Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Painting over stained interior doors

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  boman47k 
#1 ·
Hey guys, first post; I apologize if this topic has been covered in the past. I am working on a remod, and the HO would like several interior doors, which are currently stained and coated with a dull poly to be painted to match the new base, etc. The painter has already come and gone, so I have been selected to complete this. The HO has acquired a Zinsser primer called "Cover Stain"; however, this is an oil based primer and the semi-gloss trim paint is of course a water based product. Aside from the obvious prep work on the doors (sanding, etc.), will the water based semi-gloss paint adhere to the oil based primer, or should I seek an oil based paint to complete the job?

#4 ·
Hey guys, first post; I apologize if this topic has been covered in the past. I am working on a remod, and the HO would like several interior doors, which are currently stained and coated with a dull poly to be painted to match the new base, etc. The painter has already come and gone, so I have been selected to complete this. The HO has acquired a Zinsser primer called "Cover Stain"; however, this is an oil based primer and the semi-gloss trim paint is of course a water based product. Aside from the obvious prep work on the doors (sanding, etc.), will the water based semi-gloss paint adhere to the oil based primer, or should I seek an oil based paint to complete the job?
Always read the lable and then do what you know works the best. Latex is fine

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.