Repair & Paint A Rusty Metal Door

Old 10-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finish Work
Rewards Points: 342

Repair & Paint A Rusty Metal Door

Usually I sand off with emery cloth and then either red oxide or rust convertor on top.

But here we're talkin, a deep scale situation. Seems to the touch, it can easily punch thru in spots. This is an exit door with high exposure (deck balcony) that has a separate, fixed pane attached, both largely glass.

These metal skin doors -- I'm trying to convince the owner into a kickplate at the base of the door where it's at. Won't go for it.

If the skin totally pokes open, can a patch even hold?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Constructioneer; LEED AP BD+C
Rewards Points: 1,372

Re: Repair & Paint A Rusty Metal Door

I would have to think that any patching isn't going to hold up, especially on a door. You'd need X-ray vision to know where it'll break through after you patch the obvious.

Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 362

Lead it.

Tom

Old 10-18-2017, 10:24 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbnwi View Post
Lead it.

Tom
Come again?
Old 10-18-2017, 11:02 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Carpenter-Renovations/Repairs
Rewards Points: 256

My usual solution is to tell the homeowner they need a new door, and then proceed to put one in.. for some reason if that wasn't an option.. I dunno, I've never tried to repair a metal door that has rust right through.., get rid of the rust and use bondo? sand and paint..
Old 10-18-2017, 11:17 PM   #6
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post
Come again?
Body soldier. Make sure you clean well, acid treat.

Tom

Last edited by tjbnwi; 10-19-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:45 AM   #7
This space for lease

Trade: General
Rewards Points: 16,590

A kickplate would just be a bandaid temporary solution. It's either that or a new door. How is it your problem?
Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #8

Trade: Industrial
Rewards Points: 156

You just need to tell them that the door is shot and should be replaced. Tell them you will clean it up and paint it one more time, but can't guarantee how long it will hold up. You can probably buy them a couple more years of use, so not all bad.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangoWA View Post
A kickplate would just be a bandaid temporary solution. It's either that or a new door. How is it your problem?
I happen to live there.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:49 PM   #10
This space for lease

Quote:
I happen to live there.
This threw me off...
"I'm trying to convince the owner into a kickplate at the base of the door where it's at."

Answer is the same though, a new door or what is likely to be a temporary solution until then.
The Following User Says Thank You to RangoWA For This Useful Post:
artinall (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
This threw me off...
"I'm trying to convince the owner into a kickplate at the base of the door where it's at."

Answer is the same though, a new door or what is likely to be a temporary solution until then.
I live with the owner, and we both looked at the door when he bought the house last spring.

By an oddball coincidence, the house I currently have a contract to work on has (2) rusty doors, but the rust is not as severe... I seem to attract them, or they me.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #12

Trade: painting & flooring
Rewards Points: 120

paint can only do so much. time to pony up and buy a new door.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #13
Pro

The door is obviously on borrowed time. Decided to red oxide and bondo.
Which might hold for a couple years since I was aggressive sanding and digging the rust out.

Wish a new door could go in but that's just now happening, beyond me.

That's a bygone concern for now -- with a rusty door can come what? A rotted outer lower jamb leg. I thought this was covered when I made the post, but the epoxy patch I put in afterward isn't curing. This is a problem, given the lower temps and rain arriving ... calling abatron, their patch when it ages in the pail takes longer to cure. How was I supposed to know, I don't think it's stated anywhere? The jamb is sealed from the rain but that's temporary. If it gets wet its all over and I can't put a dryer on it. Looks like this might be a late spring project

Last edited by artinall; 10-23-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:43 AM   #14
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,518

You are asking for advice on rust that never sleeps on a door that your owner is too stupid to replace, on which you will try and uselessly repair and hope it lasts a year, which the owner will find you to blame if it doesn't. How much sympathy and advice here do you deserve?

Last edited by Caslon; 10-27-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:48 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 6,518

If you can't persuade/convince him to replace the door...then...???

Secure a cheap metal sheet over the rust and paint it. Rust never sleeps. That should do it. Right? We're not talking freaking car body work, right?

Last edited by Caslon; 10-27-2017 at 02:41 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
You are asking for advice on rust that never sleeps on a door that your owner is too stupid to replace, on which you will try and uselessly repair and hope it lasts a year, which the owner will find you to blame if it doesn't. How much sympathy and advice here do you deserve?
You might want to to take it easy, the owner has advanced dementia, and is without the needed funds...

btw I guess some of us post here for different reasons. Myself, I post both as an O.P and responding to others in the hopes that the exchange of ideas can lead to an improved synthesis for everyone. Rather than being about positioning, or influence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
If you can't persuade/convince him to replace the door...then...???
Secure a cheap metal sheet over the rust and paint it. Rust never sleeps. That should do it. Right? We're not talking freaking car body work, right?
To the extent that you tried to help, appreciate it.
As a 2nd btw, I used to paint in CA.

Last edited by artinall; 10-27-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:53 AM   #17
This space for lease

Quote:
You might want to to take it easy, the owner has advanced dementia, and is without the needed funds...

btw I guess some of us post here for different reasons. Myself, I post both as an O.P and responding to others in the hopes that the exchange of ideas can lead to an improved synthesis for everyone. Rather than being about positioning, or influence.
The owner has no money and isn't capable of making a sound decision anyway? The story keeps getting more and more involved. You were saying you were trying to convince him of doing this and that and he has advanced dementia? You should be talking to his legal guardian. Something isn't right here.
MarkJames (11-03-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 08:06 AM   #18
Pro

Quote:
The owner has no money and isn't capable of making a sound decision anyway? The story keeps getting more and more involved. You were saying you were trying to convince him of doing this and that and he has advanced dementia? You should be talking to his legal guardian. Something isn't right here.
"something isn't right here?" You wouldn't believe some of the customers I've had, including psychologists, physicists, and others, and some of the ways they try and carry out things, to their own intent. The psychologist being especially notable for trying to work the game in their own favor, even beyond what is morally or ethically right. The lying, their deceit, and willingness to collude can be among the worst.

Some people with dementia like the one mentioned aren't willing to give up control to a guardian. And yes, this does present a problem I can tell you that. But rather than go into this level of detail, I was trying to keep it simple and stick to the door itself... although someone sniffed the scent.

btw - I'm not getting referrals from the guys in white coats, though it may seem that way.

This project is on hold now until next spring, at the earliest.

Last edited by artinall; 10-27-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:19 AM   #19
This space for lease

Quote:
"something isn't right here?" You wouldn't believe some of the customers I've had, including psychologists, physicists, and others, and some of the ways they try and carry out things, to their own intent. The psychologist being especially notable for trying to work the game in their own favor, even beyond what is morally or ethically right and wrong. The lying.

Some people with dementia like this one aren't willing to give up control to a guardian. And yes, this does present a problem I can tell you that. But rather than go into this level of detail, I was trying to keep it simple and stick to the door itself... although someone sniffed the scent.

This project is on hold now until next spring, at the earliest.
Yeah, that helped a bunch, thanks.
artinall (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 08:44 AM   #20
Pro

Trade: remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,735

I've done some illogical work for people, usually old people, but people who lost their spouse can have some quirks as well. It may be tear down and haul to the dump situation, but the owner wants a fix/ restoration.

Also, people can become disoriented if something like the front door is changed, they may think it isn't their house.

Advertisement