Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

staining cedar pergola

5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  PressurePros 
#1 ·
hi, i,m relative new to the forum. its nice to see people who take the painting profession seriously. my current nightmere is a cedar pergola,new construction .husband wants low maintance , wife wants dark semi transparent. i am considering cabots oil semi with a sekkins top. south west florida is very hard on exteriors. i don't want to talk them into painting new cedar.any other suggestions or products would be greatly appreciated. thanks, billy

#2 ·
We were just talking about these things on another board. They are a real PITA.

As far as stain choice, something high quality from a paint store in semi trans (oil/alkyd do not use a water borne) is a safe bet. These are the most maintenance friendly types of tinted sealers/stains. If you want to make them both happy explain that a darkly pigmented product will provide the most UV protection. If you go with an oil maintenance will be a quick cleanup with some bleach and water and a new light coat every few years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.