Painting Deck Spindles

Old 10-08-2007, 07:19 AM   #1

Trade: Site work, underground utilities, estimating & layout
Rewards Points: 10

Painting Deck Spindles

What is the best way to tackle this. They are flipping me out. Not square spindles, they are decorative. Is a spray gun a good idea to help bang these things out? About 175 of them. I have a compressor.

Thanks,
Mike

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
Pro

Trade: Wood Restoration/Refinishing
Rewards Points: 150

Re: Painting Deck Spindles

Pressure treated?
Are they preprimed?
IF pt how wet are they?
What product are you using to paint?

If its bare pt wood you need to clean them first. If you are looking to truly paint them, then youll have to prime. Otherwise use a good solid stain preferable two coats of a self priming solid stain. Cabot pro vt would be an example.

Pro vt is some extremely thick stuff, but if you can get it to spray, spindles are very easy. Hit two sides of the spindle at a time and work your way down the line. Turn around and hit the other two sides. If your spraying you may need more than two coats depending on how heavy you're able to apply it

Deck cleaning and staining Wake County
Old 10-08-2007, 09:43 AM   #3
Deck Cleaner

Trade: Deck Cleaning, Staining, Restoration
Rewards Points: 500

Mike, If you are using a semi transparent stain as opposed to a solid like Charlie is talking about, you can get an HVLP gun (attach to your compressor) to hit the spindles.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #4

Thanks for the help.
They are PT and dry. They looked clean to me, I just installed them in May. Should I have applied some sort of cleaning agent first or do you mean to just get any dirt/dust/webs/bugs off of them? I bought the paint at H.Depot, white satin. Behr, they said its primer and paint in one. I already put the first coat on the railings. Did about 10 spindles and figured there must be a better way of doing these. I don't mind investing in a gun because I have another deck that needs to be painted again.
I have never used a paint gun and don't know if thats just a bad idea with spindles. I imagine you can adjust the paint broadcast, narrow it down for those skinny buggers so you don't have huge waste.
Do you guys/girls think a spray gun is a good idea for this? Please say yes.
If so, do they make them specifically for this type of work? Or should I just get something that has an adjustable spay width? Since I have a compressor should I buy that type of gun or should I look for something self propelled....or does that even matter?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Send a message via AIM to Humble Abode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backsight View Post
Behr, they said its primer and paint in one. Thanks,
Mike

I'm going to let others handle that one...

Anyway, I would buy a gun like the others suggest. Just get someone to stand on the other side of the railings with a drop cloth or a piece of cardboard while you spray.

It's going to take a long time with an HVLP gun too... Be sure to follow the directions on the can for thinning the "paint" you are using.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

First off, dump the Behr according to your local regs
Or better yet, try and get your money back
If they refuse, just leave it there

I am totally serious
That stuff is complete garbage and if it ever goes on, will look crappy, last crappy, and completely ruin any attempts at fixing it 3 years down the line
You'll have to flip/replace the boards...it's that bad, and makes that much of a mess
I'm not kidding

Then never ever ever get any coatings from HD or L again, nor believe anything they tell you about their products

Anything you buy from any actual Paint Store will kick Behr's A$$

I'd suggest Sikkens or Cabots
BM and SWP are OK too

Best application device for oil stains on installed ballusters:
small (2") Bestt Leibco Stainer (fatty)
-but that can depend on what you are using for stain also...I wouldn't use it for SWP latex stain
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 10-09-2007, 05:43 AM   #7

That sucks about Behr. I'm wishing I asked these questions before I started painting. I believe I'm too far into it to turn around now. Everything has its first coat....except those SOB spindles. The decking is correct deck, so thats not getting painted.
Should I switch products at this point. I'm going to do atleast one more coat, maybe two more. Probably not a good idea to be switching.

Another rookie question; Is paint sometimes referred to as stain? People keep using the word stain, although I am painting the railings white.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-09-2007, 06:47 AM   #8
...jammin

Trade: Rock Disciple
Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
I'm going to do atleast one more coat, maybe two more. Probably not a good idea to be switching.
Incorrect
It would be best to switch ASAP
Quote:
Another rookie question; Is paint sometimes referred to as stain? People keep using the word stain, although I am painting the railings white.
No...well, yes....but not by people who know what they are talking about
Decks should be stained, not painted
Railings...eh....I'd still stain them, but you already painted them
So if it's a solid stain, people might not see the dif
I have never used this crap before and I pray to the paint gods that I never have to use it again, I would rather use Behr
Old 10-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #9

Bought a HVLP gun last night. Will be spraying like crazy tomorrow morning. Got some cardboard and test spindles set up in the backyard for testing to try to get the gun adjusted correctley. Heading off to the paint store this afternoon to get a different kind of paint and some thinning instructions. Is it worth the money to by the thinner they sell or do you guys just use water?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:24 PM   #10
Painting Contractor

Trade: Painting Contractor
Send a message via AIM to Humble Abode

For latex paint I just use water to run it through an HVLP. For oil I will use Mineral spirits for spraying and Penetrol for brushing.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:50 PM   #11

Trade: Painter
Rewards Points: 75

I like the fattest mini roller you can find. HVLP will make a mess.IMHO. I am a 30year veterin spray man but sometimes a mini roller is the easy way to go. us a heavy nap so it will wrap 50% of the picket. Mike in Moab
Old 10-12-2007, 11:05 PM   #12
Paint Pro/Faux Artisan

Trade: Painting Contractor/Faux Finisher
Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenewman@fron View Post
I like the fattest mini roller you can find. HVLP will make a mess.IMHO. I am a 30year veterin spray man but sometimes a mini roller is the easy way to go. us a heavy nap so it will wrap 50% of the picket. Mike in Moab
I agree- a fatty and grid in 2 gallon bucket will put the stain on faster and thicker than a sprayer any day. Roll a few spindles, then use a brush to "punch" the edges that the roller can't quite reach. It will go faster and no overspray to worry about...

Bob
Bay Area Painting Company