No Difference Really 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Spray Vs Brush And Roll

Old 03-05-2018, 07:29 PM   #1

Trade: Residential Remodeler
Rewards Points: 58
Smile

Spray Vs Brush And Roll

We are a small general contractor based out of Washington DC. We typically build spec projects that we sell to end owners.

My painter has sent me two estimates - one for brush and roll, the other for spray.

Internally there is a discussion if the touchup process for spray can create problems down the road when we are approaching the end of warranty ie the touchups are more visible and we may have to end up repainting the wall.

Its all new drywall and trim, and everything is pretty much painted white.

Do the painters in here have a strong opinion one way or the other for what produces a better finished product? Does brush and roll make it substantially easier and less visible for touchup work?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2018, 07:36 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,770

Re: Spray Vs Brush And Roll

spray and back roll

Advertisement

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrankSmith For This Useful Post:
Sir Mixalot (03-06-2018), sparehair (03-09-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 4,146

Have them spray using this.

http://www.graco.com/us/en/products/...jetroller.html

Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbnwi For This Useful Post:
KAP (03-05-2018)

Old 03-05-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
edward trowelhands

Trade: Diplomat
Rewards Points: 4,618

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonycreekhomes View Post
Does brush and roll make it substantially easier and less visible for touchup work?

TIA
Generally yes. Possibly a better, longer lasting coat of paint too.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:42 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpenter-Renovations/Repairs
Rewards Points: 276

I'm not a pro painter, per say, but I have had a lot of my trim work painted, and seen a lot of painters at work.

I think trim looks better when sprayed. walls I don't think there is a difference.

A good painter seems to be able to work faster when spraying, in an on occupied space, just from my observations. Back rolling as needed.

Maybe spray primer and ceilings, spray trim, roll wall paint on.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonycreekhomes View Post
We are a small general contractor based out of Washington DC. We typically build spec projects that we sell to end owners.

My painter has sent me two estimates - one for brush and roll, the other for spray.

Do I have this right?

You demand estimates that entails painting contractors to hand you 3 different bids for 3 different ways of applying the paint.. Do I have that right? I just wanted to make sure before I flip you off big time. I don't want to be judgemental against you, but I already am.

You can and should kiss my ass if you're blessed enough to deal with high quality painting contractors. I don't deal with your types anyways. I don't have to.

Last edited by Caslon; 03-05-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:48 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 836

To the original poster. Any questions?

Last edited by Caslon; 03-05-2018 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:17 AM   #8
Pro

Trade: Contractor and Grunt
Rewards Points: 4,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Do I have this right?

You demand estimates that entails painting contractors to hand you 3 different bids for 3 different ways of applying the paint.. Do I have that right? I just wanted to make sure before I flip you off big time. I don't want to be judgemental against you, but I already am.

You can and should kiss my ass if you're blessed enough to deal with high quality painting contractors. I don't deal with your types anyways. I don't have to.
It sounded like he has one paint contractor that he uses regularly but this time the sub sent him two pricing options. Probably took his sub an extra five minutes to come up with the second price.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #9
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 4,628

I brush and roll walls since it saves me a lot of time from masking. I seldom use any tape. But I don't do a new place with no flooring. Trim always looks better sprayed and I'd do it that way if I could do it before it went up. The poll was either or so I couldn't vote, it depends.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #10

Trade: Residential Remodeler
Rewards Points: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
To the original poster. Any questions?
Um before you get way ahead of yourself on assumptions and look even more ridiculous, you could just ask rather than assume.

We have one contractor we work with for a long time. A new very seasoned construction manager advised we should consider brush and roll vs sprayed, as truthfully I haven't paid much attention on the method our painter uses, I've been generally fine with the finished product.

Our concern was to hear both sides - and the cost was approximately 40% more for a brush and roll. I'm trying to assess if over the next 60,000 sf of jobs that I hold right now if it makes sense to increase our painting budget by 40%.

Wouldn't you want to do the same research?

Don't just assume because you are a good trade contractor that I should kiss the ring for you to give me an estimate.

The other poster was correct - it took my painter all of an afternoon to turn around a different number.

Ultimately I will rely on advice from a lot of places - but I thought this was a good forum to ask.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stonycreekhomes For This Useful Post:
B.Johnson (03-09-2018), Big Johnson (03-06-2018), Bull Trout (03-09-2018), FrankSmith (03-21-2018), Mordekyle (03-06-2018), Rio (03-06-2018)
Old 03-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #11
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,458

On new builds i would use a combination of brush and roll and spraying. I do not believe there is a single one or the other is best in all circumstances.
I really like the Graco Jetroller as it a real time saver.

I always like to throw out this comment, not everyone prefers a sprayed finish. Some people appreciate quality built trim with a rich brushed finish.

Advertisement