Painting Paneling

Old 10-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
Pro

Trade: general contractor

Painting Paneling

Need some advice from you painters out there,I bought a house to flip and it has a lot of paneling throughout that is glued on good so removal really isn't an option without a lot of work.My question is, do I need to use an oil base primer before painting or would a latex sealer such as kilz or bin work or can I just use a regular old latex primer? It is the older real wood paneling not the photo-finish stuff,not to much gloss to it.I plan to tint the primer to a close match, hoping 1 top coat would get it.Would you do it differently?Any advice is appreciated!

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple

Re: Painting Paneling

Scuff sand, clean, one coat pigmented shellac (or possibly oil-based primer depending on the actual condition/color of the paneling)
Two coats paint

Quote:
latex sealer such as kilz or bin
Latex Kilz or Kilz2 suck
Original Kilz is oil-based, and a decent product, but not the product you want for this project
BIN is a pigmented shellac and not latex

Quote:
I plan to tint the primer to a close match, hoping 1 top coat would get it.Would you do it differently?
Yes
That's a cheesy way around doing it properly, and as it's over paneling, it's a mighty slim chance you might even 'get away with' one coat...even for a house on the market
I couldn't do it in a customers home...I never would even consider it
The other problem is, most that attempt this also buy cheap paint, which is even less likely to cover in one coat
Same color, maybe you could 'get away with it'
Over paneling, you'll be lucky if you don't need 3 coats of color

I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 10-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Painter

When I redo wood paneling or trim, it almost always turns into a 4 coat process, so I usually try to double prime and then 2 topcoats. I usually use something like Coverstain, an oil base primer, rather than BIN for something like this, but either one will work fine.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Systems Fanatic

Trade: Painting

We've had a couple of jobs where we primed the paneling, skim floated the grooves and seams, and then textured. When we were done it looked like drywall. It save a lot of money for the customer-- we didn't have to remove and replace moldings, hang the rock, etc.

Brian Phillips
Old 10-02-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
Pro

Trade: general contractor/ remodeling
Send a message via Yahoo to send_it_all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
We've had a couple of jobs where we primed the paneling, skim floated the grooves and seams, and then textured. When we were done it looked like drywall. It save a lot of money for the customer-- we didn't have to remove and replace moldings, hang the rock, etc.

Brian Phillips
I have a customer that I am talking to right now about doing this in the master bedroom of a rather nice house. The bedroom is an addition (480 s.f) and had paneling put over unfinished drywall. I gave a price to remove paneling, tape, texture, and paint. The customer countered with "someone told me I could just skim over the grooves in the paneling and paint over that". I said "how does that save you anything?..you think a taper would rather skim coat an entire 480 sq. ' bedroom or just tape the joints?" besides that, I can walk around the room and push on the paneling in spots where it is loose. I would think that would just pop the compound out of the grooves. It is a hillbilly way to do the job UNLESS THERE IS NO ROCK BEHIND THE PANELING...then I can see it.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Systems Fanatic

Trade: Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by send_it_all View Post
It is a hillbilly way to do the job UNLESS THERE IS NO ROCK BEHIND THE PANELING...then I can see it.
We used alot of screws to secure the paneling.

It saved the customer quite a bit of money because the paneling was 1/8" thick. Even if we used 1/4" rock, the moldings weren't going to fit properly. I gave both customer's options, and they preferred this method.

Brian Phillips
Old 10-03-2007, 02:56 PM   #7

Trade: Painting contractor residential repaints/new construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by send_it_all View Post
I have a customer that I am talking to right now about doing this in the master bedroom of a rather nice house. The bedroom is an addition (480 s.f) and had paneling put over unfinished drywall. I gave a price to remove paneling, tape, texture, and paint. The customer countered with "someone told me I could just skim over the grooves in the paneling and paint over that". I said "how does that save you anything?..you think a taper would rather skim coat an entire 480 sq. ' bedroom or just tape the joints?" besides that, I can walk around the room and push on the paneling in spots where it is loose. I would think that would just pop the compound out of the grooves. It is a hillbilly way to do the job UNLESS THERE IS NO ROCK BEHIND THE PANELING...then I can see it.
Not having rock under it is not the best way to skim coat the groves, it will for sure flex and pop the skim coats off, you need the rock under it to screw it down tight and then you can skim it and make it look great and will last for many years, nothing hill billy about this process it has been around for years and is way cheaper to have done as well.
A.P.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #8

Trade: painting

two coats of shellac and then 2 coats of finish should be a good option, wear respirators with the shellac, good luck
Old 10-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #9
Pro

Trade: Painter

Textured wallpaper.