Stucco Home ??

Old 05-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #1

Trade: Painting / Decorative Concrete
Rewards Points: 75

Stucco Home ??

Working on a home that should take about 12 gallons, looks like it's going to take 18 gallons We never worked with this style of stucco. Not sure if it's dryvit or what. Home is about 2 years old. I'm thinking that it may be the style that has the color added and applied with a sprayer. The texture is very porous and feels like #80 sand paper. The walls are just sucking the paint, no slide what so ever. Does anyone know what this is. Our application is brush/roll. No spraying, homes are to close, and it's 15+ plus with the winds down here. If we get another one like this, the price will need to be doubled...

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,142

Re: Stucco Home ??

Hard or Synthetic stucco?

I just did a partial repaint on synthetic, it does take alot of paint.

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Systems Fanatic

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 250

I've looked at 40+ stucco homes in the last 6 months. I'm noticing alkali burn on nearly everyone. The builders aren't allowing the stucco to age enough and the painters are using the right products.

The paint is lifting in a lot of places, and it is discolored everywhere. I don't know if you have a similar issue.

What product are you using? I suspect a regular latex given the material quantity you stated. We use a lot of elastomeric on stucco. It takes a lot of material, but we don't have absorption issues or flashing.

Brian Phillips

Old 05-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #4

Brian... We use elastomeric as well, and 12 gallons should have been enough + 3 gallons for the trim. Home is in good shape, like i said it's under 2 yrs... It's also very hard to cut in your lines around the windows, etc... normally where i would cut in i need to tape window frames, etc... all off to get straight lines. It's a real pain in the a$$.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Doing my own home I notice just a quickie spray job. No primer sealer and just a quick coat of cheap paint. Gable ends are wood.

So far, 5 gal of the primer/sealer have finished off the stucco with some left over. 4 gal. of the penetrating sealer were required for the gable ends, soffits and trim. I double coated some new wood.

Only 2 topcoats to go! If all holds true, I should be in for 27 gal.

Albert Einstein
Old 05-09-2007, 10:06 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Pain
Rewards Points: 160

I just completed a exterior with a similar texture,looked like sprayed on texture about 16-24 grit.took 3 gallons more than i expected and cut in was a PITA taking to long so i used 2" tape on concrete floors and used a weenie/pee roller to do most of the cut in also used brush.brush also to push/dab in tight areas,same method of application on windows except no tape. used a wet rag to wipe off excess wet paint seemed quicker then masking but both ways worked fine.allmost impossible to drag the brush to be productive and get a good clean line.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #7

It is sprayed stucco. All trim is styrofoam. PITA to cut in, crap just sucks the paint. Anyway thanks to all !
Old 05-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #8
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Mine is skip-troweled, cut in is no walk in the park. Have to hit it from both directions.

Advertisement

Albert Einstein