What Paint For Baseboard Registers?

Old 02-03-2004, 08:51 PM   #1

What Paint For Baseboard Registers?

Not sure I belong in the Contractor's Chatroom being just a lowly DIYer but do I really need to use high heat paint for hot water baseboard heaters? The spray paint I've found is also suitable for painting wood stoves which seems a little extreme to me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Bryan

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-19-2005, 06:27 PM   #2
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Humble Abode

Re: What Paint For Baseboard Registers?

As far as I know your standard Oil based paint is rated up to about 350 degrees. Hi-Heat paints are only needed for (like you said) painting a woodburning stove and the like. A normal Oil based metal primer and oil paint should work for the amount of heat kicked out by a baseboard register.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Re: What Paint For Baseboard Registers?

IF the registers are just hot water base any latex paint will be fine. IF they are electric- you need hiigh heat paint. We painted all electric bases in a house at the homeowners request, and the next year I got a call that all of the paint was peeling. You asked a good question- I have been around awhile, and never knew there was a difference in heaters. I have painted all of my hot water base with the wall color which is a latex matte finish and no problem-