Spraying Finish Coat On Stained Trim - Painting & Finish Work - Contractor Talk

Spraying Finish Coat On Stained Trim

Old 04-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #1

Trade: painting contractor
Rewards Points: 10

Spraying Finish Coat On Stained Trim

Hi guys, would need a little info here on spraying finish clearcoat on trim.
I have a long experience with spray painting the trim. I have graco ultra 395. Usually I use latex (ocasionally oil) semi-gloss with 310 tip, primer where necessary and two coats of finish and get very nice results.

However I do not have any experience with spraying polyurethane/varnish/laquer clearcoat. I have a nice big basement with knotty alder doors for staining and the rest of trim for painting.

What kind of product do you use on stained doors? What tip, pressure?
When I tried polyurethane I had bad results. Either drips or uneven finish.
Maybe Hvlp sprayer? If yes what type of gun, company, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 08:42 PM   #2

Trade: residental contractor
Rewards Points: 75

Re: Spraying Finish Coat On Stained Trim

I own cap spray stage 4 turbine hvlp runs about 1,000 bucks but works great you can buy tip kits I can spray latex,oils, stains, polys no problem some thining required depending on product for latex thay make flowtrol oils I think its called flood or you could use water or thinner but flowtroll and flood are suposed to make product lay flatter and smoother never had runs with the hvlp you can turn it down and dial it in to spray a pencil with mabee qrt inch over spray but if doing alot of spraying may need a hopper or pot qaurt cup dosent last long

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Painting in Utah

Re: Spraying Finish Coat On Stained Trim

Wiping stain, sanding sealer, 2 coats lacquer, sanding and tacking between coats. Use a 440i. Make sure you get every bit of the door, the knobholes, etc or it voids the warranty.
Some pictures here

Last edited by RCPainting; 04-26-2010 at 09:55 PM.