Semi Gloss For Wall Paint??

Old 03-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #1

Trade: Remodeling

Semi Gloss For Wall Paint??

What do you tell customers that insist on using semi-gloss for their walls and ceiling?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Licensed Electrical Contractor and Remodeler

Re: Semi Gloss For Wall Paint??

Please fill out your profile including area and do a short introduction in the intro section. Just a friendly heads up.

Welcome to CT

Old 03-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
General Contractor

Trade: New Home Construction-Additions-Remodeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxrdr67 View Post
What do you tell customers that insist on using semi-gloss for their walls and ceiling?
Same things you been told
Old 03-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
SEMI RETIRED

Trade: General Contractor

Quote:
Most of the time I say "Good choice".
Painter got you confused?
Old 03-08-2010, 11:15 PM   #5

Trade: painting

it that's what you want fine, but might i suggest a more sophisticated look. then sell the merits of eggshell or matte finish, while highlighting the cons of semi-gloss on walls.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
Scooter

Trade: General Contractor

I feel we owe it to our customers at least "once" to try to save them from themselves.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
World Champion

Trade: Painting

You should first recommend the sheen to the customer. Don't ask what they want first.... They normally will trust your judgement. If they insist on a certain sheen, don't argue just listen and do!!!

Oklahoma City Metro Area Paint Contractor
Facebook
Old 04-14-2010, 12:46 AM   #8

Trade: Professional Handyman

But politely mention to them that they're going to deal with reflective glare from sun and lighting and that it will give the room a more "institutional" look than a "cozy and elegant" look.

Also, unless it's in an unusually high traffic area, small scuff marks and smudges can be lightly scrubbed off flat paint with a sponge and dish soap or spray cleaner (ie. Formula 409) almost as easily as semi-gloss.

However, I have some rental property owners that insist on painting their units with semi-gloss for two reasons.

First is cost. It's faster and cheaper to spray paint one sheen through-out than masking for two.

Second, their thinking is that it will be easier to clean up after a tenant moves out instead of having to re-paint. Though, I have yet to see any apartment that could be just "cleaned up" rather than repainted after a tenant moved out.

Last edited by Maxvision; 04-14-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #9
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor

Quote:
I would tell them it is a bad idea, especially on the ceilings, if they still insist on it being done in semi gloss, I would refuse to do the job or if I did decide to do it, I would put it in writing it is a bad idea but they insisted and make sure you get paid upfront.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
New Guy

Trade: Construction

We always use semi gloss on our walls, as a matter of fact we just had our living room repainted with it. Looks wonderful and I have never had issues with the light. With two large dogs that slobber all over and a two year old its the only paint I would use. Our painter was great http://www.paintingbymassarone.com/ about painting how we asked and I couldn't be happier with the end result. I would have to strongly disagree about not taking a job just because you don't recommend that type of sheen.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:41 PM   #11

Trade: Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angdeer View Post
We always use semi gloss on our walls, as a matter of fact we just had our living room repainted with it. Looks wonderful and I have never had issues with the light. With two large dogs that slobber all over and a two year old its the only paint I would use. Our painter was great http://www.paintingbymassarone.com/ about painting how we asked and I couldn't be happier with the end result. I would have to strongly disagree about not taking a job just because you don't recommend that type of sheen.
I think semi-gloss on walls is a bit too shiny for most people. Most people do not want semi-gloss, even though they think they do. I don't think though that many contractors would have a problem if the customer wanted semi-gloss on the walls...it is semi-gloss on the ceiling that can really be the mistake. These days, most washable acrylic formulations are washable in any sheen so the old assumption that semi-gloss is more durable than eggshell may be a thing of the past. I do agree though that you shouldn't walk from jobs just because of this. It is not the contractors home after all.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor

No!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #13

Trade: Drywall jockie

It will show, magnify and highlight every small imperfection in the drywall.
The Following User Says Thank You to Project_Pat For This Useful Post:
bwalley (04-20-2010)
Old 04-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #14
Pompass Ass

Trade: Certified Building and Certified A/C Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlW View Post
I think semi-gloss on walls is a bit too shiny for most people. Most people do not want semi-gloss, even though they think they do. I don't think though that many contractors would have a problem if the customer wanted semi-gloss on the walls...it is semi-gloss on the ceiling that can really be the mistake. These days, most washable acrylic formulations are washable in any sheen so the old assumption that semi-gloss is more durable than eggshell may be a thing of the past. I do agree though that you shouldn't walk from jobs just because of this. It is not the contractors home after all.

The problem is once the job is done in semi gloss and it looks like crap because it flashes and shows all of the imperfections, the client is going to want the contractor to fix it, no matter how much you explain to them how it will look before you do the job, they will still blame you, the contractor for it not looking right.

I will not take on jobs that I think have the potential to cause problems.