Rolling Paint Lines

Old 08-23-2008, 06:47 AM   #1
Pro

Trade: Flooring, wall covering, Handy-man
Rewards Points: 260

Rolling Paint Lines

No mater what I try I always seam to get lines when I roll, I don't claim to be a painter by profession but on occasion some one does ask me to change a color of a roll of fix some drywall, repaint a door.

Whats the trick

I usually use Purdy rollers 3/4"

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 08-23-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: EXTERIORS
Rewards Points: 250

Re: Rolling Paint Lines

sounds like your painting with the wrong type of sleeve for whatever gloss paint you are using.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:51 AM   #3

Trade: Home Painter & Plaster
Rewards Points: 10

3/4" is too long, try 5/8" and keep the edge wet. As posted, perhaps a change of paint brand might help.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
General Contractor

Trade: Construction Management
Rewards Points: 500

They are called RAILROAD TRAX, or holidays.
Are you under any stress?
Dont press so hard in the wall.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

3 biggest causes of roller lines

1) Poor quality paint
2) Poor quality roller sleeves
3) Poor technique

#1 Stop using that Behr crap...or anything else like Glidden, American Tradition, Dutch Boy, etc....those cheap azz homies are providing
*If you are already using PREMIUM (they all make cheap sht too) lines of paint from BM, SW, P, then refer to #s 2 & 3

#2 Use Purdy White Doves
There are other good ones, but the WDs are available anywhere and are premium so it's a good way to eliminate sleeve quality from your troubleshooting
Yes, I know you said you use Purdy, but like any other brand (see paint brand comment above), there's the Corvette and the Chevette within the brand
You need to use the Corvette...at least for now until we solve the problem

#3 Hardest to 'splain or identify over the interweb
Eliminating the other 2 as I described, pretty much leaves this one as the culprit though
I can say the most common technique error is trying to squish every last drop out of the sleeve, like a sponge
You should be laying it down, not squooshing it out
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 08-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #6
General Contractor

[quote=slickshift;483458]3 biggest causes of roller lines

1) Poor quality paint
2) Poor quality roller sleeves
3) Poor technique

#1 Stop using that Behr crap...or anything else like Glidden, American Tradition, Dutch Boy, etc....those cheap azz homies are providing
*If you are already using PREMIUM (they all make cheap sht too) lines of paint from BM, SW, P, then refer to #s 2 & 3

#2 Use Purdy White Doves
There are other good ones, but the WDs are available anywhere and are premium so it's a good way to eliminate sleeve quality from your troubleshooting
Yes, I know you said you use Purdy, but like any other brand (see paint brand comment above), there's the Corvette and the Chevette within the brand
You need to use the Corvette...at least for now until we solve the problem

#3 Hardest to 'splain or identify over the interweb
Eliminating the other 2 as I described, pretty much leaves this one as the culprit though
I can say the most common technique error is trying to squish every last drop out of the sleeve, like a sponge
You should be laying it down, not squooshing it out[/quote........................dittos
Old 08-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
Pro

Trade: Flooring, wall covering, Handy-man
Rewards Points: 260

Thanks
I only use high quality paints SW, BM, this was my first time using Mautz.
I've been using purdy rollers (yellow) maybe I'll try white dove.

what about the primers
Old 08-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
...jammin

Same deal with the primers
If you're getting lines with Freshy (BM) or Preppy (SW), 123 (Z) or even SpeedHide (P), it's not the product, they are all good

A cheap primer will leave skid marks, unless you are using a good sleeve and have great technique...and/or over roll the bejesus out of it
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 08-24-2008, 05:46 PM   #9
...jammin

...might want to step down to 1/2" for a little bit...just till you figure out what's giving you lines

Try rolling the goob off the roller ends right after dipping too
Basically you tilt either end of the roller (eventually both) and use 'the edge' to roll some lines in the middle of your unpainted wall
Now the roller ends are "dry" (actually just less wet), and will leave less lines

... your first few full passes should be right over those big thick lines you just made...hopefully that's obvious...lol
Old 08-24-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rservices View Post
Thanks
I only use high quality paints SW, BM, this was my first time using Mautz.
I've been using purdy rollers (yellow) maybe I'll try white dove.

what about the primers
Try a lambs wool sleeve , pricy , but its pretty much impossible to leave trax and they clean up quick.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 AM   #11

Trade: Painter

To keep yourself from getting "rat tails" you have to use the proper sleeve for the job from 1/4 inch for thhe smoothest jobs, and on dry wall something between 3/8 and 5/8ths i might use a 1/2. It sounds like you are putting to much pressure on the roller and this is what causing the lines. To keep from pressing to hard you have to make sure your roller has plently of paint on it. If you find yourself pressing hard on the roller trying to get it to cover, you need to stop and dip the roller. Allways keep plenty of paint in the roller and let the gravity pull the weight of the roller down insted of pushing so hard. Running the roller dry not olnly makes you have to push harder but its makes the nap on the roller start to constrict and the roller starts to hold less and less paint. When you first start using the roller you have to break in the sleeve by getting a nice dip, putting it on the wall and continuing to dip over and over untill the roller is broken in. If you are not using a good sleeve that is lint free, you might get a bunch of little fussys on the wall. To prevent this you can try wraping your roller sleeve in tape and then peeling the tape of. Some of the fussies will come off with the tape, and then you can begin to use the sleeve.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:54 PM   #12

Trade: painting contractor(semi retired)
Rewards Points: 25

good advice above. Your 3/4 is for knockdown or ext. stucco. Use a half incher and a 3/8 for the doors. Don't push so hard and don't use one of those trays with the channels on the sides, they will fill up you ends. If all else fails get someone to do the painting for you and stick to what you do. pd
Old 08-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 2,006
Send a message via AIM to boman47k

Slick? You ever do the tape thing on new rollers? If so, do you wrap them in tape, or do you just pat them with tape? I have never wrapped a roller. Just seems to me that would leave jagged fuzzies still on the roller, maybe more so than it originally had. I have seen this done on some of those tv shows, but I just never thought too much of it. If I have time, I just as soon give the roller a good spend with water if painting with latex.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:30 PM   #14

Trade: Painter

Well i normally buy good sleeve that leave little to no fus to begin with. Ive seen wraping it just like pushing on it a little bit with the tape. Bottom line is get good sleeves.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoSSco View Post
Well i normally buy good sleeve that leave little to no fus to begin with. Ive seen wraping it just like pushing on it a little bit with the tape. Bottom line is get good sleeves.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #16
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco View Post
to keep yourself from getting "rat tails" you have to use the proper sleeve for the job from 1/4 inch for thhe smoothest jobs, and on dry wall something between 3/8 and 5/8ths i might use a 1/2. It sounds like you are putting to much pressure on the roller and this is what causing the lines. To keep from pressing to hard you have to make sure your roller has plently of paint on it. If you find yourself pressing hard on the roller trying to get it to cover, you need to stop and dip the roller. Allways keep plenty of paint in the roller and let the gravity pull the weight of the roller down insted of pushing so hard. Running the roller dry not olnly makes you have to push harder but its makes the nap on the roller start to constrict and the roller starts to hold less and less paint. When you first start using the roller you have to break in the sleeve by getting a nice dip, putting it on the wall and continuing to dip over and over untill the roller is broken in. If you are not using a good sleeve that is lint free, you might get a bunch of little fussys on the wall. To prevent this you can try wraping your roller sleeve in tape and then peeling the tape of. Some of the fussies will come off with the tape, and then you can begin to use the sleeve.
said n done >> read previous post you super hero! Or plagurist....lmao
Old 08-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #17
...jammin

Quote:
Originally Posted by boman47k View Post
Slick? You ever do the tape thing on new rollers? If so, do you wrap them in tape, or do you just pat them with tape? I have never wrapped a roller. Just seems to me that would leave jagged fuzzies still on the roller, maybe more so than it originally had. I have seen this done on some of those tv shows, but I just never thought too much of it. If I have time, I just as soon give the roller a good spend with water if painting with latex.
Tape...you mean to get rid of the loose fuzzies so they don't end up an un-intentional texture on your wall?
Yes, I have...but rarely
Mostly I use sleeves where it is not an issue
Occasionally it happens though

I do a loop of tape around my hand, and tap the sleeve with it
Like I was getting dog hair off my 3-piece suit or something

But I haven't had to do that in a while
Old 08-29-2008, 01:52 PM   #18

If you're using a roller tray this might help. I find the best way to control the amount of paint in the roller cover is to use a five gallon bucket with a metal mesh grid, instead of a tray. You can fill up the roller and squeeze paint out through the grid until you have exactly the consistency you want.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
Pro

If you tend to push a little harder on one end of the roller, let that side be the leading end. Might be slim chance, but I guess it could be part of the problem for you. If you roll completely from top to bottom or visa versa with even pressure, that should lessen the chance of that happening.

Last edited by boman47k; 08-29-2008 at 05:48 PM.