Painting By The Sq Ft

Old 01-17-2008, 09:34 PM   #1

Trade: PAINTING CONTRACTOR
Rewards Points: 10

Painting By The Sq Ft

Been Checking For Standard Prices For Sq Ft Painting, And It Seems To Vary From .30 To 3.00 Per Sq Ft. Is There No Standard New Construction Rates For Painting? I Like Most Painting Contractors Use How Much Time It Will Take And Charge My Daily Rate, When Asked To Give A Price Per Sq Ft It Seems Like A Guess At Best. I Need To Give A Price On A 11,770 Sq Ft Job And Can Make Money On From .50 To $1.00 Per Sq Ft. Anyone Have Any Idea? National Construction Estimator Says 3.75 Per Sq Ft In 1999, Jesus That Would Be Great Profit. Is Bidding By Sq Ft A Secert Or What?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 01-20-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
www.summitpdx.com

Trade: Painting, Entrepreneur

Re: Painting By The Sq Ft

If you are talking about the price for both interior and exterior the prices you are talking about are way too low for a custom job. The amount of time involved with a custom 11K sq ft job is so much more than that of a 1500 sq ft spec home. To be honest I would assume a minimum of $6 per sq ft. It is never good to have a high end customer and be the low cost provider that is a recipe for disaster. To put in perspective we just finished a 2100 sq ft home new const in and out and I charged 9800 and next time would be at least 11K.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #3

Trade: PAINTING CONTRACTOR

THANKS, But this is not high end, old victorian house being re-done, there is 11,770 sq ft of new sheetrock, they charge 1.50 per sq for the rock, so i'm thinking $1 per sq for walls and ceiling plus trim would be fair. $12,000 for painting around here is a good deal
Old 01-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #4

Trade: painter
Rewards Points: 25

Way to cheap for painting >the sheetrock job should not be more than the painting!!!I'm in ny and i wouldnt charge anything less then $4sq ft considering its not high end job...i agree with jtomin that going rate should be atleast $6 sq ft and up for high end work!!! problem these days is that to many people are underpricing themselves and thus the problem of ho's and gc looking to pay $1sq ft for and entire paint job!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

MORSE PAINTING, I do at least one Victorian a year, and can spend as long as 3 months one just one.I charge more for them than anything else, So don't sell yourself short.....an older home takes more prep and patience... I've underbid two many already, don't make the same mistake.
Good luck......and take pictures.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #6
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORSE PAINTING View Post
... Is There No Standard New Construction Rates For Painting? I Like Most Painting Contractors Use How Much Time It Will Take And Charge My Daily Rate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORSE PAINTING View Post
...old victorian house being re-done...
Stick by your guns
An old Victorian has way too many possible variables to do a sq. ft. price
It's not really "new const." in that regard
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 01-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #7
Pro

Trade: Painting
Send a message via AIM to boman47k

Anyone differenciating between wall sqf and floor sqf?
Old 01-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #8
Pro

11,770 sq ft of new sheetrock,
Went back and reread. Sorry about that. Now I know he is talking about wall/ceiling sqf.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
Pro

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last edited by boman47k; 01-31-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: double post
Old 03-01-2011, 07:15 AM   #10
Doug

Trade: roofing, remodeling & painting
Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Yahoo to room2roof

Painting is sometimes tricky to bid and you really have to show your customers exactly what they're paying for and why. Exterior jobs may have wood rot needing repair, peeling, alligatored paint need proper prepping and priming, older homes with lead paint now need a company lead certified before you go scraping, sanding or stripping away. Interior paint also has many different factors on pricing. Are you moving many antique pieces of furniture to paint a room or is the place empty? are you spraying and backrolling (only if the home is vacant) or rolling it all out? are there holes needing repair? are you covering up an old bold color like red or purple with a new color like beige? better factor that in......the variables are endless when it comes to painting jobs. I can honestly say my first Historic homes paint job was a big loss because I severely underestimated how long the job would take and it killed me bigtime in profit....oh well live and learn at least my customer was ecstatic about the end result.

charlotte roofing, remodeling and painting contractor
Old 03-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
Pro

Trade: General Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

I know serveral strictly painting only contractors around in my area. They are all t/m, one has been like that for about 25+ years. Just too many things that may need prepped once you get a halogen light in there. Even in new drywall installs you may have a ton of prep depending on the rockers.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
Pro

Trade: Home Improvement Contractor
Rewards Points: 556

Why not start real simple. Bid two rooms (to yourself) and figure your sqft. price then go from there?
Old 03-12-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
Owner

Trade: residential remodel

I just finished a bid in NC for an existing home, 15 years old, overall good shape. It has the standard trimming of cracked caulking, very few nail pops. I figured 3.75 per room sq ft. for 2 coats eggshell on walls, semigloss trim single coat(just a clean up coat). As I look back at previous work, I feel this should be close, but you always have to take into account the trim, wall conditions, and your specific economical demo-graph.