding topcoat paints. For best results prime
entire surface before painting. Keep container closed when not
in use.
• Brush, Roller or Pad – Use synthetic (nylon, polyester or
blend)
• Airless Sprayer – Use .015” – .017” tip @ 2000–2500 PSI
• Conventional Sprayer – Spray at 50 – 60 PSI

Tinting – Do not tint this product.

4-BRUSHING (or spraying, basically same): Apply HEAVILY and work into peeling and cracked areas. Apply additional thick coats as necessary.

Weren't you the guy who stated in a different thread that only an idiot would spray Peel Stop? They have a section on that too. Doesn't mention idiots, mentions spraying recommendations though.

If taken our of context I could be, but please provide the link.

Beyond those tiny tidbits of my terrible advice (personal observations), it was just the worst side of the house that received that "hack" treatment.

My question to you is........why bother with Peel Stop after you have completed an entire surface restoration of the house? Billable hours? Well played sir.........well played! You shame me with your masterful craftsmanshipiosity!
It's about doing it right. If it cost what it costs, it is what it is. It's not about hours or money, but doing it right. Peel stop is truly meant as a bonder. Does is do some fill and evening, yes, but only because of it's thickness. Adding 4 layers is amateur hour.

http://www.rustoleum.com/~/media/Dig...P_MPI_TDB.ashx

Last edited by TNTSERVICES; 09-23-2013 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
Hair Splitter

I now know the misunderstanding. You are not taking about Peel Stop, but Peel Stop Triple Thick. Two different products. So we are actually both correct in the product spec.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Painting & repairs
Rewards Points: 508

On the 3x thick I found if you thin the first coat and then apply the second coat straight it works really well.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
Hair Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolNut View Post
On the 3x thick I found if you thin the first coat and then apply the second coat straight it works really well.
Yeah, the instruction say by 10% water.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to TNTSERVICES For This Useful Post:
ToolNut (09-30-2013)