Painting Test

Old 11-15-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: EXTERIORS
Rewards Points: 250

Painting Test

Has any one else taking a painting test to get a certification from a local town? What kind of questions do they ask?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 11-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
Pro

Trade: Residential Contractor
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Painting Test

The license here starts SPO----- and I'm sure that there is a test. It can't be to tough, considering who is diong most of it and the results.

Most of the paint is a cover and doesn't stick, blue tape takes it off. I use green and purple tape a lot. It doesn't always work.

Albert Einstein
Old 11-15-2006, 10:09 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: EXTERIORS

did you have to take a test in jensen beach?
Old 11-16-2006, 04:32 PM   #4
Professional Painter

Trade: Owner/Operator
Rewards Points: 500

Nope

They probably ask you your drug of choice though

joking--I'm one of those painters that doesn't smoke anything, have a gut, and past/present drinking problem...dont know too many like me around here
Old 11-16-2006, 04:37 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting

I've taken many painting tests over the years when filling out apps. at painting contractors. Usually it's a test made up by PDCA, it's about 40 questions long. It asks stuff like what is a holiday, is green a primary color, what is a lanyard, what type of bristle brush to use with oil paint etc. It's a multiple choice test...
Old 11-16-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
Professional Painter

Trade: Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz the Painter View Post
I've taken many painting tests over the years when filling out apps. at painting contractors. Usually it's a test made up by PDCA, it's about 40 questions long. It asks stuff like what is a holiday, is green a primary color, what is a lanyard, what type of bristle brush to use with oil paint etc. It's a multiple choice test...
holy cow...I took that test when applying with an old employer--I did real well--guess he took it from the pdca--well, at least I know I'm ok, since I took the test a while ago
Old 11-16-2006, 05:14 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguy26 View Post
Nope

They probably ask you your drug of choice though

joking--I'm one of those painters that doesn't smoke anything, have a gut, and past/present drinking problem...dont know too many like me around here
Why be a painter, then?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #8
Educated Applicator

Trade: Painting & Fine Finishes
Rewards Points: 274
Send a message via AIM to MarvinWilleyJr

Had a 20 question quiz with the application for the guy I work for now. Just some basic knowledge questions, that if you are a painter you should know. I missed one out of the 20 on What do you thin shellac with. Never really worked with it, but when I got home I did a search to find out.

Also had to get certified for lead abatement and some other stuff when I was in the Union years ago.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:24 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painting in Utah

In Utah, I had to take a 50 question, 2 hour business law test. Questions varied from types of bookeeping to how often a first aid kit should be checked! The painting test was 30 questions, 2 hours. Questions also were a wide range. How long should galvanized metal be allowed to sit before painting, what are parts of paint (pigments, binder, etc.) what are correct settings for hvlp. They are administered thru Experion in several states. It is very controlled, your picture is taken, you take the test in a room on a computer under video surviellance. They have a website that explains it all and suggests books that you should read. Good Luck!
Old 11-17-2006, 06:44 AM   #10

Trade: PAINTER
Rewards Points: 25

If you guys search google for (aec daily education) there are some test from benjamin moore like paint 101 and color theory. It takes about a half hour or so. Then if you pass they will give cheap certificate to print out.

Thanks Dan
Old 11-17-2006, 07:46 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: paint contractor since 1974

Many years ago I took a test to get e certificate of compancy from Broward county FL. A vast majority of the questions had to do with the laws. workers comp, liability, taxes, etc. Very little on painting.

Jim Bunton