Sherwin Williams Emerald Exterior Gloss Review

Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 AM   #1
President

Trade: Residential Repaints
Rewards Points: 822

Sherwin Williams Emerald Exterior Gloss Review

OK long time Durant fan... I kinda grew up with Duration...

Emerald, seems to be the paint SW wanted Duration to be, but isnt... In my experience, Em, doesnt cover as well as Duration. Brushes out nice, rolls nice... but doesnt cover like Duration. Its self levelling properties are way above duration esp if your used to using thinner paints...

However I just did a 30 window... job, exterior, brush and roll... and Honestly, I wish I had either gone with Duration, or Ben Moore Aura... for the price of Emerald, Aura, in MY opinion is a MUCH better product...

I havent sprayed Duration, Em or Arua... but, for brush and roll, its Duration or Aura from here on out, Emerald isnt worth it...

But, I must say, the Gloss Emerald, is A LOT better than Duration's.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: house painting and miscellaneous repair
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Sherwin Williams Emerald Exterior Gloss Review

I sure hope you did it a month ago. I can't say I've ever used duration twice, the price scared me . Is it your dedication to sherwin williams that keeps you coming back? I admit I often use the benj Moore product but I stay away from the aura until speciall circumstances make it the ideal choice. Just because a product is the top line and pricey , it may look attractive to the paranoid customer, I think that is where sherwin misses the target repeatedly , by having all sorts of products that appeal to industrial customers rather than residential. Some of the Ben moore stores, being in a cheapyet money grabbin mentality choose to stock only the Aura products instead of carrying other lines that intelligent customers have use for. I avoid those feckless operators and use stores that give me a choice. On the other hand I use the opulence int. line over the ten other choices. They should have just came out with an exterior opulence of their best effort instead of adding on yet another mystery homebrew.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Painting & Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling

I like it for trim, much better work ability and hide vs duration. Haven't used enough in color to make a decision if its something I would spec for siding paint.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Painting & repairs
Rewards Points: 308

Maybe I'm wrong but isn't Emerald SW's entry into the self priming war. And I think I agree with the other post SW is getting to many different lines of paint going and it is getting confusing. I am a fan of SW but this week I finished an ext. with the Aura from BM and I must say it's an excellent paint. Back to OP I have not used the Emerald but I have not used any paint/primer that has worked well if that is what it is.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #5
Painting & Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling

No Emerald was just released while they have been selling the reformulation of Super Paint, and the new 200 0 voc as self priming for some time. Even when Duration was released they sold it as self priming.

Not that I would advocate anyone not using a primer.
The Following User Says Thank You to JHC For This Useful Post:
ToolNut (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
The Sheriff

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 4,060

I am a Super Paint guy, but painted my office interior and the local PD interior with Emerald. Dont see anything worth the money, covers like SP. I do like Duration for its Matte finish though.

Havent tried Emerald exterior.

John
Old 11-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: house painting and miscellaneous repair

I just used some emerald interior paint,customer picked it up, I hate that event, a substitution to do dark colors, the light color was opulence ,went fine but a bit shiney and the emerald , what is that?,flattish satin or inside out paint , they failed 3 out of four failed, came out with an unstable coloring the cut didn't match the roller , did 3 coats, still sucks, am going to ben moore to buy paint that dries to look proffesional instead of moronic dimwit amateur ,or is it just me? My lousy 25 years practise isn't enough to apply this high end product. When I die they can kiss my high end . This ain't no diamond in any shade.