Trouble With A New Construction Painting Estimate

Old 11-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #1

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 10

Trouble With A New Construction Painting Estimate

Does $11,600 for a new construction house, approximately 3800 sq ft with basic trim seem reasonable to you? (10 rms)
(With materials included)

My father who is also a painter told me you should charge 4% of the value of the house to paint it. That seems REALLY high to me.
He said he recently painted a 7-8 bedroom interior house for $100,000! It amazes me he makes those kinds of bids and gets the work.

I really need work for the winter... but don't want to go too low either.
What do you guys think?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 PM   #2
Professional Instigator

Trade: Design Build Remodeling Contractor DC MD
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Trouble With A New Construction Painting Estimate

Spot on, dead accurate. Have no fear those numbers are good

Old 11-25-2008, 07:46 PM   #3
It's all about the Avatar

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterChic View Post
Does $11,600 for a new construction house, approximately 3800 sq ft with basic trim seem reasonable to you? (10 rms)

My father who is also a painter told me you should charge 4% of the value of the house to paint it. That seems REALLY high to me.
He said he recently painted a 7-8 bedroom interior house for $100,000! It amazes me he makes those kinds of bids and gets the work.

What do you guys think?
As a point of interest what would you charge for a repaint of a empty existing home based on the exact criteria.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
nick@nite

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:

What do you guys think?
Basic trim? How many colors, travel involved, GC pay his bills.

Is the house going to be empty of other trades during painting, nothing like a cluster f........k to slow down production.....

Would I do it for that price , depends on a few factors, get your feet wet and track your production for next ones. nothing new being built in my neighboorhood.....good luck
Old 11-25-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

This is Interior only, with a few metal doors to paint and vinyl windows right? If so then....
I would do it, if i could get in and out and there was not any real hassles like the cluster f...
Old 11-26-2008, 08:52 AM   #6
Pro

Rewards Points: 250

4% of a house's total worth? I am working on a $2.8 mil. house now....that would be $112k to paint. I think that wisdom will allow you a lot of time to catch up on mid-day tv. We are painting that house for $27,500. I would think about your estimates and time it takes, not on the value of the house.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: commercial building restoration

I have a builder friend that pays $1.75 per floor square foot and supplies the material (back in 2005 dont know the price now)

it included: full prime, paint walls, ceilings & closets. stain and polly trim.

he also expected high quality, not like most new construction I see where the painter went in at $0.59 per wall sf and I still don't know what those low ballers are charging for trim.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:16 PM   #8
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAV
...builder
...in 2005
Each totally different animals my friend

PC: No way to tell from here
Real time actualities get in the way
Have to eyeball it (or way more info) and have your production #s and hourly costs available
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 11-27-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
Pro

Rewards Points: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by premierpainter View Post
4% of a house's total worth? I am working on a $2.8 mil. house now....that would be $112k to paint. I think that wisdom will allow you a lot of time to catch up on mid-day tv. We are painting that house for $27,500. I would think about your estimates and time it takes, not on the value of the house.
Actually your quote sounds low to me, if it's a three million dollar home I would think the painting would be at least 50 grand.

Here's the problem with new construction from my point of view, you bid the job for 27,500 and by the time you and your crew walk out, you'll be thinking you should've bid it at 50 grand. That happens to me almost every time, but the other side of that coin is sitting at home and not making a penny. What absolutely kills a painter in new work, especially high end new work, is the damn prep time. When you go through ten to fifteen boxes of caulk, you know it's ridiculous.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #10
A bit abrasive.

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorman Painting View Post
Actually your quote sounds low to me, if it's a three million dollar home I would think the painting would be at least 50 grand.

Here's the problem with new construction from my point of view, you bid the job for 27,500 and by the time you and your crew walk out, you'll be thinking you should've bid it at 50 grand. That happens to me almost every time, but the other side of that coin is sitting at home and not making a penny. What absolutely kills a painter in new work, especially high end new work, is the damn prep time. When you go through ten to fifteen boxes of caulk, you know it's ridiculous.
Very wise words indeed!!!

I am on a huge job at the moment and every day I kick myself for not charging more, however I am working while droves of painters are "browsing" the Sherwin Williams waiting to ask if I am hiring.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
Dmax Consulting

Trade: Paint Contractor
Rewards Points: 75

$11k sounds a little low. It depends on the type of house thats being painted. If you are doing a basic "starter" home with builder grade products and a common color, your price is probably pretty good. If you are doing a more upscale home with faux finishes, top quality paints, and a lot of color schemes, you should probably be charging $25-$30. Remember that there are a lot of painters out of work that are offering super low prices just to keep their crews busy.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #12
blackstonepainting.com

Hi... I don't know where you are, but that price actually seems LOW...

Try $4/ sq/ft @ 3800 = $15200

For higher end including doors and trim try $5
Old 12-01-2008, 07:26 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: commercial building restoration

Slickshift, I don't understand, what is different between a builder and new construction?

if you are painting a new construction house aren't you usually working for the builder. i don't know many people that hire their own contractors on new construction residential work.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:20 PM   #14

Trade: GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstone View Post
Hi... I don't know where you are, but that price actually seems LOW...

Try $4/ sq/ft @ 3800 = $15200

For higher end including doors and trim try $5
Man, you live in Whistler. This isn't far from North / West Van / Lions and Horseshoe bay. MAYBE if you`re "Lucky" someone would pay that up there... but it's highly doubtful.

For 15200 on a 3800 SQ House, you better be painting everything....
Old 12-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #15
blackstonepainting.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowWeRoll View Post
Man, you live in Whistler. This isn't far from North / West Van / Lions and Horseshoe bay. MAYBE if you`re "Lucky" someone would pay that up there... but it's highly doubtful.

For 15200 on a 3800 SQ House, you better be painting everything....
...everything

Last edited by blackstone; 12-02-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #16
Custom Home Builder

Trade: Residential Custom Builder

I am curious about the responses for the bid being low, high, or just right. How many total man hours will the 3,800sf job take? And what would be the ballpark cost of materials? I assume this job, being new construction, would be sprayed for the most part? Or rolled? This paint business is interesting, and confusing at the same time with prices being all over the board! I know economies are different within the USA, but this is a big price spread for painting the same new house.

Your dad quoting 4% of the value of the home isn't typical. If it takes him 2 months to paint the house, does his price to paint actually decrease due to decreasing values in many areas?
Old 12-08-2008, 10:50 AM   #17
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorman Painting View Post

Yep. Every day we are there I think, man I should have charged more. The price tag for the house is high. It is in an area that is very expensive to live. Pick up the house and move it 5 miles and the price would be a little more than half. $50k would not fly...but I wish.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #18

Trade: painting
Rewards Points: 25

I paint mainly new construction high end homes. I don't know how anyone can price by the sf. One room can have 5 piece crown, 20 windows but only be 500sf while another room 500sf has no crown and 3 windows. I don't get it. I have been in business for over 20 years and we currently paint about 40 to 50 homes a year. I have created an estimate sheet that works for me that lists all items in a home from windows, doors, door casings, crown, walls etc. you get the point. I just count everything up either in person or off a blueprint. I have a time frame for each item in example: a window an hour and a quarter x 5 windows = 6.25hrs. Its done for each category and all items are then added getting your total hrs.. I then multiply this figure by an hourly rate, figure in operational costs and materials and thats that.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #19
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:

What do you guys think?
If you are really a Painter chic, I need to see some photos of you first before I can give you my professional opinion.

4% of the value doesn't sound like a good way to bid, but if it works for him and he gets $100,000 to paint a house, ask him.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: painting

I'm with biggers an wayne on this. How long is it going to take. If they really want a sqft # then figure it the right way then divide it back.