Production Rates For Rolling, Brush, And Spray Also Stilts

Old 11-11-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,144

Production Rates For Rolling, Brush, And Spray Also Stilts

Guys i have a couple questions about production painting.

Ive been working on alot of flips lately and few more upcoming. The more houses i beat out, the more work for me. I wanted to speed things up so i hired a drywall & mud crew, takes care all of my hanging, finishing, and skim coating, very well worth it in my opionion. I've also started spraying for a faster turn over. Tinted Primer & 1 top coat

This particular investor specializes in multi family homes.

House has 9ft ceilings, wavy, not perfect, some with cove tops.

1) What are your opinions on stilits for painting? I am seriously considering a pair for painting, just not sure if it will speed up production much?...

2) I am curious about production rates from other painters.

A) ceilings are primed & painted flat white, for a slow, medium, and fast pace painter, how much LF can he cut in a min with a purdy 2.5 angle moving around with a 6 foot ladder?

B) Trim around windows are primed and finished with semi gloss white. Windows have approx. 16 lf. How much LF can he cut in a min for a slow, medium, and fast pace painter? (Please note, trims are finished)

c) how much sq.ft does a slow, medium, and fast pace roller could roll?

I know the production rates of my guys. I know what they are capable of. I am curious about how other crews perform. I do understand every individual is different, but there must be sort of average.

Thanks

Rich

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
nick@nite

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 500

Re: Production Rates For Rolling, Brush, And Spray Also Stilts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazaman View Post

Ive been working on alot of flips lately and few more upcoming. The more houses i beat out, the more work for me. I wanted to speed things up so i hired a drywall & mud crew, takes care all of my hanging, finishing, and skim coating, very well worth it in my opionion. I've also started spraying for a faster turn over. Tinted Primer & 1 top coat

1) What are your opinions on stilits for painting? I am seriously considering a pair for painting, just not sure if it will speed up production much?...

A) ceilings are primed & painted flat white, for a slow, medium, and fast pace painter, how much LF can he cut in a min with a purdy 2.5 angle moving around with a 6 foot ladder?

B) Trim around windows are primed and finished with semi gloss white. Windows have approx. 16 lf. How much LF can he cut in a min for a slow, medium, and fast pace painter? (Please note, trims are finished)

I know the production rates of my guys. I know what they are capable of. I am curious about how other crews perform. I do understand every individual is different, but there must be sort of average.

Thanks

Rich
PDCA estimating guide----craftsman books----both have production rates for painters.........

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: general contractor/ remodeling
Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via Yahoo to send_it_all

Why would you get stilts instaed of a wand for painting the ceilings?

Last edited by send_it_all; 11-11-2007 at 08:54 PM.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:58 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by send_it_all View Post
Why would you get stilts instaed of a wand for painting the ceilings?
Not for ceilings, for walls
Old 11-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
REGAL PAINTING

Trade: painting contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Tried stilts a long time ago, the first thing I noticed was that if I needed some thing from the floor I would have to take them off! (duh, right) So you would need to gear up for sure. I find an aluminum ladder to work easier. But back then I did see the stilt Idea as a good idea. I also know a guy (experienced taper) That fell and almost broke his neck, his stilt foot caught the lip of some oak bullnose, and he went down quick.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Tried stilts a long time ago, the first thing I noticed was that if I needed some thing from the floor I would have to take them off! (duh, right) So you would need to gear up for sure. I find an aluminum ladder to work easier. But back then I did see the stilt Idea as a good idea. I also know a guy (experienced taper) That fell and almost broke his neck, his stilt foot caught the lip of some oak bullnose, and he went down quick.
In most cases, he wouldnt be alone, 5-6 other guys at an given time. Tapers are a bit scary, they move around more when on stilts. My subs walk down staircases on stilits.

When painting, i think it might be a bit safer since you are hugging the corners.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 688

painting, putting, caulking, crown molding on stilz, probaly is faster.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #8
REGAL PAINTING

Trade: painting contractor
Rewards Points: 150

yeah, if you have got a lot area to do I suppose, I never thought I would use a mini baker, but two of those came in real handy on a large common hallway job. (1/4 mile halls, 4 total) we basically rode them like scooters, with one plank down and one up.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:28 PM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Right by the outter pipe by your knee there is a plastic cap that sits on top of the adjustment pipe. Remove the cap and take a hanger with the bent end sticking up and leave it in there. That way instead of removing the stilts you can use the hooked end of the hanger and scoop just about anything off of the floor.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:29 AM   #10

Trade: Plasterer/ Painter
Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazaman View Post

Thanks

Rich
Hi def. stilts will speed up your production and makes lot more comfortable to work off course you have to by a good light way stilts Dura stilts , skywalker from marshaltown, once you get use to )didn't toke long to me ) you will see how much better and fester to cut, one guy cut top one down one with 18 inch roller you have nice production..very fast, but def. stilts worth it to me!

3 guys crew probably at least 3 rooms a day ifs at the point of only walls and ceiling. good lucky!

Not easy to fall on stilts when u get use to very usefully, for alot of things you just jump off and on very quickly when u get used too, my opinion safer than leaders ans way more productive and comfortable for 9ft high ceilings.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:20 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: Remodeling
Rewards Points: 2,390

He fell off his stilts and passed away 10 years ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to avenge For This Useful Post:
B.Johnson (10-14-2017), Rio (10-13-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 05:16 AM   #12

Trade: painting & flooring
Rewards Points: 120

I know going up and down a ladder can be a pain, but I'm just skeptical on the stilts. Seems a little too cumbersome to have to constantly take them on and off. You know there will be something you'll have to pick up off the ground.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:38 AM   #13
Pro

Trade: Painting and wallpaper
Rewards Points: 2,030

I have wondered about stilts before, not sold on the idea as like so many things time saved is offset by time spent on something unexpected and having to take them off etc. In empty houses i like the Baker scaffolding. For 8' ceilings we use the Werner benches. I notice Werner make a slightly taller bench that might work for 9' ceilings. What we don't drag out anymore are 6' step ladders.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio painter For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (10-21-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #14
http://penncoatinc.com/

Trade: Painting / Epoxy Flooring / Polished Concrete
Rewards Points: 650

How big is this room? Why not try baker's scaffolding?
Old 10-21-2017, 07:18 AM   #15
General Contractor

Trade: general
Rewards Points: 64

not sure if these give you enough height but we have a bunch of these and line em up so you can walk from one to the other and are easy to move around quickly. never tried stilts.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Werner-48...Fc0YgQodvT0Peg

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to StillRemodeling For This Useful Post:
Metro M & L (10-21-2017)