Peel Bond Primer

Old 10-31-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: Painting & Remodeling
Rewards Points: 250

Peel Bond Primer

I have seen a couple threads that mention peel bond but no real debate about it. Is their anyone here who uses it regularly? I would like to know more about the results from someone besides a rep.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-31-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 506

Re: Peel Bond Primer

I would be interested too, the reps have really been pushing that stuff this year. I do not know anyone who uses it though.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things!!!

Trade: Paint and Floor Covering Retailer
Rewards Points: 839

We've sold a fair bit of it out of the store. Zinsser Peel Stop is the one we stock. Everyone we've had use it says it does an excellent job. I've used it myself with chalking issues. We sell virtually no Emulsa-bond anymore since bringing this in. We've also sold a bit of Xim Peel Bond. It's a good product but extremely expensive. It's not worth using over Peel Stop in my opinion unless you specifically need it filling capabilities. Xim is a lot thicker that Zinsser.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
Pro

XIM is a ten times better product than Zinnser's
Old 11-01-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Paperhanger/painting contractor
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideond View Post
We've sold a fair bit of it out of the store. Zinsser Peel Stop is the one we stock. Everyone we've had use it says it does an excellent job. I've used it myself with chalking issues. We sell virtually no Emulsa-bond anymore since bringing this in. We've also sold a bit of Xim Peel Bond. It's a good product but extremely expensive. It's not worth using over Peel Stop in my opinion unless you specifically need it filling capabilities. Xim is a lot thicker that Zinsser.
I've got 4 gallons of Peel Stop from when it was still made by Zehrung (how many years ago is that?). I got it by mistake and never bothered sending it back. I never had the guts to try it on anything. I just figured that if there was a peeling problem, this stuff would probably just compound it. Maybe I'll have to give it a try.

S B Bolson & Sons
Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #6
Doer of Many Things!!!

Trade: Paint and Floor Covering Retailer
Rewards Points: 839

I agree that XIM is the better of the two products. But I've hardly ever come across anyone who actually NEEDS everything XIM does. The Peel Stop works just fine for many situations at a fraction of the price.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #7
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Humble Abode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainPainter View Post
XIM is a ten times better product than Zinnser's
I agree. We use it all the time. We have spot primed with it and we have sprayed it on out to 40 mils. I think it's a great product. You can't build the Zinnser product any more than 4 mils.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
nick@nite

Trade: Painting

Mad Dog Primer.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:33 AM   #9
Pro

Mad-dog primer is the absolute bomb! But is it overkill compared to XIM?
Old 11-04-2007, 07:42 AM   #10
Pro

Trade: Painting & Remodeling

So can I assume that its a simple, scrape, prime and repaint? How about long term has anyone used it and seen the 5-10 year results?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:19 AM   #11
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Send a message via AIM to Humble Abode

I think it has only been on the market for a little more than five years. Less than ten for sure.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:57 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Real facts about Peel Bond. QUV tests show that Peel Bond with topcoat outlasts oil/alkyd primers by a large margin. Peel Bond breathes unlike Mad Dog which is an elastomeric which can cause moisture entrapment. You can build surface with PB. 30 mils WFT thickness with 1 coat, dries to 9.5 mils. Easily sprayed with 517 tip and 1100-1200 PSI, try that with an elastomeric. Dries in about an hour and does not stay tacky. 5 times thicker than Peel Stop. Can be tinted. Like all of XIM's products it is very aggressive in penetration of bare wood and bonding to surfaces.

Little know fact about Peel Bond is that it has great hold out. Contractors report having to use about 30% less topcoat than with ordinary primers.

Anyone having any technical questions can contact me at billk@ximbonder.com
Old 11-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #13
nick@nite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Real facts about Peel Bond. QUV tests show that Peel Bond with topcoat outlasts oil/alkyd primers by a large margin. Peel Bond breathes unlike Mad Dog which is an elastomeric which can cause moisture entrapment. You can build surface with PB. 30 mils WFT thickness with 1 coat, dries to 9.5 mils. Easily sprayed with 517 tip and 1100-1200 PSI, try that with an elastomeric. Dries in about an hour and does not stay tacky. 5 times thicker than Peel Stop. Can be tinted. Like all of XIM's products it is very aggressive in penetration of bare wood and bonding to surfaces.

Little know fact about Peel Bond is that it has great hold out. Contractors report having to use about 30% less topcoat than with ordinary primers.

Anyone having any technical questions can contact me at billk@ximbonder.com

So are youa painter? or a sales rep for xim.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:30 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

I thought I had identified myself earlier. I work for XIM in Marketing. I still have access to a lot of information regarding priming and painting.