Painting Oil Based Over Latex

Old 03-14-2009, 11:02 AM   #1

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Painting Oil Based Over Latex

I am a handyman that can paint, but not a 'painter' so I have some questions due to lack of knowledge and product. What are standard guidelines for painting oil over other types of paints. A client of mine says that the trim in his house was done in oil based paint and he is having me prime and paint over the old stuff with Sherwin Williams oil based products. I am havind adhesion problems (chipping and flaking, easy scratching etc..) on doors and some book cases. The baseboards and trim moulding seem ok. I believe the doors and book cases were previously done in multiple layers of latex with no primer in between. When I sand or scrape I get big flakes and sometimes go down to the wood. First, will the oil based bond to either latex or oil based products. And secondly how long should I let my primer and paint cure between coats and installation. I have been waiting 24 hrs.

Thanks

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 03-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
A bit abrasive.

Trade: Painting
Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Painting Oil Based Over Latex

lol, no.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #3

Trade: Handyman
Rewards Points: 10

No to what? Oil over latex? Oil over oil? Should the wood be stripped down or can I use a prep like acetone? Also is there a way to tell if the previous coats were latex or oil? All previous painting was done in flat finish. I am using semi-gloss

Last edited by Mark-It Done; 03-14-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Da Boss....

Trade: Painting and wallpaper hanging contractor
Rewards Points: 252

One of the previous coats is having an adhesion problem. Was the flat latex on there currently put over a semi gloss oil? The only way to cure the problem is to remove all of the problem coating. And that means stripping all of it off & starting with a sound substrate.

Oil can be put over latex. Never put latex over a semi/gloss oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schmidt & Co For This Useful Post:
Mark-It Done (03-14-2009)
Old 03-15-2009, 01:45 AM   #5
Pro

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 500

At least you admit what you are and what you are not. First you need to attack your poor adhesion problem, then since you are using oil prime everthing, then top coat it.
Yes you can paint over latex with oil. If your adhesion problem can be fixed with some minor scraping and sanding then you might be able to just do some spot priming.