Rain After Staining Deck

Old 04-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #1

Trade: Enginieer
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Rain After Staining Deck

After washing my deck with oxylic acid and waiting 48 hours, I stained my deck yesterday evening. No clouds and no rain in forcast. I awoke this morning finding that it rained most of the night and continues to rain now. I looked at my deck and found that the stain is peeling off in many places and everywere else it rubs off on my palm.

After the rain stops & it dries, what's the best solution to fix it. Can I just clean & apply a second coat? Or wash with oxylic acid again? Or do I need to use a stripping compound to entirely remove the first coat?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 04-25-2005, 11:39 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Re: Rain After Staining Deck

2nd coat should be fine

Old 04-25-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Bathroom Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,000

In my opinion it depends on the stain you used. Was it a penetrating stain or film stain? What was it?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:33 PM   #4
Pro

Trade: Contractor/ Business Owner/ Entrepreneur
Rewards Points: 504
Unhappy

I’m with Mike….if it was a film former strip it…if it was an oil based penetrating stain lightly power wash to even out the blotchiness and give it a very light recoat.

I would only use oxicilac acid to remove mill glaze and open up the pores of brand new decks. To clean unfinished decks that have weathered or for maintenance cleanings, I recommend a good deck wash containing oxygenated bleach (not regular bleach)

Quote:
I looked at my deck and found that the stain is peeling off in many places
Sounds like a film former. I wish you luck

Jesse R. Kirchhoff

Advanced Power Washing and Restoration Solutions LLC
Professional Products ~ Professional Service ~ Professional Results
www.advancedpw.com

Kirchhoff Handyman Solutions LLC
“Making Your Life A Lot Less Complicated”
www.midmohandyman.com

Last edited by fez-head; 04-25-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:08 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 75

Hate to sound ignorant, but what is a "film former"?? A latex-based product?
Old 04-27-2005, 04:09 PM   #6

Trade: Enginieer

I used a latex based semi-transparent stain. As you noted, it did form a film which peeled of in places after the rain. So, I guess I should strip it off & start over

The deck was previously stained with a similar color semi-transparent stain (not sure if oil or latex) but was badly worn. My paint salesperson recommended the oxicilic acid wash before my initial application to make sure that the stain could soak into the wood.

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by NormZ; 04-27-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:47 PM   #7
Pro

The advice that we didn't get to is to avoid the film forming stain and just go with a penetrating stain. No matter what you put on it, sooner or later you will have to deal with it again so why not start with a product that will be way easier to deal with at that time?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:01 PM   #8
New Guy

Rewards Points: 25

I agree, avoid using a film forming stain on a deck. I'm a big fan of the Diamond Vogel Grain stain semi-transparent stain line. In Stbt Springs, CO the sun, snow combination is utterly brutal on exterior wood.
What do you other Colorado guys perfer?

Peter
Old 04-28-2005, 12:38 AM   #9
Pro

Peter I have been using Penofin Exotic Hardwood stain on Ipe decking. Looks great but as usual out here in Colorado doesn't last very long. I would like to try some Cabots Timber oil and TWP, or is TWP a film too?
Old 04-30-2005, 09:46 PM   #10
New Guy

Yeah, if it's peeling you need to strip it again, otherwise you'll end up with a spotty deck.

Let in dry for a day afterwards, then apply a good stain.

I use Olympic Maxximum, semi-transparent, or solid.

It's guaranteed for 3 years. I have several decks I did with it 2 years ago, and they still look good. We've had a lot of bad weather since, but their still holding up well.

Also, if you use oxalic acid to strip, or anything else for that matter, make sure you rinse the deck very well to remove any excess chemical, then let it dry for a day before you apply the stain.

Usually that's what takes the longest, waiting for the weather to cooperate.

I've got one now that took me about 4 hours to get ready for stain, and I've been waiting over a week for the rain to stop long enough to stain it.

Believe me, it's worth the wait though. :Thumbs:

Last edited by S.W.C; 04-30-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:08 AM   #11

Trade: finish carpentry

Mike Finley said it well. Said another way, it's not if you have to maintain it, it's when and how hard the maintenance will be.

Customers, and most of us in general, don't tend them as they should be (whether due to time constraints, cost, ignorance or whatever). As such, they become part of the problem.

Wood dries out over time, causing it to crack and split. That includes treated wood, which many homeowners and too many contractors think, of, erroneously, as some kind of magic solution to their degradation problems.

Some otherwise very knowledgeable pros say you can't "feed wood." That's bull. Wood impregnated with oils don't split and crack from drying. As an additional benefit, it won't rot. If hardening oil was used, it can be surface coated, if that is later desired.

I avoid treating horizontal surfaces with just surface sealers, which includes paint, every chance I get. I use oils, both hardening and non-hardening, depending on circumstance. For example, I would NEVER treat cedar roof shingles or shakes with other than unpigmented non-hardening oil. I would treat window sills and such with hardening oil, allow it to dry, then apply my prime and paint.

A penetrating hardening oil is going to give a second layer of defense. It can even be modified, such as by thinning with non hardening, oil to increase its flexibility under changing weather conditions.

Oils don't wear as good as paint and other sealers, but they are maintained with a fraction of the effort. They never require stripping of a prior coat before applying a new one, unless you are trying to remove the pigments added to them, which just rest on the surface (and in the pours). Straight oils don't leave lap marks. You can brush them, roll them, or spray them, even using a pump up garden sprayer (you are likely to have to thin), or a regular commercial sprayer.

In the end, oils need more frequent application than paint, but the simplicity of applications makes that tolerable in many circumstances.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
House Painters Reading PA

Trade: House Painting, Roof Cleaning, Pressure Washing
Rewards Points: 250

You must have used a latex stain for it to wash off like that. Especially since you had it coated and it did not rain til after you went to bed. thats my guess since you said you did not know of the rain til you awoke.

I use Armstrong Clark and even after the rain it did not wash off.

484-334-1311
Old 11-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #13
Deck Cleaner

Trade: Deck Cleaning, Staining, Restoration
Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGeneration View Post
You must have used a latex stain for it to wash off like that. Especially since you had it coated and it did not rain til after you went to bed. thats my guess since you said you did not know of the rain til you awoke.

I use Armstrong Clark and even after the rain it did not wash off.
The finish can still get ruined. I have an A/C deck that was rained on. Stain applied in June, in September it was covered in black mold. Southern exposure..
Old 11-02-2009, 05:37 PM   #14
Pro

Trade: Porch and Deck Builder
Rewards Points: 1,110

Should be about time for that 2nd coat. 3 years between application should do it, yep.

http://www.vicporch.ca
Deck Fence Porch Builder Toronto
Old 11-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #15
Pro

Trade: Painting - Restoration
Rewards Points: 250

solid stains > all

Tags
deck staining, deck washing