Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Paint sprayer yields "orange peel" finish

12K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  JKBARR127 
#1 ·
I purchased a Capspray 9100 HVLP paint sprayer primarily for the purpose of spraying interior doors and trim work with latex paint. I am using P&L Accolade paint and Ideal 2700 primer.

The primer has been sprayed on straight out of the can and the finish was as expected. However the P&L / sprayer has been giving me extreme grief for the finish coat of the doors and I am uneasy to move to the trim until I have the problem resolved. I have adjusted both the air flow valve and the volume, I have substituted the standard #3 tip with a #4 tip and thinned the paint with Floetrol up to 30%. The problem is that the paint simply will not go on in an even film (like the primer did - which I understand contains lacquer and is therefore thinner) and as a result does not get the smooth finish I expected. I have also tried to use multiple passes to get more paint on and opening up valve to get more paint on in a single pass.

Any experience here would be helpful.

#2 ·
You need a #5 needle with latex and depending on the viscosity of the paint it may need to be reduced by as much as 50% with water - floetrol is still too heavy for a HVLP.

I suggest trying thinner and thinner paint/water mixtures until you get the finish you're looking for.

I'd also suggest sticking with an airless for latex, HVLP is more for thin materials like clears/dyes/stains.

#3 ·
You need a #5 needle with latex and depending on the viscosity of the paint it may need to be reduced by as much as 50% with water - floetrol is still too heavy for a HVLP.

I suggest trying thinner and thinner paint/water mixtures until you get the finish you're looking for.

I'd also suggest sticking with an airless for latex, HVLP is more for thin materials like clears/dyes/stains.
Good advice!

We used to thin latex with about 10% mineral spiritswhen we used a turbine in our shop. In cooler weather, we'd heat the paint also.

A pressurized hvlp up gun cranked up to about 40 lbs, will spray latex staight out of the can.

Joe

#4 ·
What Rcon said. My brother is a pro painter and he recently told me not to use Floetrol but water for the latex instead. I was useing a pot sprayer with my air compressor and just did not have the pressure it needed to get the fine spray. I reduced it with almost 50% water to get close to the result I was looking for.

#6 ·
i use a number 5 tip when spring latex with my hvlp. use a number 5 tip and cut the paint as needed. also, don't put the paint on heavy. its easy to just wanna keep applying but multiple thin coats is what u want, not thick. again make sure the paint is cut enough. if not it wont spray correctly and some of the spray will actually flash as u shoot it giving u a finish like sandpaper. get a scrap piece and experiment until you get a mixture that gives u a finish u like. after a while ul be able to do it like its second nature.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.