Strategies To Amp Winter Painting

Old 11-07-2017, 07:10 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finish Work
Rewards Points: 342

Strategies To Amp Winter Painting

Thought I would post this to help stir ideas for us painters who are looking to increase interior painting in the coming months. As the surge in new requests tends to wait til mainly after the holidays, picking up in march... Normally I tend to relax but not this year, the added work would be churned out.

What, if anything, could bring in the paint jobs ?

Anyone ever try a black Friday painting event? (no joke)

I've never sent out early Christmas cards, or any Christmas cards to customers. Maybe they should be for goodwill anyway.

So what could be turned to for someone focusing on referrals from the get go?

In the past I've had this ability, of when a project is needed (anytime of year) to simply ask for it, almost in prayer. And within days one seems to arrive, near the project amount that was needed at the time. An alignment made.

Ideas? - Can we put a new spin on this topic?

Last edited by artinall; 11-07-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2017, 10:02 AM   #2
Pro

Re: Strategies To Amp Winter Painting

Alright, I'll kick it with a DP.
(sticking to referrals and not subbing)

Key players; for example high-end door dealers that install (sliding exterior doors, etc) that may be done until the weather gets nasty. And of course carpenters. Why not forge these bonds for the rest of the yr.

I've done work for a small outfit that would consistently recommend me, unfortunately that was before our century. There was time and effort involved with hardware, beyond normal, but there could also be connected work with the customers.

Are you up to giving a sample to owner operators... ?

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,030

I make a point that when i am busy with summer painting work i am lining up winter work. Customers always say they have a room or two etc etc they need done, i always say we are glad to do it, price it and ask them to wait. Customers i find are understanding and willing to wait. It is easy to put the estimating off because you are busy, but try not to.
Frankly few people want you in their homes between Thanksgiving and Christmas, good time to schedule the small one or two day jobs that accumulate through the year, as you can get in and out with minimal disruption to the customer.
The week of Thanksgiving we usually have a small commercial job lined up, no one wants you in their home.
Just my observations.

What brings in the jobs you ask? when it gets slow and work dries up i find it tough to suddenly generate work, so i try to prevent it getting slow by lining the work up one season ahead as already mentioned.
This year I started advertising at our local High School football games.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
artinall (11-09-2017), Gumshoe (11-10-2017)

Old 11-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio painter View Post
... This year I started advertising at our local High School football games.
Is there a discount/special promo?
Old 11-09-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
Pro

No discount, I paid the regular rate to have my business name scroll across the scoreboard. The place is packed for home games and I have thought for years i was missing a good audience.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:14 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
No discount, I paid the regular rate to have my business name scroll across the scoreboard. The place is packed for home games and I have thought for years i was missing a good audience.
I meant discount for customers, an incentive to act now.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:12 AM   #7
Pro

Sorry, no. I don't do discounts of any type. My costs are what they are, if I am going to work for less then I may as well stay home. It's tough enough when one or two jobs throughout the summer come in over a quoted amount.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:38 AM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Sorry, no. I don't do discounts of any type. My costs are what they are, if I am going to work for less then I may as well stay home. It's tough enough when one or two jobs throughout the summer come in over a quoted amount.

I'm not asking for a discount.
But more power to you.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:50 PM   #9

Trade: painting & flooring
Rewards Points: 120

I end up hitting my call list harder. Sometimes it works. If anything, it people don't have any winter work, they're atleast thinking about spring projects.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #10

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 14

Like Ohio Painter, I line up winter work starting in the summer months. And, drum roll please, I DO offer a discount of sorts. I tell them if they are willing to wait until my exterior work is completed, I will give them "Winter rates" to paint their interiors. It's not much of a discount but I play it up as a big savings. I mean, I would rather stay busy than sit at home. Most people are thrilled to get ANY type of discount so they are more than willing to wait.

Also, target big places, commercial interiors, churches, restaurants, etc. They almost always like having interior work done in the slower winter months especially after the holidays are over. I've had great success doing local churches. Once word gets around, you'll be doing a big church project every winter........
The Following User Says Thank You to Gumshoe For This Useful Post:
Ohio painter (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #11
Pro

I too have done several church projects over the years. I have found they want them done usually heading towards Easter with Easter as the deadline, or some sort of anniversary they will be recognising.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
Gumshoe (11-13-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 09:08 AM   #12
Pro

There are those customers that could need painting this time of year, and not so much by their own preference.

Why not hit up the local movers (or realtors, as usual) for new move-ins. So owners can get paint while the house is empty.

Maybe businesses that could also use a last month write off? (assuming maintenance ptg can be written off). How to align with these is another question...

Brainstorming here

Advertisement