Paint That Smells Like Butt

Old 10-19-2005, 10:36 PM   #1
Pro

Rewards Points: 75

Paint That Smells Like Butt

hello guys just a quick question. yesterday i opened up a can of kelly moore brand dura poxy enamel. and phewww it literally smelled like asss. i ended up not using it. i thought maybe something was wrong with it. any comments as to why it smelled like this?

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ContractorTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Old 10-19-2005, 10:54 PM   #2
DGR,IABD

Trade: Electrical; Commercial and Residential Service
Rewards Points: 2,000

Re: Paint That Smells Like Butt

Perhaps someone's hind end got caught in the machine at the paint factory?
I don't have a clue, but a thread about paint smelling like but was on my "must read" list.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:36 PM   #3
Pro

Trade: Cabinets millwork spec builder
Rewards Points: 150

Bit off thread, but withs with the new photo ...Looks like a fmr BIL -that still owes me money.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:31 AM   #4
Pro Painter

Trade: Painting Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

Hah, usually there's nothing wrong with it if it hasn't sat long past it's shelf life. I don't know exactly why it does that, but sometimes it's a good thing. Lemme splain myself....I was working on a job for one of my old bosses when the homeowner comes along and asks me to do some work that has nothing to do with the addition to her house. She wants a couple touch ups on her kitchen ceiling because she had recess lights put in....I'm thinking, great, what do I do tell the homeowner to stick it and possibly catch hell later or what. I remember mumbling something about telling my boss to have me do it. About 10 mins later she comes back with paint, and is waiting for me to follow her and do her little task. I open the bucket and WHAM, stink city. Only a gallon or so left in it. I immediately say the paint has gone "bad"... Needless to say after giving her a whiff and my assurance she didn't want THAT stink in her kitchen, I got outta doing the touch ups, hehe!
Old 10-20-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
Back from the dead...

Trade: Paperhanger/Painter
Rewards Points: 2,004

Some paints come factory-fresh with a funky odor. But if I was to describe it as 'butt', or 'a$$', I would probably question the viability of it myself.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
Custom Builder

Trade: From dirt to ridge vent
Send a message via AIM to Glasshousebltr Send a message via Yahoo to Glasshousebltr

Was the color 'Bronze Butt'?

Bob
Old 10-24-2005, 12:53 AM   #7
Pro

Well i don't know man, but it tripped me out as well. the color was western acuoustic but i don't know that was a weird thing, never smelled paint like that. I have had paint that smelled like rotten egg but never like this, it really puzzled me.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:48 AM   #8
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Humble Abode

I have always thought that Zinsers Deep Tint smelt like butt....

I think it just smells bad.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:02 AM   #9

Trade: painting
Rewards Points: 10

Perhaps it was ASSPIN brown or Kelly Moore Butte
Old 11-26-2005, 08:09 AM   #10
Custom Builder

Send a message via AIM to Glasshousebltr Send a message via Yahoo to Glasshousebltr

Maybe it was Glidden's Essence of crack in the heavy hanger high gloss?

Bob
Old 11-27-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
New Guy

Trade: Painter/Sub-Contractor
Rewards Points: 25

I've had quite a few old paint cans that were waaaay beyond their shelf life smell pretty bad. But never like ass as you explain.

When i saw the post it was, as someone said above, a 'must read'
I used to work for this one co. and there was a dude there that must have been raised in the woods. I can recal on more than 1 occasion of him doing some pretty nasty stuff. He was mad at a homeowner and ******************** down the framework in the attic! He also ******************** in a 5gal bucket of the customers touch-up paint on another occasion.
Ok, the homeowner may not have been a great person, But i can't imagine what was goin through this dudes head when he ********************s in a 5, mixes it up (cause we all know you gotta have consistency in your ********************/paint mix) and leaves it under the basement stairs!

Not that my reply helps ya with your problem or anything, its just when i say 'opened can, smelled like ass' I just had to share that with you all!

So next time you open a can of paint to do a touch up and it smells like that, take a good look...that big mess of crap in the can isnt dried up paint!

lol
Old 11-27-2005, 06:45 PM   #12
Custom Builder

Walked into a room one of my fellas was cutting in sat. He had the door closed and it smelled like crap. I thought about this thread and asked if that was the paint. He grinned and said "Yea, sure.... paint."

At least he had the courtesy to close the door.

Bob
Old 11-27-2005, 07:20 PM   #13
Finish Carpenter

Trade: Finish carpentry

What does butt or a$$ smell like? I have never had my head close enough or in my ass to smell it.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:32 PM   #14
Professional Remodeler

Trade: Remodeling Contractor
Rewards Points: 1,000

I use a product from Amer-Loc, I can't remember which one right now, but it is a two part high solids epoxy that smells like you just walked into an old outhouse on a hot July day. It smells baaaaddd!!!
The first time I used it I though something was wrong, called my supplier, and they confirmed that it is how it smells. once it was mixed and applied, the smell went away rather quickly.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:43 PM   #15
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 250

Which is worse, paint that smells like butt, or butt that smells like paint?
Old 12-12-2005, 06:00 PM   #16
New Guy

Trade: Division 9 (Painting)
Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to thepaintman80

Back in the early 90's when I was a kid working in Kelly-Moore's warehouse in Sacranento I worked with a chemist to recycle latex paint. It would come in from the surrounding counties in 55 gallon drums. We would have to pour it through mesh filters (paint strainers). It was part of my job to squeeze the mesh filters to get the paint through it. You wanna talk about butt smell? I can't think of many worse smells.

As for the Dura Poxy line (1680,1685, etc) I've never experienced that smell but the 5780 (DTM) that is another thing. I think maybe it's a combination of the Propylene Glycol and age of the product.