Spraying Or Rolling - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Spraying Or Rolling

Old 07-02-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
New Guy

Trade: Painting contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Spraying Or Rolling

At what point do you decide when it is best to spray or roll interior paint. What gives the best results.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Spraying Or Rolling

lots of factors... need more info from you... new construction? all one color? is the floors in yet? carpet or hardwood? wall size? is there furniture in the rooms?

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2006, 06:09 PM   #3

Trade: Owner
Rewards Points: 75

Spray anytime possible, mainly on new construction or remodels where there is no floors or ceilings. If colors are involved unless they are dark colors spray primer, brush and roll the rest. We usually spray the prime and first finish. Then the carpenters, floor coverers, electricians and every other trade do there damage and then we brush and roll the final coat.

Old 07-28-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
Professional Painter

Trade: Owner/Operator
Rewards Points: 500

I pretty much stick to only spraying new construction or complete remodels. Usually when I walk into a house and its got a good and open floorplan with limited windows I'll always spray. I spray a full prime, spray finish the ceilings, spray finish the trim, then cut and roll 1-2 coats on the walls depending on the need.

PS- If there are a bunch of minor imperfections, I usually scratch the spraying and cut and roll everthing with a high build primer. Oil usually gives the best results on trim and doors, when sprayed, but thats somewhat personal experience.

Good luck
Old 01-19-2011, 08:20 PM   #5

Trade: General Contractor and Painter
Rewards Points: 25

spray when you want to save time and cover alot of sqft, and roll when you want to have a high quality job... but it all depends.