Razoring Door Glass & Warranties

Old 01-11-2018, 07:50 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Rewards Points: 1,214

Razoring Door Glass & Warranties

I'm in the habit of typicallly ignoring that little warning decal "removing glazing will void warranty" on the new doors. Never encountered a problem. Always do it anyway. Quite a number over the years. Hey, when there is sloppy glazing squished what choice do you have, besides leave it to the cleaning crew?

Curious if anyone here has every gotten into a tiff with a door co. over this... looking back, some of those would be pricey to address.

Is this something the legal teams fantasize over?

Last edited by artinall; 01-11-2018 at 07:59 PM.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,863

Re: Razoring Door Glass & Warranties

Generally speaking, glazing is glasswork. Well yeah, removing the glass should invalidate a warranty.

You're talking about glazing compound, which is a different animal. Unless specifically called out with that term, I doubt the lawyers would take much money home. Having said that, I've never had occasion to test the issue.

Advertisement

Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Repairs & Finishing
Rewards Points: 1,214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinstaafl View Post
Generally speaking, glazing is glasswork. Well yeah, removing the glass should invalidate a warranty.

You're talking about glazing compound, which is a different animal. Unless specifically called out with that term, I doubt the lawyers would take much money home. Having said that, I've never had occasion to test the issue.
Glaziers do glasswork. To glaze a window, from my understanding, is applying the glazing putty to secure a seal.

Is there a chance they want the term 'glazing' to be subject to debate?

Old 01-11-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
Capra aegagrus

Trade: Remodeler
Rewards Points: 1,863

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinall View Post
To glaze a window, from my understanding, is applying the glazing putty to secure a seal.
Technically, glazing is the act of installing glass. While puttying is typically included, and is popularly the more common definition, I have no doubt that one could find historical references to glass installation without the use of such a compound. Leading, for instance.

I can see a facile enough lawyer making a good case for either interpretation. But in real life, IMO the chances of it actually being an issue with any cleanup properly done (and pictorially documented, if you're that paranoid) are extremely low.
Old 01-19-2018, 12:57 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: State Licensed Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 7,312

This is a given, but ALWAYS wet down tinted glass first before razor blading anything off. That kinda of glass can get scratched up easily if you don't (scraping off overspray, etc).

Last edited by Caslon; 01-19-2018 at 01:00 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:18 PM   #6

Trade: Door Installer
Rewards Points: 196

I used to be a warranty tech for a door manufacturer. I personally never ran into that issue. However, our doors didn't have that sticker. As an installer, when I would install doors that had glazing sticking out on the glass, I would remove it because I thought it made my installation look like crap.

Advertisement