Sherwin Williams Duration Paint.......

Old 09-11-2004, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to MarvinJr

Sherwin Williams Duration Paint.......

Just painted with this Duration Paint. It is suppose to be a very high grade Exterior Paint, and cost around 35-45.00 per Gallon! Just wondering if anyone else has had much experience with it, and if it was worth the extra money.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 09-16-2004, 08:43 AM   #2

Re: Sherwin Williams Duration Paint.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinJr
Just painted with this Duration Paint. It is suppose to be a very high grade Exterior Paint, and cost around 35-45.00 per Gallon! Just wondering if anyone else has had much experience with it, and if it was worth the extra money.
I've been using it to paint my wood siding before installation, it seems to have a very nice finish, it dries very hard and covers well. But don't go for their 1 coat nonsense. I put a coat of oil primer and still will have to put on a 2nd coat of duration to cover up knots & such. But I was going to put on a finish coat anyway.

I don't know yet if it is worth the money since mine is a new job. I'll end up spending about $500 just on the paint.

Old 09-16-2004, 04:52 PM   #3
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 2,504

I think its good stuff. I don't spec much exterior paint, but I do think its worth the $$$. I'm from the old school of 'you get what you pay for'.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:56 AM   #4
Pro

Trade: Founder of Contractor Talk
Rewards Points: 2,000

Great Stuff... but costs about $40/gallon and starting next week they aren't going to give contractors a discount on the product!

Goes on a 7 mils and self primes. Not that I don't 2nd coat or prime but its nice to have it as a backup.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Old 09-20-2004, 11:05 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Great Stuff... but costs about $40/gallon and starting next week they aren't going to give contractors a discount on the product!

Goes on a 7 mils and self primes. Not that I don't 2nd coat or prime but its nice to have it as a backup.
Do you put this on with a sprayer? I am getting ready to put the final coat on my house and am planning to use a Graco/Magnum or similar sprayer. The guy at SW said that a sprayer gives a very good finish using the Duration.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:41 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Founder of Contractor Talk
Rewards Points: 2,000

I always use a sprayer when I can. Duration does fine being sprayed if thats what your asking...

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Old 09-27-2004, 09:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan

fyi- I put the final coat of Duration on most of my house this weekend. It sprayed on great with the Magnum XR7 I just bought. Finish looks great.

Anyway, I managed to get 10% off by just asking nicely, bought a 5 gallon bucket for $202 after tax, not bad. I've rarely bought anything at SW without getting a discount of at least 10%. Sometimes I just mention that I used to have a discount card that expired and they say, we'll just go ahead and give you the 10% or 20%, depending on the product.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via AIM to MarvinJr

The sales rep at SW asked how much we planed on buying......we said prolly 40 gallons!
So we got 4 gallons @ 32.99.....just to get started.....lol! Which was enough to finish the outside of the little house we were doing.

That's the only thing I hate about SW is the sales rep crap. They make buying paint like buying a used car. And I'd be willing to bet that over half of their reps were used car salesman at one point!
Old 08-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #9

Trade: electrician

As they do not make this paint in simi gloss-has anyone used the gloss on exteriors- I'm not a satain fan but have never used a full paint gloss outside.I'm about to paint two coats on older redwood siding and I have always liked using simi gloss outside-I plan on spraying then back brushing-this may be overkill?
Mark
Old 08-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
LRG WoodCrafting

Trade: DIY Home Owner
Rewards Points: 13,182

Ya, I wouldn't do that. Most exterior paints are flat or matte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqyPro View Post
Carpenter by day.
Mad scientist by night.
http://lrgwood.com
Custom Cabinets in Hartford County Connecticut
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo G For This Useful Post:
Jason@API (09-15-2011), Jaws (09-02-2011)
Old 08-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
Painting & Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by onokai View Post
As they do not make this paint in simi gloss-has anyone used the gloss on exteriors- I'm not a satain fan but have never used a full paint gloss outside.I'm about to paint two coats on older redwood siding and I have always liked using simi gloss outside-I plan on spraying then back brushing-this may be overkill?
Mark
I have used a ton of it, and it looks really good. SW gloss is more like BM semi gloss in sheen.

Just be mindful of a few things the most important is dry time. It will set up very fast, which can lead to laps. Use an extender, or paint end to end.
The Following User Says Thank You to JHC For This Useful Post:
ScottVp (08-28-2011)
Old 08-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 1,160

wow. 7 year old thread getting revived, is that a record?
Old 08-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #13
Painting & Remodeling

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 502

That house painted with Duration is still probably looking good after 7 years as well if correct coating maintenance was done.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #14

Trade: remodeling and finish work

Quote:
Originally Posted by area123

Do you put this on with a sprayer? I am getting ready to put the final coat on my house and am planning to use a Graco/Magnum or similar sprayer. The guy at SW said that a sprayer gives a very good finish using the Duration.
Spraying works well but uses significantly more material and doesn't last as long as it would if you brush and roll it. As far as the duration it is a good product but I prefer super paint because it has never failed me in the past.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:44 PM   #15
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptpupil View Post
wow. 7 year old thread getting revived, is that a record?
I know right I was looking at these prices these guys were saying and didnt realize it was such a old thread, I was getting ready to call my rep and
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave Mac For This Useful Post:
CarrPainting (11-22-2011), Greg Di (11-23-2011), Jaws (09-02-2011), RemodelGA (11-22-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
Educated Applicator

Trade: Painting & Fine Finishes
Rewards Points: 274
Send a message via AIM to MarvinWilleyJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
I know right I was looking at these prices these guys were saying and didnt realize it was such a old thread, I was getting ready to call my rep and

I remember seeing a ticket for some Duration in Georgia last year and I think that guy paid $55 a gallon... He didn't usually use SW and was stupid enough that he prolly paid full price.

I remember painting that house in this thread 7 years ago... Funny.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:55 PM   #17
Educated Applicator

Wow just realised that I don't have the same account? I don't remember opening a new one?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:02 PM   #18
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,744

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinWilleyJr View Post
Wow just realised that I don't have the same account? I don't remember opening a new one?
This one opened on 9/26/06. Contact a moderator so we can get this straightened out. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:04 PM   #19
Educated Applicator

Guess they can just close the MarvinJr, I had no idea I had that account. And it looks like I only posted 30 or so times with that old account.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #20
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler
Rewards Points: 3,744

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinWilleyJr View Post
Guess they can just close the MarvinJr, I had no idea I had that account. And it looks like I only posted 30 or so times with that old account.
We'll take care of it right now.

Carry on!